Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
Skoolie

Smoother Outside Lines

Hi guys I want to remove windows and smooth out the appearance of the side of my bus so need some ideas.

Anybody have detail pictures on their side window removal and blank off?

Here was my idea I want to remove most of my windows mostly to remove some more weight I figure removing the seats was 600-700 lbs I will assume removing all the side windows will be another 200-300?

Once removed I want to use aluminum to cover the openings I was told I can order the painted aluminum cut to width and length so it will be one piece all the way down the side I want to use something heavy like .050 aluminum then back it on the inside with some sort of foam board most likely the stuff with the aluminum foil coating for the reflective value.

One of my concerns is at the top of each window there is a cutter or splash guard I would like to remove them to give the side of the bus a more flat appearance since their is no longer windows there, any ideas? Pictures of someone else conversion would be helpful.

I also want to remove the folding bus door I seen on conversion where they installed a RV door but I think I want more glass in that area for driving any ideas on this? Even the folding door is hard to see out of with the center hinge, my first thought is to make a whole new door from scratch with a metal frame then install a bigger glass it would hinge like a RV door on the forward side.

Has anybody removed the stiffener or bumpers that run down the side of the bus to give it a smoother appearance?

Thanks for the help and ideas.

If the sun comes out today I will take some pics of the gutters on the side I want to eliminate.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I kept all my windows, so I can't help you there.

FWIW...the gutters on my bus do a good job of keeping the rain off the windows....
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:55 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I plan to use galvanized steel for covering the windows. I would worry about aluminum corroding where rivited. Are you planning on using something like Sika Flex to glue the skin or rivits? Whatever material you use be sure to do it on a really hot sunny day or in a heated shop. You don't want the metal expanding and wrinkling when it warms up.

Some will probably not agree with me on this one. I have seen many conversions where they removed the rub rails. They do provide some support but even if you take them off the bus will still be a lot stronger than a stick and staple RV.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
I asked the same question on the Skoolie Conversion group, on Yahoo but I was thinking of using fiberglass panels, that you can buy at home depot.

If you are a member of Skoolie Conversion group, check the photos of P.J.s Bus

The url is:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sk ... %26.view=l

Another source of covering windows can be found on the "Blackman Family Bus" site. He shows you what he did on his bus and how he skinned the windows.

His url is:

http://members.aol.com/tblack5621/busweb.htm

I'm sorry but, I haven't tried to take off the rails and frankly, for the weight I'd lose, it's not worth it. But thats my opinion.

I would suggest to check on the Strato Cruisers sites to see if you can find some info on that. A good siite might be Coach Conversion Central. They have some articles that cover conversions on buses. A good article is written by Fred Hobes, covering a lot of steps in converting an MCI.

Coach Conversion Central's url is:

http://users.cwnet.com/~thall/articles.htm

I hope this helps.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

On the Rocket (see avatar) I riveted galvanized sheet metal to cover the spaces where I had removed the windows and tracks. Had I used aluminum on my steel-bodied bus, I would have had major problems with electrolosis (is that the right term or is that for hair removal?) between the metals causing corrosion. I did have aluminum emblems on the side of the bus but I insolated them from the steel with a rubber gasket, cut from an old inner tube and plastic nuts, washers, and bolts.
The drip rails could probably be removed without major leakage, provided you employ a vigorous amount of caulk, but with the way a bus body flexes and twists, it would be a constant issue. I know you are going for a smooth look but those drip rails do a great job of shedding rain water. It's a real drag to wake up in a thunder storm and see water leaking onto the wood floor of the cabin from the inside of your insulated walls! As you can tell, I'd leave the drip rails alone but I also know that practicality sometimes takes a back seat to art. Just make sure you have a mop! Of course, if your bus body is already aluminum, you could heliarc the panels in place (with drip rails removed) and simply grind your welds smooth.
The rub rails do more than strengthen the sides of your bus. They also support and stiffen the thin sheet metal skin of the bus and keep it from warping. Those panels can actually rattle at speed. When I covered my old window openings I had this problem and had to salvage more trim (rub rails) from another old bus and install them. Go to http://www.gentlekharma.com and click on the Rocket link to see what I mean. It worked great.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #6
Skoolie

Well I spent 20 minutes trying to sign up for the yahoo thing jumping through all their hoops answering all their dumb questions 3-4 times before they were good enough for them to accept me typed in about 15 different passwords TWO times before it would accept one, I think I got the last user name available on yahoo ( Your Yahoo! ID: onerustypp91832201001) they rejected everything else only to get this ERROR to your link.

Error
GROUP_CHECK

ADVERTISEMENT
gpg6.bc.scd.yahoo.com:GROUP_CHECK

Dont botheer fixing the link I have no plans going back to the yahoo thing its just not worth BS and jumping through all the hoops and crapola.

For the life of me I see no reason to provide information to help others when they cant freely access it keeping it locked up in yahoos domain it not only worthless info its just plain stupid!

Rant off!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Sorry, it really wasn't that hard to sign up in the past.

Try those other links, they do have a lot of information and you don't have to jump through hoops.

Robert
Old 11-29-2005, 12:30 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
Sorry, it really wasn't that hard to sign up in the past.

Try those other links, they do have a lot of information and you don't have to jump through hoops.

Robert
No need for you to apologize its not your fault its yahoo and others wanting to make money off me and to market my profile, why I dont know I made up all the info they ask for, the email address I gave will be deleted in a month and I will make up another one , I just want to see the bus info I dont want to spend a day learning to use yahoo crapola, I dumped my frustration here because I could not find a place on the yahoo thing to tell them to stick their thing up their #$% no doubt they are use to people doing that because they hide their complaint department link LMAO

Dont get me wrong the other links you gave worked just fine and were very helpful thanks for the replies, its a shame there is other useful info I cant access.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Bus Nut

No apaology necessary, I just felt bad that you had to go through the cr@p.

I'll try to see if I can find some more links for you (I think I remember something about removing rub rails).

Good luck on your project.

Robert