Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zork View Post
Who said I replaced 25% of anything??? I said what was left to buy was 25% of the total that I had to buy in the first place. That is completely different from what you are saying. I have already bought a large number of other individual pieces to will empty spaces. I also said I bought sets where I could where there was no duplication. Tekton also gives me a 15% rebate on the entire purchase.

YOU SAID that "what's left to replace is about 25% of the total".

So I responded based on WHAT YOU SAID.

Now you're saying 25% of what you needed is still left. So I have no idea how much you need to buy. So if you started out needing to replace 10 of 1000 pieces you have about 2.5 pieces left to buy....no biggie. But it doesn't sound that simple.
If you started needing to replace 100 of those 1000 pieces, well you've still got 25 to go.
But none of us buy you know because all we're getting are percentages of what you started out needing, no numbers.
So, good luck.

We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 12-12-2021, 07:10 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
YOU SAID that "what's left to replace is about 25% of the total".

So I responded based on WHAT YOU SAID.
Nope. I said what is LEFT TO FIND is 25%. It's right there in the text you quoted. Try to get it right.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Ace Hardware still sells Craftsman tools where I live. I was a mechanic for 35 years. I have a lot of Craftsman tools, can't beat the price. They have been getting harder to get warranty for broken tools.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Yeah, I'd place my older craftsmen wrenches up against my snap on stuff any day. The new stuff is garbage. Rough edges, chipped chrome, and a wide tolerance on sizing. I could tell immediately it was different, because the chrome plating was real white colored compared to a normal chrome. And the surface, which usually had a "smooth" forged finish, was real rough and almost cast like.

Their ratchets were always a grade below snap on IMO, but the first 1/4" drive set I bought in 2010 got sent back because the ratchet mechanism was in pieces in the box. The replacement unit broke and seized solid about the 2nd use. I think I actually still have it around somewhere.

It's always disappointing to see something with decades of quality cheapened up like that.

most definitely.. ive got craftsman sets iave had since the 90s and even mid 00's that really have treated me well, someone recently gave me a newer craftsman set and i was really disheartened by how cheaply made it appears to be.. I have to find a new line of tools now.. I used to always buy craftsman because the ywere easy t oget.. unlike snap-on, MATCO, MAC, etc where I always had to be in nice wit ha shop or "know someone" or find the vans when they parked somewhere (I doint even see those vans since covid started)..

my Sewalt power tools have treated me with pure awesomeness.. never tried their hand tools but seems like people dont like them..

Hartbor freight stuff is OK for home use and their impact sockets arent bad but that stuff doesnt do too well when you need to push a tool to a higher level like hitting a wrench with a hammer or a pipe on a ratchet..
Old 12-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #45
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Harbor Freight stuff is OK for home use and their impact sockets aren't bad but that stuff doesn't do too well when you need to push a tool to a higher level like hitting a wrench with a hammer or a pipe on a ratchet..
Harbor Freight has 3-4 different lines of product for sockets and other hand tools. The high end for them is the "Icon" line and those are pretty good quality. A lot of the other stuff HF sells in their stores is utter garbage.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's a good idea, but for me it was not so good because I already have a lot of tools, some of which are decades old, and I just didn't want to wind up with a lot of duplicates that I don't use. Right now I am just trying to complete my set of sockets, adapters, universals, extensions, etc. Already have all the wrenches I need, except for a set of ratcheting wrenches which I bought because the price was right and I would only have four duplicates out of a couple-dozen individuals.

When I finish this then I am going to separate the stuff that I don't want (such as cheap sockets I bought at flea markets in Germany), as well as antique tools I picked up free off Craigslist as part of a bunch of other stuff from estates. I will pass that forward on Craigslist as well.

In the past few weeks I've also stocked up on power and air tools I know I will need for the skoolie project. I also know I need a bigger air compressor, but that would mean going to 240v, and I only have 100 amp service for the entire home. Maybe I'll run that off the Honda generator when I need to use it.

And then there's the really weird stuff, like a coffee can full of clecos and other aviation-specific tools. I'll keep those around in case there's sheet metal work to do on the bus.

ive been there with lots of duplicates over the years and often the ones i never use.. of course I lose or destroy the ones i use the most.. sears stores used to be the bomb for this since I would periodically go through my tool drawers and lookm for missing spots in my sets and go buy individual pieces..

I did sometimes buy a set on sale just because it would sometimes be equal price to replacing individual pieces (or purposeful duplicates like multiple 1/2, 9/16 etc wrenches where you need more than one at a time)..

Tekton looks like a winner.. went ahead and placed an order and will try them out! i like the fact they have wrenches in pouches which makes life easier for tools i want to carry on a bus
Old 12-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #47
Bus Geek

Quote:
Harbor Freight has 3-4 different lines of product for sockets and other hand tools. The high end for them is the "Icon" line and those are pretty good quality. A lot of the other stuff HF sells in their stores is utter garbage.

this is interesting because ive seen exactly what you talk about.. my impact sockets are in fact Icon and they are pretty heavy duty.. great to know so if im in a place where i need to buy tools and an HF is near i can prob get at least decent quality..

because like another post says.. a broken bus and a broken tool is still a broken bus!
Old 12-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #48
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Sockets are not made in China. They are still made in the US.

Snap-On most definitely manufactures in China as well as in the US, just like Craftsman. And most importantly, I can get 10% off on ALL tools at Lowes (except the ones that are already on sale, and sometimes I get it on those too). Snap-O does not offer any military discount. Rather pathetic for a so-called "all American" company.
No idea where they're made. Could be the states now for all I know. I loved them because I could go to the local sears, buy what I needed at a cheap price, return what was broken, and be gone in less then 10 minutes.

The sears is no-more, and the last craftsmen set I bought ensured that I won't be buying them anymore either.

Made in china doesn't necessarily mean crappy. I was told that all of the snap-on's hand tools are made stateside, and a lot of the bluepoint tools sold by snap on are made overseas. The quality difference between bluepoint and snap on is negligible in my experience. The quality difference between snap-on/bluepoint and the last craftsmen stuff I bought is night and day. I've seen better stuff sold at harbor freight then what the last craftsmen stuff I have is.

Craftsmen, being bought by stanley, is probably okay now. The recession in 2008 caused a lot of quality issues worldwide, as a lot of cost cutting was done simply to try and survive.

As far as snap on not offering military discounts, corporate wide they don't, but they're franchise ran and I'd bet money most franchises would give you money off.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Tekton looks like a winner.. went ahead and placed an order and will try them out! i like the fact they have wrenches in pouches which makes life easier for tools i want to carry on a bus
Apparently they also don't screw around with shipping. I placed the order on Saturday, they said they would ship today and sure enough, around 9am it was marked as shipped via FedEx (ground service, since it's free shipping). Other places don't work that way. Lowes will sit on orders for days sometimes, unless I order something that it is stock at the store and I just want to pick it up from a locker.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:23 PM   #50
Site Team

I have removed several posts just now.

Skip the racism and focus on the useful content.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #51
Site Team

From the site rules:

Quote:
Fair Warning: Discussions about politics, religion and weaponry will be closed or removed.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #52
Site Team

Sigh... Please read the site rules, folks. You agreed to abide by them when you signed up for the site.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Can we discuss the hand tools the Amish woodworkers use? Or would that offend the group?
Old 12-14-2021, 01:12 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Can we discuss the hand tools the Amish woodworkers use? Or would that offend the group?
If you think you can do it without bringing in politics or religion, you're welcome to... Though of course this thread was about sourcing some hand tools, so perhaps you might want to make a new thread for that.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #55
Bus Geek

[removed by site team - off-topic]
Old 12-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #56
Bus Crazy

I honestly don't know where they source their hand tools. Maybe they make their own? I'm sure there is someone here on the group that lives close by that may know. They have to use wrenches and sockets and hammers. Right?
Old 12-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #57
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI 96A3
Engine: DD 8V92TA
I have quite a few tools of all types, a large set of most everything I keep in the Garage.

I just bought this set to keep permanently on the Bus.

Thought it was very good deal.

To Make it complete I think it needs wrenches up through 3/4 and either a set of Vise Grips or a set of Channel locks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1...Set/1000596445

Peter
Old 12-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

[removed by site team - off-topic]