Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
oh I got it.. I was thinking more along the lines of people partying in hollywood and sleeping in their cars vs getting hotel rooms or driving home...

alot seems to be abuse of a privilege.. esp when RVers, campers, visitors of any kind trash a place...

even festivals and sporting events these days people think its OK to just leave trash everywhere...

the rent issue is getting bad everywhere.. at one time i think home ownership helped to solve the high rents.. however more and more people are remaining single and not buying because the career world is an all different place now than it was even when I grew up... people relocate and do it often... people are also relocating to cities again... rural towns that used to be able to offer solid manufacturing jobs dont exist.. more jobs in the cities means more people... here in ohio.. the city of columbus is growing so fast that both homes to buy and apartments to rent are in demand.. but rents in most nice safe areas of town are MUCH higher than house payments are even with the hot sellers market here... apartments in center city are being rented as fast as they can build them.. and they are building them fast.... at least once every couple weeks realtors walk and drive my neighborhood asking "want to sell your house? I have X number of buyers that would buy it today".. and they are for real... the modest 1400-1600 sq ft ranches with big basements like mine are in demand.. the palaces of 3000+ sq ft are not... small-is-big. and in terms of rentals same applies.. studios and 1 bedroom apartments rent twice as fast as bigger ones..

many small towns dont offer much in the way of employment or help for homeless while apartments sit empty or rent for cheap because no one ewants to live in those towns...

acquaintence of mine spent years being homeless in california, denver, Dallas.. now rents a 1 bedroom apt in a safe area of huntsville al.. A/C, dishwasher, laundry, etc for less than $600 .. comparable in the other cities was from 1300-2000..

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
oh I got it.. I was thinking more along the lines of people partying in hollywood and sleeping in their cars vs getting hotel rooms or driving home...

alot seems to be abuse of a privilege.. esp when RVers, campers, visitors of any kind trash a place...

even festivals and sporting events these days people think its OK to just leave trash everywhere...

the rent issue is getting bad everywhere.. at one time i think home ownership helped to solve the high rents.. however more and more people are remaining single and not buying because the career world is an all different place now than it was even when I grew up... people relocate and do it often... people are also relocating to cities again... rural towns that used to be able to offer solid manufacturing jobs dont exist.. more jobs in the cities means more people... here in ohio.. the city of columbus is growing so fast that both homes to buy and apartments to rent are in demand.. but rents in most nice safe areas of town are MUCH higher than house payments are even with the hot sellers market here... apartments in center city are being rented as fast as they can build them.. and they are building them fast.... at least once every couple weeks realtors walk and drive my neighborhood asking "want to sell your house? I have X number of buyers that would buy it today".. and they are for real... the modest 1400-1600 sq ft ranches with big basements like mine are in demand.. the palaces of 3000+ sq ft are not... small-is-big. and in terms of rentals same applies.. studios and 1 bedroom apartments rent twice as fast as bigger ones..

many small towns dont offer much in the way of employment or help for homeless while apartments sit empty or rent for cheap because no one ewants to live in those towns...

acquaintence of mine spent years being homeless in california, denver, Dallas.. now rents a 1 bedroom apt in a safe area of huntsville al.. A/C, dishwasher, laundry, etc for less than $600 .. comparable in the other cities was from 1300-2000..

Yes, there are still very reasonable rents in more rural areas outside of California.

I just rented out a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house on a large lot for $450 a month.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue-Bird
Chassis: TC RE 3408
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12V Mechanical/Allison MT643
Rated Cap: Blue-Bird says 72 pass.
This video is about the link between homelessness and urban decay, and it is an eyeopener.

gs1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
Almost There

I see lots of rvs parked in L.A.
You have to know where and when. Many signs say no vehicles over 7.5' high. Van dwellers everywhere.

The maps are good. I have had no problems in my Element.

for people who have a house, or apt , job, car and rv. They have to juggle or pay for rv storage as a lot of driveways are only big enough for a car or 2.

I think the cops don't bother people sleeping in the rv, van, car as long as they are parked legal and not partying. So many more tents and homeless pushing shopping carts than last year. All the money in this country..geesh. All the anti abortion people saying all lives matter ( abortion rates are down for a long time now, is not a good thing, women do NOT WANT to do it but must at times and should have the right to choose) but many don't want a homeless shelter in their neighborhood. If all lives matter then help people and kids on the street!

There is an old man who parks , LIVES at the library/senior center/council offices. I guess he has an arrangement. A girl I know got a ticket parking overnight there. He lives there! I don't think his vw bus even runs. Its filled to the brim. Every morning he sits on a lawn chair by the drivers door with one of his friends that come and have coffee with him. One had a cool old pick up truck. One is a lady in a car. I want to talk to him and make friends and find out what he used to do for work, when he was younger etc.
The plight of homeless elderly facinates me. What did they do, how they got to where they are...The ones who are not psycho. Just poor. Social security for many does not cover rent.

One old lady, recently homeless, who parks near me used to be a concert pianist and ran a non profit of some sort for artists for 30 years. Had houses, some lost in fire and mudslides, married 35 years, divorced, a long illness and now broke with no seinor housing avaible yet for her. Hope a good social worker can get her a little place soon. I think she is so disturbed now about her situation she is loosing it and is vulnerable. We park at night in a Safe Parking LA lot.
802trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 AM   #25
Almost There

That documentary on seatle is so sad. The mental, addicts, that commit 70 crimes in a few years! We need small sanatarians , treatment facilities, not jails for these people. That would be humane. Was it Regan who changed the law about that?

A billion$$$ a year! Build facilities for long term treatment and evaluation. None of this 30 day rehab crap for the seriously ill.
I swear, politicians do not have a humanitarian bone in their body, no guts to do something radical to help people. Oh, it's a free country they say. We can't lock them up. Well, so letting them die, freeze, starve and spread disease like hep A in san Diego because there is no place to crap and wash.

They put refugees in tent cities with latreens, showers, beds and food but can't do that for our 200,000 people on the street? Urggggggg I get so mad!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #26
Almost There

https://youtu.be/f8hBBm7hRqw

This is a good start
Old 05-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #27
Bus Geek

unfortunately theft and vandalism is huigh around homeless shelters so people dont want to have them nearby.. interesting thing though is violent crime (at least here) is not a big issue.. however the perception is that the homeless crowd are the ones robbing people at gunpoint or knocking them down for their wallets.. in reality its rare... occasionally a homeless addict strung out attascks someone. but the violent crimes arent generally committed by the homeless.. they will steal because its been a way of life to survive.. steal a GPS out a car , pawn it and its food for a week or two..

I totally agree on something Long-term for people.. as noted 30 day rehab programs dont work.. maybe for a short while.. but thats not going to get a person any more than Detoxed ... its not goingto help them get a Job or real mental / physical health care.. mental medications dont work in a day or a week... they take much longer..
Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #28
Bus Nut

@802trees Eugene is always at least a bit ahead of the curve. It is difficult to see something like that happening any place else in Oregon, especially with the unanimous support of the city council.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I think it's absolutely crazy for Seattle to provide Heroin Safe Injection Sites where you can go in and get a clean needle and shoot up at your own little "station".
They were suppose to cut down on drug deaths from sharing dirty needles. Now you can have fresh needles and shoot till the drug kills you instead. No rehab or education associated with these stations
Attached Thumbnails
safe-injection-site_AP_620-620x370.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #30
Bus Nut

@marc01, I don't know if you watched the video I posted, but in it they talk quite a bit about the 3 gram rule, which effectively decriminalizes the possession of less than 3 grams of heroin or cocaine. So as long as the dealers are careful about how much they're actually carrying, it effectively decriminalizes dealing too.

So that attracts heroin addicts from the rest of the country, which is the main reason why there are so many addicts in Seattle. When I go through Seattle I don't even like to slow down any more.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949 View Post
@marc01, I don't know if you watched the video I posted, but in it they talk quite a bit about the 3 gram rule, which effectively decriminalizes the possession of less than 3 grams of heroin or cocaine. So as long as the dealers are careful about how much they're actually carrying, it effectively decriminalizes dealing too.

So that attracts heroin addicts from the rest of the country, which is the main reason why there are so many addicts in Seattle. When I go through Seattle I don't even like to slow down any more.
Probably one of the reasons my brother lives on Bainbridge and not the mainland.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Yeah, Bainbridge would be far enough for most people, but where I am now is roughly equidistant between San Francisco and Seattle, so that's just right for me.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
I've read that Great Britain has had legal prescription heroin for a good many years now - addicts are able to deal with their drug problem in a way that they can maintain a ( somewhat ) normal life, hold done a job, and drug related crime and homelessness is much lower than it is in North America
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #34
Bus Nut

In the mid-70s I was in BC, Prince George to be precise, which at that time had the highest per captia rate of heroin addiction in either Canada or North America, I can't quite remember which. Most people in Central BC either did not know this or did not care. But I worked at a plywood mill with a former heroin addict who had kicked heroin with methadone, and then managed to get off the methadone, and then went on to successfully turn his life around, so I knew.

However, such programs died during the budget cutting frenzy of the 80s and people went back to ignoring the problem.They're still trying to ignore it, but with the way addicts tend to concentrate themselfs, ignorance has become more difficult, so now it's time to blame. Except politicians know how to wiggle out of being blamed for the things they have done or not done.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
In the mid-70s I was in BC, Prince George to be precise, which at that time had the highest per captia rate of heroin addiction in either Canada or North America, I can't quite remember which. Most people in Central BC either did not know this or did not care. But I worked at a plywood mill with a former heroin addict who had kicked heroin with methadone, and then managed to get off the methadone, and then went on to successfully turn his life around, so I knew.

However, such programs died during the budget cutting frenzy of the 80s and people went back to ignoring the problem.They're still trying to ignore it, but with the way addicts tend to concentrate themselfs, ignorance has become more difficult, so now it's time to blame. Except politicians know how to wiggle out of being blamed for the things they have done or not done.
every town seems to have a greater or lessor problem with addiction - even our village has problems and help is hard to get - seems they'd rather throw them into jail than rehab - PG is still a logging, mining, mill centre that attracts the rough and ready - I was aware of how it was during the time you speak of, but they seemed to have cleaned up at least their image since the 70's
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #36
Bus Geek

the problem is huge here... the police and EMT's all carry narcan and OD's are several per shift for most LEOs in certain areas of town... and I think like many cities people are tossed in Jail or week-long "rehab". and the cycle repeats...
Old 05-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I've read that Great Britain has had legal prescription heroin for a good many years now - addicts are able to deal with their drug problem in a way that they can maintain a ( somewhat ) normal life, hold done a job, and drug related crime and homelessness is much lower than it is in North America
They did it to supply the addicts and keep them from sending their money to the criminal gang element

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8205651.html
Old 05-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a8205651.html[/QUOTE]

They did it to supply the addicts and keep them from sending their money to the criminal gang element as opposed to the legitimate criminal gang element.

Barely indistinguishable nowadays. How do you really know who the crooks are running our lives?

Why do we put up with this?

Just thought I'd finish your statement for you.

Not sure how widespread drug issue is but methadone clinics are helping people cleanup, lead more normal lives again. My hat goes off to those with these addictions and work to help themselves feel useful and alive again.

John
Old 05-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Yeah, Bainbridge would be far enough for most people, but where I am now is roughly equidistant between San Francisco and Seattle, so that's just right for me.
Not quite sure I understand? Bainbridge is a bit over 8 miles from Seattle.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs1949

Probably one of the reasons my brother lives on Bainbridge and not the mainland.

I am aware where Bainbridge is but what I am not aware of is how to quote a message from someone in a response to another message from a third person, so I just copied and pasted the whole thing.