Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1

Skoolie ideas, input needed

Hello, I'm starting to look at skoolies as a possible future project, and found this site. In the next couple years or so, I'm thinking of looking for an early '90's Blue Bird FE flat nose with a Cummins and Allison or 80's Chevy/GMC with a Detroit/Allison combo. I'd like to make it into a toy hauler to haul my R/C trucks and a garden tractor. Air brakes will be perferred. Now, here are my questions:

What class are most buses? Most of the ones around here are class 6, but what about once it's "toy hauler-ed?"
Does anyone know if it's possible to get an air brake endorsment/restriction lifted on a class "C" non-commercial license in PA, or will I have to move to a class "B" I'm thinking I will anyways with some estimations posted here approaching 30K?
What about towing? I've read that it both is, and is not legal to tow with a skoolie. From what I've gathered here, it is legal, and popular.

Any other thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

RCpullerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #2

Re: Skoolie ideas, input needed

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure after reading on an RV site, that here in PA one can get an air brake endorsment with a class B non-commercial, which is what I'd likely end up needing anyways. Would it be possible to make a new roof that's squared up and as strong as the original?
RCpullerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: DD 671
Rated Cap: 73
Re: Skoolie ideas, input needed

As far as things are concerned in Oregon, you dont need any special licenses for anything plated as a motorhome as long as it is 40ft or smaller.
sauce is offline   Reply With Quote