Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Snapped Driving Chair Air Line

Hey All,

We're supposed to leave tomorrow but I just had an unfortunate incident with the air supply to our driver's chair that resulted in it snapping in half. By any chance, do you guys know of a quick fix for such a snap?

Do you think heavy application of duct tape might do the trick? Or is there is a fixture or fitting that might work to remedy this?

Many Thanks,
Rory

03dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
No on the tape. Go to NAPA and get a compression fitting.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03dunner View Post
Hey All,

We're supposed to leave tomorrow but I just had an unfortunate incident with the air supply to our driver's chair that resulted in it snapping in half. By any chance, do you guys know of a quick fix for such a snap?

Do you think heavy application of duct tape might do the trick? Or is there is a fixture or fitting that might work to remedy this?
Tape won't work. That line will be running at full air tank pressure in the neighborhood of 120 psi. It's very likely to be a standard tubing size, however, so you can get a coupler/union (or a cap) from nearly any plumbing supply or home center. The Watts Quick-Connect white plastic push-on type will probably be fine (I've found one or two of those in my bus), and the conventional brass compression type also would work. If you go with the brass compression coupler, and because the air line is plastic, I recommend buying the white plastic Delrin compression sleeves instead of using the brass type included with the fitting, but the brass will do too. If you get these, you'll notice they're asymmetrical. The long tapered side goes toward the fitting and the short, almost perpendicular-cut side goes toward the nut. With the brass type, be extra careful not to get it cocked on an angle because it won't seal and it'll also cut into the tube. The brass insert inside the tube is also vital regardless of the type of sleeve used.

The chair line is likely to be 1/4" OD tube -- same stuff as evaporative coolers, ice makers, etc. Any place that sells plumbing for that kind of thing should have what you need.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Tape won't work. That line will be running at full air tank pressure in the neighborhood of 120 psi. It's very likely to be a standard tubing size, however, so you can get a coupler/union (or a cap) from nearly any plumbing supply or home center. The Watts Quick-Connect white plastic push-on type will probably be fine (I've found one or two of those in my bus), and the conventional brass compression type also would work. If you go with the brass compression coupler, and because the air line is plastic, I recommend buying the white plastic Delrin compression sleeves instead of using the brass type included with the fitting, but the brass will do too. If you get these, you'll notice they're asymmetrical. The long tapered side goes toward the fitting and the short, almost perpendicular-cut side goes toward the nut. With the brass type, be extra careful not to get it cocked on an angle because it won't seal and it'll also cut into the tube. The brass insert inside the tube is also vital regardless of the type of sleeve used.

The chair line is likely to be 1/4" OD tube -- same stuff as evaporative coolers, ice makers, etc. Any place that sells plumbing for that kind of thing should have what you need.
agreed 100%

at the dairy processing plant I worked at, we used the Stainless Steel "watts style" version for everything from Air, Remote Machinery Lube Zerts, and Caustic Cleaning Chemicals.... blow a 1/4 poly line? trim the ends, slip on coupler, up and running in minutes! It took longer to walk to and from the tool crib.
milkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Good point milkmania: I totally forgot to mention trimming the ends to be clean and square. Also check that the tube isn't cracked or kinked, and that there's enough length left so that the tube won't be strained when the chair bounces to its upper limit. If more tube is needed, get nylon air brake tube from NAPA etc. I don't actually know why nylon is used instead of polypropylene like the ice maker tube.. probably tougher/more abrasion resistant?
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote