Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
somewhereinUSA out and about

Mumsywumsy and I went to our first bus rally this week. The Great Lakes Converted Coaches chapter of FMCA held their annual Surplus & Salvage Rally in Elkhart, IN. My son Scott and I combed some of the surplus dealers looking for ideas and deals. He got some of the things on his list, and I got the rain gutters I had been wanting. We both scored some 24 led light fixtures for $2.00 a piece. Here is a link to a page with pictures of the buses in attendance. As you can see everyone is welcome.

http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/2013salvage.html

Mumsywumsy seemed to enjoy herself even though since she doesn't like the salvage places and stayed back at the bus. She even put up with the lack of real comfort that a finished bus would have. We do have a toilet and hot and cold running water.

Looking forward to the next trip.
Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: somewhereinUSA out and about

Cool pics. It must have been nice to be among like-minded people.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

I can't speak for anyone but myself. Being a member of FMCA saved me $800.00 a year on insurance for all of my vehicles. Well worth the yearly membership.
The chapter I belong to, Great Lakes Area Converted Coaches, only has one member with something newer than 3 years old and that is a 2011 Prevost.
The next newest is a 2006 Prevost. We do however have a 1948 Spartan A,1955 GMC TDM,1954 Flxible Visa,1958 Flxible Starliner, and many in between those. There are two s&s Holiday Ramblers both over 10 years old.
They are a great group, kind of split into two groups. Those who bought it and those who did it themselves. Those who bought a coach already finished, mostly Prevost, obviously aren't in my price range. I don't have much in common with someone who can afford a bus that just having a slideout adds $100,000 to the price. They were however very friendly. They are less likely to show you their toys, but probably would have if I would have asked.
The do it yourselfers on the other hand couldn't wait to show you their latest build/accomplishment. They all thought my sliding screen door was really cool, and there was much discussion on how it might be made to work on their buses, but since almost none of them have a square door opening it would make the entry too narrow. I did get the plans to build a cruise control using a late model GM cruise module. It doesn't use vacuum so it will work on a diesel.

Quote:
And I told them it was because of the "thank the dealers" ststement
I find this statement to be just plain silly. Why wouldn't a large organization urge you to buy from their supporters/advertisers? They didn't say "If you don't buy from them you can't play with us anymore" Who knows you might have total brain fade and might want to buy a s&s motorhome with all of the cheap plastic stuff that will fail just after the 30 day warranty runs out. You could run out and buy from one of them.

The last few issues of FMCA mags have had some really good articles with pictures of the early days of FMCA. Most of the coaches were converted buses. Sure there are articles and advertisements about all of the newest motor homes, they help pay the bills. The mag isn't why I joined. You can pay good money for a magazine off the rack, all you get is a magazine, with maybe one good article about something that interests you, and you get a LOT of Pro this or that biased tests and advertising. For some reason I've been getting the Good Sam magazine, seems to be mostly a Camping World Catalog.

Quote:
These ARE NOT like minded people.
FMCA is the parent club, there are hundreds of chapters of people that may be like minded to you. I could care less whether you join this or any other group. I found a group I like. My son is in it. My wife likes it (means didn't object and went along) I obviously had the lowest dollar least finished bus there, and the only skoolie. Did the owners of the million dollar coaches come running over to look at it? No, why would they? Were they friendly? Yes. The group as a whole were friendly, nice, and helpful. Their rallies are close enough to be affordable, and they have a lot to offer. Many seem to be retired engineers of some sort. I'm not saying an engineer can necessarily build anything, but they have a lot of good ideas.

By the way, my son is an engineer, and he can do it too. This is the inside of his bus.Everything designed and built by him.
http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/mciinterior.html
The ladder to the roof hatch.
http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/ladder.html

Dick
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Your son's bus is A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

If I ever hit the lottery I'd like to do something like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Pulled post since "DICK" objected. Of course no one can say anything that someone else objects to. I just posted MY experience. And I still think telling folks to replace a 3 YEAR OLD RV is STUPID! Of course it was MY experience and obviously I'm wrong.

No replies will be read or seen.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

So, you pulled your post because someone had a different opinion than yours? That's interesting.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn
So, you pulled your post because someone had a different opinion than yours? That's interesting.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn

No I pulled my post because it's not worth hassling with someone who thinks I'm not allowed to have a differing opinion or experience. I'm not going to squabble over a crummy group like FMCA. I don't think much of them. I think they are a more upscale version of Good Sam. The FMCA junk mail just wasn't quite as bad. Speaking of Good Sam.... they found me again! I've gotten two pieces of their junk in the last two weeks... and we only check the mail once a week.

You see, I have read an FMCA mag lately. It is, just like it was when I was a member, nothing but a glossy cover to cover package of advertisements. Even their articles are ads. The reason I have read recent issues (and have read them off and on over the years) is because they are a nice thick magazine that is the right size to use as a folding form when I do laundry. So I "read" them. I'll read anything, and do, while I wait on the dryers. Did you know there is a magazine called "Cowboys and Indians". The Smithsonian mag is interesting but too flimsy to use as a folding form. But Dicky Boy seems to think otherwise and it's not worth it. So I'll pulled my opinion.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E

It is unfortunate that you feel that way. It is healthy to share different opinions. You have had your experiences, so has Dick. If you both post then others, including myself that have never dealt with Good Sam or FMCA can make informed decisions. Please don't remove your posts, it is all good information. If someone doesn't agree. oh well. Thats all I have to say, Cheers
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Sooooo lornadoodle is allowed to post differing opinions, which seem to be largely negative about some wrong someone has done, but when someone else has a differing view or opinion she pulls her opinion and gets all pissy about it.
My post was about something I did with my bus, and enjoyed. I get a post about some bad experience. My next post was more in explanation about why and what I experienced. I mistakenly thought someone might enjoy or find some of it interesting. Apparently I was wrong. I generally find something good in most everything. David must be a saint.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Come on guys. Is this really worth getting bent out of shape about?

He who wants to fight begins the end of time.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Bus Geek

the ladder idea is pretty pimp...with enough head room
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Sounds like a great time out and about in your bus...congrats
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
This is the inside of his bus.Everything designed and built by him.
http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/mciinterior.html
The ladder to the roof hatch.
http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/ladder.html

Dick
I know this is off topic (sorry) but myself and DW went to camping world the other day just for fun and get some ideas. They let us look in all the unlocked RVs, Some of which were $100-$200k. Your sons bus is as nice looking or nicer than some we saw! Beautiful work!!! You guys really are a talented family!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Some drama from the lama in here I see.

Hope this thread can get back on track

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

It's official, Molly likes the new parking spot at field trials and also likes the view.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
It's official, Molly likes the new parking spot at field trials and also likes the view.
That's only because she can "attack" from the sky (out of the window) like Snoopie
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Skoolie

Coachwork: Phantom
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: Series 50

Dick, your son's bus is outstanding! Please tell us what it is and post a pic or two. And, thanks for the FMCA info. I've been a member for several years, but have lately been hoping it might go back towards its roots a bit more. I'd like to see more stuff about buses in it. I participated in a local FMCA group till a couple years ago. I enjoyed the group although I was the youngest person there and single. All the participants had motorhomes, and some of them were expensive models. Regardless, you couldn't have found a more friendly club. I hope to start back as soon as my bus gets a bit more finished.

Your comment about insurance has my ears peaked. Please tell us more. Who is your bus insured with and was it through an agent or direct with the company? I'm considering a change soon.
LuckyChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
your son's bus is outstanding
It's a 1992 MCI MC12, it was a Greyhound that saw service in the south, mostly Texas I believe. There are a few pictures here
http://somewhereinusa.x10.mx/scott.html

The insurance is through GMAC, there was some sort of code number that I got in the mail from FMCA with a phone number. I believe I was talking direct with GMAC. I had to switch all of my vehicles, to get the savings, but that wasn't a problem with me.