Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
After some back and forth, Craftsman customer support agreed to forward my long shopping list to their retailer department. Waiting to hear from them.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
I have been trying to find a vendor to whom I can send a list of the sockets and adapters that I need for my toolbox, get a quote, place the order and have them shipped...

Any suggestions?
Yes, a time machine...

Sorry for the smart-ass answer. However, what you're asking for is an old-school sales/service model that doesn't really exist anymore--unless you're a big company, placing huge orders. It might work at a small, local hardware store, but with everything available online, companies aren't going to dedicate an employee's time chasing down individual SKUs, create a quote, and send it to you--on the chance you might order.

Even if they were to do this, it would be faster for you to go to one of the many sites that see these items, look them up, add them to a shopping cart, and see what it costs. Plus, you can save the cart in most cases, to help compare prices and order later. You could do this on several sites, long before you got a response trying a request for quote approach.

In fact--and I'm not trying to give you a hard time--you could have the prices already in the time you've posted and responded on this topic.

My two cents, for what it's worth.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:32 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post
Yes, a time machine...

Sorry for the smart-ass answer. However, what you're asking for is an old-school sales/service model that doesn't really exist anymore--unless you're a big company, placing huge orders. It might work at a small, local hardware store, but with everything available online, companies aren't going to dedicate an employee's time chasing down individual SKUs, create a quote, and send it to you--on the chance you might order.

Even if they were to do this, it would be faster for you to go to one of the many sites that see these items, look them up, add them to a shopping cart, and see what it costs. Plus, you can save the cart in most cases, to help compare prices and order later. You could do this on several sites, long before you got a response trying a request for quote approach.

In fact--and I'm not trying to give you a hard time--you could have the prices already in the time you've posted and responded on this topic.

My two cents, for what it's worth.
Your comments assume that there are sites online with the information about all the items I need. The fact that I am looking for a service to quote me for purchase should let you know how that exercise turned out. There isn't. If you know of a web site that has the entire Craftsman line of sockets and adapters available with prices, let me know, but so far, my conclusion is that such an animal doesn't exist.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:39 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I get it--you want it quick and easy, and I assume, to get it all in one order. For my job I often need to get long lists of materials and specialized tools for projects, usually on short notice. While I prefer to place one order, it usually doesn't work out that way. My point is, if you really need/want the tools, I think you'll need to do the "legwork" yourself.

But, sounds like you might have got a hold of someone that was at least willing to pass you off down their customer service line.

Good luck.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 4200
Engine: VT365 International
Check out Teckton tools. You can purchase them online and most if not all come with a lifetime warranty. It is my understanding if you break a tool you just need to send them a photo of the broken tool and they will send you a replacement. Some of their tools are made in the US and some high quality Asian imports. Read about them as they have a good stop and they are trying to fill the home professional market space for tools.

I no longer buy Craftsman tools. I don’t have an issue with the quality but I do have an issue with manufacturers that skip sizes. I hate it when you need an 11 mm and the manufacturer does not include or even make an 11mm.
Old 12-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #26

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas HDX
Engine: Cat 7.2
Used snap on tools on eBay can generally be bought for less money than pawn shop prices. … Gear wrench makes really good wrenches and I’ve heard that Milwaukee’s line of handtools wrenches, sockets etc. are outstanding but I do not have any personal Experience with that.… If they are anything like their battery operated tools I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them. JMHO
Old 12-11-2021, 04:24 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post
I get it--you want it quick and easy, and I assume, to get it all in one order. For my job I often need to get long lists of materials and specialized tools for projects, usually on short notice. While I prefer to place one order, it usually doesn't work out that way. My point is, if you really need/want the tools, I think you'll need to do the "legwork" yourself.

But, sounds like you might have got a hold of someone that was at least willing to pass you off down their customer service line.

Good luck.
No, you don't "get it." Again, you make assumptions about things that never happened. I've been to four stores and spent 1 hour+ looking at the clusterf**k that is their socket cabinets, which most places don't bother reorganizing after the average knuckledragging moron leaves it a mess. That does not qualify as "quick and easy" in anyone's book. Spent about $400 already, and simply want to complete my set. What's left to find is about 25% of the total.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:25 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
I no longer buy Craftsman tools. I don’t have an issue with the quality but I do have an issue with manufacturers that skip sizes. I hate it when you need an 11 mm and the manufacturer does not include or even make an 11mm.
Heh. I can relate to this. I'll look up Teckton. Thx.
Old 12-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
Check out Teckton tools.
Give the man a cee-gar! THAT is what I was looking for. Placed a $300+ order for all but a handful of what I needed! Thanks! They don't have a veteran's discount but I ordered anyway, since they had almost everything i need.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:24 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Catch craftmen set on sale. Try to pay less than a dollar per piece(like 120 piece set $92.00) and the have many sets that have all three size drives in it.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
Catch craftmen set on sale. Try to pay less than a dollar per piece(like 120 piece set $92.00) and the have many sets that have all three size drives in it.
That's a good idea, but for me it was not so good because I already have a lot of tools, some of which are decades old, and I just didn't want to wind up with a lot of duplicates that I don't use. Right now I am just trying to complete my set of sockets, adapters, universals, extensions, etc. Already have all the wrenches I need, except for a set of ratcheting wrenches which I bought because the price was right and I would only have four duplicates out of a couple-dozen individuals.

When I finish this then I am going to separate the stuff that I don't want (such as cheap sockets I bought at flea markets in Germany), as well as antique tools I picked up free off Craigslist as part of a bunch of other stuff from estates. I will pass that forward on Craigslist as well.

In the past few weeks I've also stocked up on power and air tools I know I will need for the skoolie project. I also know I need a bigger air compressor, but that would mean going to 240v, and I only have 100 amp service for the entire home. Maybe I'll run that off the Honda generator when I need to use it.

And then there's the really weird stuff, like a coffee can full of clecos and other aviation-specific tools. I'll keep those around in case there's sheet metal work to do on the bus.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:48 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2002
I understand having duplicates, I'll just found that it is much cheaper to buy the whole set which often come in a box it keeps everything neat and straight that it is to buy replacements for things that are missing. The ratchet wrenches are awesome oh, well worth the money. I do carry a lot of tools on each one of my buses and keep another full set in the shop. It one time I trim down the toolbox, but between the generator, bus engine, motorcycle, or toad , and other options on the bus I've not had the right socket or tool on several occasions.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:50 AM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Cummins 5.9 ISB 24v
I have had good luck with the cheap Harbor Freight hand tools. But for brand name tools pawn shops are by far the way to go.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus View Post
I understand having duplicates, I'll just found that it is much cheaper to buy the whole set which often come in a box it keeps everything neat and straight that it is to buy replacements for things that are missing. The ratchet wrenches are awesome oh, well worth the money. I do carry a lot of tools on each one of my buses and keep another full set in the shop. It one time I trim down the toolbox, but between the generator, bus engine, motorcycle, or toad , and other options on the bus I've not had the right socket or tool on several occasions.
That is something I have thought about as well, the need to have tools for both home shop and bus, but I will solve that by putting the stuff I want in the bus into a toolbox I can put into the bus with a hitch crane. When I get home I unload it the same way onto a Harbor Freight hydraulic cart.
Old 12-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I made the decision to use battery impact guns instead of air. It was an easy decision for me since my bus has juice brakes. Modern battery impact guns, like the Milwaukee's can do everything you need with the possible exception of breaking loose lug nuts put on by mechanics who can't pronounce 'torque wrench". 😁
Old 12-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I made the decision to use battery impact guns instead of air. It was an easy decision for me since my bus has juice brakes. Modern battery impact guns, like the Milwaukee's can do everything you need with the possible exception of breaking loose lug nuts put on by mechanics who can't pronounce 'torque wrench". 😁
So THAT's the problem.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
So THAT's the problem.
Of course I'm being facetious. But it's for sure that many mechanics put more than the 400 to 500 ft. lb. which is what I understand the usual lugnut torque to be on a medium duty bus chassis. My old Milwaukee 1/2" gun has almost 1100 ft. lb. of break away torque. If it can't break the lug nuts loose that means there's a lot of rust and/or overtorquing involved.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Of course I'm being facetious
I'm not. Spelling is not exactly one of the main goals of the US educational system.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:41 PM   #39
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
What's left to find is about 25% of the total.

Replacing 25% of a one or multiple sets by purchasing individual pieces is probably going to cost you as much or more than simply buying the full sets. 25% is a SUBSTANTIAL amount from any set.
I have 7 piece wobble impacts that were $180 a set (one SAE one METRIC). That's $25.71 a piece but none of the individuals pieces was less than $50 and the largest was $85 to replace by the piece.
I still have the entire original set. The mechanic I worked with was horrible about taking care of his tools and was always losing things. ALL of mine were engraved "just in case" there was ever an issue about who they belonged to.
Some people take care of and keep track of their tools, others aren't as careful and that costs buckeroos.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 12-12-2021, 05:46 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Replacing 25% of a one or multiple sets by purchasing individual pieces is probably going to cost you as much or more than simply buying the full sets. 25% is a SUBSTANTIAL amount from any set.
I have 7 piece wobble impacts that were $180 a set (one SAE one METRIC). That's $25.71 a piece but none of the individuals pieces was less than $50 and the largest was $85 to replace by the piece.
I still have the entire original set. The mechanic I worked with was horrible about taking care of his tools and was always losing things. ALL of mine were engraved "just in case" there was ever an issue about who they belonged to.
Some people take care of and keep track of their tools, others aren't as careful and that costs buckeroos.
Who said I replaced 25% of anything??? I said what was left to buy was 25% of the total that I had to buy in the first place. That is completely different from what you are saying. I have already bought a large number of other individual pieces to will empty spaces. I also said I bought sets where I could where there was no duplication. Tekton also gives me a 15% rebate on the entire purchase.
Closed Thread