Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

SoCal Storage and Build Location Needed

Hey all ... Newbie here and just starting the skoolie desire/adventure. I am certain this will be the first of many questions.
Currently living in SoCal (Orange County specifically) with ZERO room/property to store or work on a bus. Will be looking at getting a 36+ ft bus and have called a few boat/RV storage places near me. None, so far, offer the ability to work on conversions at their property. Anyone have other thoughts or suggestions that might help?

RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
I have my bus out near Santa Clarita, I could ask if they have space. I supply my own power but there is water on site. There's also spots with power if you need it
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Get that storage/work spot signed and sealed BEFORE you start bidding on a bus. And while I'm at it, get a firm quote on insurance as well. Those two items have caused skoolies the biggest headaches. If you don't heed my advice and the project blows up I'll show no mercy when I say "I told you so!"
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Hey all ... Newbie here and just starting the skoolie desire/adventure. I am certain this will be the first of many questions.
Currently living in SoCal (Orange County specifically) with ZERO room/property to store or work on a bus. Will be looking at getting a 36+ ft bus and have called a few boat/RV storage places near me. None, so far, offer the ability to work on conversions at their property. Anyone have other thoughts or suggestions that might help?
You're doing the exact right thing by figuring this out in advance, and not underestimating the logistics tax on a build, on your wallet, your patience and your sanity.

My bus is parked in my driveway, right in front of the shop. I don't know if I could take on a build under any other circumstances.

Bus conversions are messy, noisy and annoying to others nearby. Progress will be slowed by heat and cold. Travel time adds significantly to the overall effort, and storage costs will just continue...

I imagine SoCal is one of the most challenging locations to do a build if you don't have space. A little google searching turned this up:
https://www.neighbor.com/driveway-pa...0aAgCEEALw_wcB

You'll have to be dedicated, creative, and prepared to eat, sleep, dream bus conversion while the clock ticks.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Get that storage/work spot signed and sealed BEFORE you start bidding on a bus. And while I'm at it, get a firm quote on insurance as well. Those two items have caused skoolies the biggest headaches. If you don't heed my advice and the project blows up I'll show no mercy when I say "I told you so!"
Jack
Thanks much! Of course getting a "firm quote on insurance" seems a little cart before the horse if I don't know the exact skoolie I am going to be insuring. But I get your inference and appreciate the advice immensely!!
Old 07-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
You're doing the exact right thing by figuring this out in advance, and not underestimating the logistics tax on a build, on your wallet, your patience and your sanity.

My bus is parked in my driveway, right in front of the shop. I don't know if I could take on a build under any other circumstances.

Bus conversions are messy, noisy and annoying to others nearby. Progress will be slowed by heat and cold. Travel time adds significantly to the overall effort, and storage costs will just continue...

I imagine SoCal is one of the most challenging locations to do a build if you don't have space. A little google searching turned this up:

You'll have to be dedicated, creative, and prepared to eat, sleep, dream bus conversion while the clock ticks.
Much appreciated!!! Thank you!!
Old 07-06-2022, 09:55 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Where are you in Orange County?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:57 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post

$$ Yikes $$
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
Where are you in Orange County?

John
Laguna Hills
Old 07-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Bus storage with working area

I have a condo in OC, but my son lives in the high desert. I got a storage lot there with an open corner space. I am allowed to work on my bus as long as I use my own power. I have a generator, so that works for me. Right now it is being used just as storage while I wait to have my catalytic converter which was stolen, replaced.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote