Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Exclamation South Carolna Skoolie Owners - Please Help!

Hey all,

I bought a 3/4 size bus about 5 months ago and after diagnosing and correcting many electrical issues, I am finally making some actual progress on the conversion.

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out how to get this title transferred from "bus" to "motorhome". I've tried calling three different DMV's, but could not get a clear answer. Most admitted they had never even heard of this being done before.

I've lurked around these forums for awhile, and can find detailed instructions regarding other states, but cannot find anything for South Carolina specifically. I've read that some SC dwellers have been successful in dong it, but the "how" is not listed.

Are there any SC Skoolie owners out there that have any experience with a successful title transfer? I would be so appreciative if anyone could shed any light on this for me.

Also, if you have a 3/4 size Skoolie, feel free to share some photos! I have not seen many 3/4 size floor plans and could really use some fresh ideas!

Thanks,

-Steve

Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran IS3009
Engine: Cummings DT466
Rated Cap: 27
steve...

no experience in south carolina (we're titled and registered in illinois) . . . but . . .

several people i personally know have used vermont as the get-around. vermont has some very interesting and VERY liberal laws concerning titling and registering vehicles. my friend had purchased an old antique motorcycle with no title in wisconsin. he contacted vermont and all they needed was a signed and notarized letter saying that he was the new owner, what the vin number was, and that it was not stolen. i think he had to have a police officer sign a form saying it wasn't stolen, but that was simple enough. he sent off the paperwork and got a new title and vermont license plates. after he had that, he got a new set of plates from wisconsin. skirted the issue. we have another friend that recently did a similar thing with a school bus. again, not exactly the answer but a way to get around the issue. in illinois, the DMV didn't have a clue. i ended up contacting the illinois secretary of state police and they were able to provide me with guidelines and paperwork. i had to have several things -- like running water, independent 110 power, etc., and then a state trooper came and made sure we had those things and then got us a new title. now we're a motorhome with RV plates. i have a ton of pictures, they are all on instagram --> https://www.instagram.com/simplyusandabus/
simplyusandabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Hey Simplyusandabus,

Thanks very much for the advice. I need to look into the Vermont registration process. If getting an SC title turns out to be insanely difficult I will go that route. Awesome bus.man! I can't wait to get mine looking like that. Right now I'm still removing the ceiling and wall panels. Im looking forward to the part where I actually start the build. Thanks for sharing.
Stoveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus to motorhome, dmv, registration, south carolina, title transfer