Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2022, 09:21 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Skoolie Veterans: How chalky is your Enamel Paint?

I am in paint paralysis. I have read quite a few threads here about paint. I'm trying to prep my bus for paint in the next month and i just cant pull the trigger on what paint to use. This post might meander a bit, but i'm just looking for opinions/suggestions to either stun me, or help me decide.

The current plan is to paint the whole bus light gray and then bottom 2 feet-ish black. I may wait to spray the bottom until my bumper extension and toolboxes are in. I live in Florida, so the UV and salt spray are about as bad as it gets. The bus will get solar panels protecting 90% of the roof. I can HVLP or airless, but would prefer HVLP. I have an empty grass lot to paint in, but depending on timing, might be able to sneak into a family members barn..

So my original plan was to use Farm Rustoleum from Tractor Supply with a majic hardener. After shopping around a bit, looks like Rustoleum Professional might be the same or better. I assume this stuff is in-line with Acrylic Enamel Fleet paint, is that right?

Based on all the tractor forums, Acyrlic Enamels will chalk when exposed to UV for years. Funny story, my factory yellow bus is starting to chalk, so i assume the factory paint is a high grade Acrylic Enamel. Most of tractor restoration forums say chalking will start after a few years, even with hardener.

So here's my dilema, i think single stage urethane automotive paint is the best i could do and i can get what i need from Eastwood for around $1000. My only thing is that i know i'm going to hit tree branches and stuff and probably have to touch it up, so rattle can paint would be nice in case i need it. Also, since i'm painting before the build, i would be able to fix things i knock into the bus or damage along the way. Single stage urethane may require a bit more prep and primer before paint as well.

Does anyone have any feedback on chalking acrylic enamel or how well their rustoleum has held up?

Does anyone have any recommendations of a good fleet paint that has UV protection?

Anyone use a single stage urethane? This might just be durable enough to ward off tree branches.

fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Chalky. It's oxidized noticeably after 10 years. It was pretty noticeable after a few years. I'm not sure on the fix. Some suggest adding a hardener, some suggested using implement paint, and some suggested using an industrial epoxy based paint. I think a urethane of some sort would do better then an enamel.

I think any paint will chalk and oxidize over time, unless protected by some sort of wax. Even clear coats, which are meant to protect paint from UV rays, will chalk if left out in the sun unprotected.

I've got a sherwin williams nearby me, and if I were to do this all over again, they'd likely be the first place I'd call. The person answering might not know, but I'll bet that they have a number to call and find out.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Chalky. It's oxidized noticeably after 10 years. It was pretty noticeable after a few years. I'm not sure on the fix. Some suggest adding a hardener, some suggested using implement paint, and some suggested using an industrial epoxy based paint. I think a urethane of some sort would do better then an enamel.

I think any paint will chalk and oxidize over time, unless protected by some sort of wax. Even clear coats, which are meant to protect paint from UV rays, will chalk if left out in the sun unprotected.

I've got a sherwin williams nearby me, and if I were to do this all over again, they'd likely be the first place I'd call. The person answering might not know, but I'll bet that they have a number to call and find out.
Yes, i also agree that Sherwin Williams would be a great place to about ask non chalking direct to metal paint.
And like Booyah said, they can make a call and get real good support info from their engineering folks!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post

Thanks Booyah! I had read on a tractor forum, someone had said that Sherwin Williams had a fleet line with UV inhibitor. Ill check out my local store and see what they say. Its very residential around here, so i expect they will be thinking of a direct to metal paint.. Might be like you said where they have a referral to the industrial side of town.
Old 05-05-2022, 09:19 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Yes, i also agree that Sherwin Williams would be a great place to about ask non chalking direct to metal paint.
And like Booyah said, they can make a call and get real good support info from their engineering folks!

Thanks ewo,

Looks like they have an industrial line with some options. Ill check those out, looks like they are used on machinery and stuff.

https://industrial.sherwin-williams.....20218904.html
Old 05-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Thanks Booyah! I had read on a tractor forum, someone had said that Sherwin Williams had a fleet line with UV inhibitor. Ill check out my local store and see what they say. Its very residential around here, so i expect they will be thinking of a direct to metal paint.. Might be like you said where they have a referral to the industrial side of town.
I think I read the same thing. Seems like a good idea as some tractors sit outside in the elements for years. But, IMO they never look the greatest after sitting out all those years, but the paint is still attached, so I guess that's something.

You also need to consider how you're applying the paint. I sprayed my bus, and have no regrets on that and would recommend it, as it was easy to do and gave me an excellent finish. If you can use a can of spray paint without getting runs, you can use a spray gun. If you're using a roller/brush, your options will be limited.

If sherwin williams doesn't give you the warm fuzzy feeling after you hang up, I'd look at a single stage urethane. Get the correct activator, and maybe go a step slower as painting the bus will take awhile, and you want the start to still be wet when you get back around to it.

I'd also think about taking it through a truck wash once a year for their liquid wax. Maybe get your own liquid wax in a weed sprayer and apply that instead. That should keep it from loosing it's shine. Who knows, maybe that type of yearly wax application will prevent uv chalkiness with an oil enamel too.

FWIW, rustoleum has a line of spray cans that have a huge nozzle on them that gives a very large fan pattern. Maybe see if that line has your color available. I also read somewhere that the nozzle can be put onto their standard cans, but you'll burn through the standard cans quickly with it. I want to try doing just that on the next side project I do.