Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Solar Panel Fire Sale

So I burned a bag of kitchen trash earlier in my fire pit. Went upstairs on the deck and watched it burn down some and then went to watch some TV. A little while later I hear this big BOOM. I get up to see what's up. walk out on the deck and see my whole back yard up in flames. I run down grab the hose and the first thing I notice is my pallet of solar panels is engulfed in flames and there's a big puddle of silver on the ground and they are popping and cracking. I start to fight the fire before it burns down my racecar trailer again (happened 2 years ago, undetermined), got the new turn signal, but not the tires this time. Last time it toasted everything but the frame.
Here's the sour grapes- I didn't like the size of those anyway, would rather have smaller one. $750 down the drain. Now I need to sell a both propane tanks just to break even. Seems the Fire Marshall will visit me tomorrow to give me an award.
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_223323.jpg   20190324_223614.jpg  

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Wow, sorry to hear about the loss! Could have been much worse, though.
I'm sure that situation got the heart pumpin'.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
So I burned a bag of kitchen trash earlier in my fire pit. Went upstairs on the deck and watched it burn down some and then went to watch some TV. A little while later I hear this big BOOM. I get up to see what's up. walk out on the deck and see my whole back yard up in flames. I run down grab the hose and the first thing I notice is my pallet of solar panels is engulfed in flames and there's a big puddle of silver on the ground and they are popping and cracking. I start to fight the fire before it burns down my racecar trailer again (happened 2 years ago, undetermined), got the new turn signal, but not the tires this time. Last time it toasted everything but the frame.
Here's the sour grapes- I didn't like the size of those anyway, would rather have smaller one. $750 down the drain. Now I need to sell a both propane tanks just to break even. Seems the Fire Marshall will visit me tomorrow to give me an award.
When I was a kid my friend and I stuffed a couple hundred of those little Black Cat fireworks in a rotten stump in his front yard and lit them off. We got bored after a while and went inside to play, although we could still hear some going off. At five his dad came running in the house: "WHAT THE **** DID YOU DO?!?!" We had set fire to the lawn - there was like a 50' diameter ring of fire slowly spreading outwards from the stump.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Oh man that sucks..what a shame of the panels..did you leave the starter fuel close by... Do not get the big boom.. There is not a whole lot to burn on solar panels.

Good luck. Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Oh man that sucks..what a shame of the panels..did you leave the starter fuel close by... Do not get the big boom.. There is not a whole lot to burn on solar panels.

Good luck. Johan
If the hand truck had pneumatic tires, that could have been the cause of the boom. The heat makes the air in the tires expand and then, eventually, the tire blows. Was across the street from a truck fire and the same thing happened to the front tires. Everyone was panicking thinking the whole truck had just blown up but I had read that the tires usually go first and it wasn't that massive of a sound.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm sure the boom was a 5ga. plastic jug when the fire reached the trash heap on the hill. The tires were solid I believe.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote