Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Re: SO Bummed out! Bus is dead.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
I have been ripped off most often and most quickly by those that CLAIMED to be religious, and living their lives "in God's name". Therefore, I am leary of those who tout religion as their reason for doing ANYTHING.
I almost posted something like this a couple of days ago, but held off because I was afraid it might offend some people who have been here a lot longer than I have. I also am not prejudiced against religious folks: in fact, I AM one, according to some standards. But "praise the Lord" in a business or political setting has long been a red flag for me, and that bothered me right away when I looked at the Archambault's website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesuitLarson
It has been my experience that, if someone has to tell you they're honorable, they're usually not.
Hear, hear!

zamfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

yep if you have reverse your tc is working your clutches are fried is my guess. have you dropped the pan yet vanman?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #63
Bus Nut

oil analysis is an amazing tool,
it works as a one time tool, but it works best as part of a routine maintainence program, IIRC it started out in the aircraft industry, these days most progressive heavy equipment users sample lube and coolant on a regular schedule and use it to track fluid contamination and component wear so that they can schedule maintainence and/or overhaul before catastrophic failure.
most heavy equipment dealers an aircraft repair facilities have access to fluid sample testing, if you were to google oil sample I'd bet that it's available online.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

FWIW your forward clutch is toast. But that's really neither here nor there.

I really have to wonder if Greg is watching this thread at all. One would hope he is and learning from it. This is probably the fastest growing skoolie resource out there.

I happen to work at a shop. It's amazing watching the difference between eating it or charging the customer from both sides. One of our owners happens to be a fantastic tech and has worked his way up in the shop. He is just fantastic with the customers and will do whatever it takes to make it right, even if we are not really at fault (though often we are...it happens).

One example is a snow plow that came in. It was an old Meyers E-47 that was functional, but was leaking fluid from anywhere it could. He and I took it apart and slowly replaced parts tracking down leaks from here to there. As we'd fix one piece the increased pressure would cause somewhere else to leak. Eventually we got it all together, but it wouldn't properly angle. The end result was that we toasted his pump due to THREE faulty quick connects in a row. We ended up buying a remanufactured, warranty-covered pump at our expense and mounting that up at our expense. All told with the small amount of labor we could justify along with the alternator replacement we also did for him we charged him something like $400. We ate a couple hundred bucks on the whole deal. The good news? The guy, who had been a first time customer, has been back several times with all his vehicles since then because he appreciated the service so much even though it is a 35 mile drive to our shop for him. He also is a very talented dog sled fishing guide in the BWCA.

On the other hand, we get PLENTY of customers that come in with off the wall claims. We might, for example, change a faulty alternator. As a diagnosis of an charging system fault I think it should seem fairly obvious that we test the battery using more than one method. Nevertheless, 2 months later that customer will be back with a failed battery (nevermind that it's -35* F outside) and claim that we screwed it up. We also get burnt by people with tires. They will run a slowly leaking tire for a month which results in the inner liner failing. We will inspect the tire and show them the damage and explain the cause as perhaps even give some lessons on maintenance. It never fails though. The people want us to warranty the tire (we will never get reimbursed for that failure) because somehow the tire was faulty.

It's a two sided fence. But in this case I think it's safe to say that there is a certain good faith warranty that is implied for failures that are absolutely not the fault of the customer such as this case and someone needs to make some effort to make it right.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:46 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

they are looking at this thread they are the guests that you do not see this is the sign for the FCB to redeem good fellowship now........ timbuk
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

gee we'd love to see the LINK to the message greg posted on the other group lambasting vanguy.... AND we'd love to see the email where thw "whackjob" who owns the other group threatened PHYSICAL HARM to ANYONE, ANYWHERE at ANYTIME! I looked you up on the OTHER site and found you're side of the story posted there, as well as greggs response. apparantly the whackjob simply let you both say you're piece but deleted any further arguing.. TYPICAL!
whodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #67
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Even that isn't enough to make me join their "group" so I can read it.

-Ray
Old 01-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat
gee we'd love to see the LINK to the message greg posted on the other group lambasting vanguy.... AND we'd love to see the email where thw "whackjob" who owns the other group threatened PHYSICAL HARM to ANYONE, ANYWHERE at ANYTIME! I looked you up on the OTHER site and found you're side of the story posted there, as well as greggs response. apparantly the whackjob simply let you both say you're piece but deleted any further arguing.. TYPICAL!
yeah arky I'd love to see that link too... can I view it, or do I have to BECOME A MEMBER FIRST?

Gee arky, how many people does that make that think you're completely nuts? I bet it's in the 100's now at least. Just keep telling us otherwise though, I'm sure eventully we'll what an awesome guy you are. Oh and brag some more about how awesome the Yahoo site is... so awesome that you have to come over here and check up on us all the time. Be sure to include a few links noone can view. Maybe you'll pick up a few more members.

"The site owner had deleted almost all of his post about the experience but, after some detective work, I was able to find... " - Wow what a cool site... wish I was still a member.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
they are looking at this thread they are the guests that you do not see this is the sign for the FCB to redeem good fellowship now........ timbuk
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #70
Almost There

Year: 92
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

replace the radiator but do not bypass the trans cooler in the radiator, you can add an auxiliary cooler in front but be sure that the direction of flow is aux cooler first then radiator cooler then back to transmission, too cold of fluid can also damage transmissions which is what makes the radiator mounted heat exchangers so popular with manufacturers they maintain heating when necessary as well as cooling for the transmission, there are exceptions where the transmissions are equipped with t-stats that control the rate of flow through the cooler but unless you know the vehicle is equipped this way it is important to keep the radiator mounted heat exchanger
bbbrt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #71
Bus Nut

glycol ether is also common in many solvents.
we used to use it to flush water and antifreeze contaminated engines to keep the antifreeze from eating the engine bearings. that was back in the good old days before butyl cellusolve was considered a "hazardous material"

no visable external leaks and good performance on test drive,
trace amounts of antifreeze in the oil sample also,
trans leaks fliud but level doesn't go down,

many "snake oil" products on the market to "fix your trans leaks or performance"

it's common practice fo many agency's to bandaid equipment that they are about to replace instead of repair it properlyat a cost that they will never recover.

to many unknowns about the bus's previous maintainence to point any fingers, it's time to fix the bus and let the blame thing go.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
Food for thought, the fellow whose property Cheese Wagon is watching has a brother who blew lines off of an Allison auto at speed (86 F7000 dumper with 3208 Cat), blew every bit of fluid out until it wouldn't go anymore, and was back up and running with a simple replacement hose. This has happened twice with the same truck. That tells me something was seriously wrong with your tranny before you even bought the bus
Err...sorry, but I must point out this tells ME that the dude's brother is a fricking idiot!

(PS--That'd be an F700 or an L7000, not an F7000.)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #73
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:

Err...sorry, but I must point out this tells ME that the dude's brother is a fricking idiot!

(PS--That'd be an F700 or an L7000, not an F7000.)

Quote:
Ford does build an F7000 truck. Check out truckpaper.com
Hehe....
Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 AM   #74
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
I found a used transmission at a truck salvage place here in Nashville for $650. I would have to find someone to do the R&R. I'm just afraid to "throw good money after bad" as they say and I'm thinking I could be buying another bad transmission. The quotes I have gotten so far are in the $3,500 range with a warranty on the rebuild. Just don't have that much cash right now after spending all we had just buying the bus.
I'm late in response I know....... but info may still be useful. It sounds to me like your front oil pump is fried. It is driven by the torque converter. Reverse is the only gear that will actuate with a failed pump. Changing the converter would not help on its own. The failing pump probably caused the converter to run irregularly causing the leak . I would change the trans out myself, but then I get paid to do that a lot .. It is easier to change than the C6 you have experience with because you can get to the bolts easier. All the parts are bigger and heavier, but with a transmission jack I can have the tranny on the floor in under 2 hours. with cleanup and reassembly it is an easy 6 hour job. I think that a rebuild with a guarantee is your best bet, but a guaranteed used trans is not a bad deal either if the price is right. ( get an oil sample done ) An off duty HD mechanic or bus mechanic if approached properly may do a Saturday afternoon job for $150 or 200 to R&R a tranny . The glycol ether is very likely part of a seal swelling additive used to stop leaks. I guess they noticed a bit of a torque converter seal leak and tried a seal sweller instead of doing a proper repair. If they had pulled the trans and changed the front seal and even the converter I think the transmission would have failed, unless the person doing the repair felt something obviously wrong with the pump.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #75
Almost There

A lot of tool rental places have transmission jacks........as long as you do have a flat level area to work on that the jack will roll on it really is something you can do. If I was your neighbor I'd jump on that offer , easy way to make a days pay ! I'd be surprised if you didn't have a taker if ya posted it on a local bulletin board or classified ad, post it as two jobs, one to remove , and one to install if you need the tranny out for a while. I bet you wouldn't want to work on your back outside today under a bus here :
Cold Arctic air and winds of 20 to 30 km/h are combining to produce wind chills of minus 40 to minus 45 over much of southern and central Saskatchewan. Lighter winds over southwesternmost regions will keep wind chill values out of the extreme category. These extreme wind chills will moderate in some areas early this afternoon as temperatures climb a few degrees, but then tonight as temperatures drop once again, central portions will likely see extreme wind chills redevelop.

Good thing that things have warmed up a bit though, last week we had windchills of -67 F . We do run School buses in these conditions ( down to - 40 or windchills of - 45C )and my job involves going out to the ones that don't start and getting them going. I agree that those core prices are greatly exaggerated in these parts, but I can't speak for your area. Maybe get a truckload of them and deliver them to Florida !!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #76
Bus Crazy

[quote:
Cold Arctic air and winds of 20 to 30 km/h are combining to produce wind chills of minus 40 to minus 45 over much of southern and central Saskatchewan. Lighter winds over southwesternmost regions will keep wind chill values out of the extreme category. These extreme wind chills will moderate in some areas early this afternoon as temperatures climb a few degrees, but then tonight as temperatures drop once again, central portions will likely see extreme wind chills redevelop.

saskachabushkian,eh? how many long johns are you wearing when those buses do not start? but seriously thanks for watching out for the kids? 0 degrees and still snow on the ground here,timbuk
Old 01-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #77
Almost There

Quote:
saskachabushkian,eh? how many long johns are you wearing when those buses do not start? but seriously thanks for watching out for the kids? 0 degrees and still snow on the ground here,timbuk
[quote:

I haven't pulled a pair of long johns on yet this year......have something WAY better ! polar fleece lined jeans. you can walk outside and be there for a few minutes before your legs start to notice ! I wear my coveralls over top , then a big work jacket , cap , safety glasses, balaklava, high visibility vest ( its still dark out till 9am or so ) and boots rated for - 80 C. I really do enjoy my job, but sometimes the travel to find frozen buses is scary and they can be over an hour away ! Often a break down or freeze up happens in a remote location. They are not bad buses, but they live in an extreme enviroment here, The break downs are not due to poor maintainance or anything but in a fleet of 200 stuff can sometimes happen . On just our regular daily runs in 2 days we do 1.5 times the diameter of the earth !!!!!!! plus all the extra trips . It can get pricey to have one towed so we go fix it where it sits (we take another bus out to swap with the driver)
I have 4 kids myself and a grandchild, and I wouldn't want any of them in danger, And the same goes for anyone else's child, I would have a bad time with sleeping if ANY child became harmed by my not doing a proper job.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #78
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I also don't think the 3208 was offered in the L, these trucks used larger engines than that I thought
Louisvilles used all sorts of engines, from 370 gassers (got my CDL on one) to Brazilian 6.6 and 7.8 New Hollands to 3208's to 3126 Cats to 8.3 Cummins C's to 2-stroke Detroits. There were some trash trucks around here for a while that had Allisons behind 3208's in L8000 10-wheelers (they also had a couple of older ones with 6-71 Detroits & Allisons). The same company also had International 4900 10-wheelers with 175HP T444E's and Allisons. Putt...putt...putt...

The slowest were probably the recycling trucks--none would top 60MPH. I recall an International S1900 with a 7.3 IDI (~160HP) and an MT643--with its 5.43 gears, 60MPH was about it (and OH, BOY did it smoke!). They also had an F-700 with a 6.6 NH (165HP) and an MT643, and another F700 with a 5.9 Cummins (a depressing 160HP...would barely hit 55 due to 5.57 gears) and also a 643. They also had at least 3-4 Internationals with T444E's and MT643's, and at least one Freightliner FL70 with a 3116 Cat/MT643.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #79
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Is that what the L in L-series Ford trucks stands for? Louisville? Weird.
Not weird...that's where they built them.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #80
Bus Nut

built in an engine factory in brazil, that nis aligned with ford somehow.