Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie on cover of Bus Conversions Magazine

As background, 3 months ago two partners and I purchased Bus Conversions Magazine from the previous publisher. One of the directions we are taking it is to get the focus back on self converted buses and away from the $1M pro conversions. One thing that includes is more coverage of skoolie conversions. The October issue features a great 1971 Crown conversion by Erik Poppke as the cover/centerfold main feature. You can see the cover shot at http://www.BusConversions.com and purchase the issue in the online store if you want (Merchandise menu -> select "Online Store").

Also we will soon be adding a monthly column on skoolie conversions. We are actually looking for someone that would like to be the monthly columnist for that right now, so if anyone is interested, contact me via the web site's contact form. There isn't "pay" for the columns, but we can give a free 1/6 page ad to the columnist to promote their business if applicable.

For the month of October, all Skoolie.net members can get a 10% off discount on US delivery 1, 2 or 3 year subscriptions and Online Edition subscriptions or a $3.80 USD discount on international delivery subscriptions. You can subscribe online from the "Magazine" menu on our site or you can call me at eight six three-303-4 0 0 8. If you subscribe online it will have an entry box for the coupon code. If on the phone, just tell me you are a Skoolie.net member.

Coupon Codes:
US Delivery or Online Version - 10% off - enter code 76ECB0FF17
International delivery - $3.80 USD off - enter code 7E0C7A81D8

If you have any questions or suggestions, you can send them using the Contact Us form on http://www.BusConversions.com or call me at the number mentioned above.

(note: I did check with Steve for permission before posting this message.)

BusNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Skoolie on cover of Bus Conversions Magazine

Good post, glad to hear that the Mag. is changing it's focus to something a bit more interesting to the everyday person. I may subscribe, thanks for the information BusNut.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Heh, I know that bus! That silver Crown, well I have seen it a few times. The first time I spotted it was at a spot I go to now and then for parts Northwest RV Supply in Eugene Oregon. It's a good spot for parts right off of I-5 http://www.nwrvsupply.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc? Then I noticed it again on a corner at a nice self-storage facility parked and for sale in Eugene. It is a very impressive conversion from the outside anyway. I may subscribe to your magazine and get a view of the inside of that bus!
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

i see your number is an 863. where you located at? im in lakeland doing my conversion right now. just wondering.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeforthelight
i see your number is an 863. where you located at? im in lakeland doing my conversion right now. just wondering.
I full time in my RTS. Winter in Arcadia, FL and summer in the north Georgia/Chattanooga, TN area. I'll be back down in Arcadia right after Christmas. We'll be at Jack Conrad's Bussin' 10 rally in Arcadia for New Year's. The following week we'll host the first of our "Bring Your Own Bus" workshops out at his place where we will have 3 conversion experts on hand and up to 12 project buses that participants bring and get guidance on conversion related projects they feel uncertain of their skills on.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 85
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Gas
Rated Cap: 66

thats awesome. would love to come out to those events. i was just in arcadia a couple months ago to speak. i ate at the chinese buffet. good food. haha.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
Bus Nut

It sounds like a nice site for info, but I have been trying for over a week to log into my account on it... All I ever get is a window asking me to log in. When I put in my SN/PW, it asks me to log in, rinse, repeat...

Yes, I told them about the issue.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojakai
It sounds like a nice site for info, but I have been trying for over a week to log into my account on it... All I ever get is a window asking me to log in. When I put in my SN/PW, it asks me to log in, rinse, repeat...

Yes, I told them about the issue.
I just sent you and email responding to the contact form you sent yesterday. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To let everyone know, our main focus so far since buying it has been on the magazine and getting the back issues set up in the online store. We haven't done much to the main site other than update company contact info. I apologize that the website has some things that aren't ready yet and/or need changing due to issues with the way it was set up. We will be making those changes soon.

There is an issue with the "Member Login" button that actually only works with the paid subscriber logins. We are currently developing content for the free membership section that we hope to have ready in a couple weeks, but it doesn't currently have anything in it. When it does, it will be specific selected articles and some other content, not a full archive of articles. Obviously we need to rewrite that statement on the main page.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

BusNut,

I've been a subscriber to BCM for several years now and look forward every month to every issue. Even though your magazine focuses mostly on coach conversions, there is a good deal in common with skoolie conversions, though I feel skoolie conversions are looked down upon just like a red headed step child. Personally I'd like some more in depth articles on plumbing installs as well as electrical work-arounds. There have been a lot of good articles in the past, but I for one can never get enough. Digitization is another subject I'd like to see explored as well....

You deserve a pat on the back!

Keep up the good work...
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the positive review. I agree there is much in common between both types of bus conversion. My bus is a transit bus, which also tends to get sub classed by some coach owners. In my opinion all buses are great machines and those that convert them are worthy of mutual respect. Many of the people that have over the road style coaches either also have skoolie conversions or have done them in the past or are considering one in the future.

That is one reason I am really hoping to get some more articles, including in depth how-to's type articles, that feature a skoolie. And I would love to find someone that would like to do a monthly 400 word column addressing topics specifically related to skoolie conversions.

Regarding digitization - If you are referring to digital editions of the magazine - we have it already. Subscriptions are available for the online edition and online back issues for about the last year are available in our online store. Print subscribers get free access to the online edition. Existing print subscribers can simply call or email me to let me know the username and password they would like to use and I'll set it up. The online edition is a text serachable PDF format that you can view online, download to your computer or even print out all or or in part.