Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Spray Foam behind chair rail

Hi all,

I'm still in the demolition/deconstruction process. My bus is 7 windows in length, and behind the chair rail of the back 4 windows on each side there is cured spray foam. Its dirty, its damp, its gross, and I want it gone. Does anyone have any good suggestions to scoop it out?

I was able to do the smaller pocket above the wheel well using a scraper and the back end of a hammer to "scoop" it out but this is a lot of effort. Small bits I can get out with a shop vac. Any ideas for tools/techniques to break it up and get it out?

Thank you friends!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210705_223647752.MP.jpg   PXL_20210705_223657328.jpg  

cilantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Gasoline or some other kind of solvent would probably work. Last year one of my gas cans fell over in the back while driving and a tiny bit of gas leaked out, and it ate away a surprisingly large amount of the XPS foam board of my subfloor. You would of course want to be very careful doing this. Eventually all the gas or solvent will evaporate, although it would be smelly for a little bit.

Personally I would just leave it as it is, too much work to remove it with really no benefit.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Engine: Cat C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Gasoline or some other kind of solvent would probably work. Last year one of my gas cans fell over in the back while driving and a tiny bit of gas leaked out, and it ate away a surprisingly large amount of the XPS foam board of my subfloor. You would of course want to be very careful doing this. Eventually all the gas or solvent will evaporate, although it would be smelly for a little bit.

Personally I would just leave it as it is, too much work to remove it with really no benefit.
I've considered leaving it as-is. The only real reason for me would be to treat any surface rust that is living in there. If it wasn't for the rust I wouldn't consider this.
cilantro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cilantro View Post
I've considered leaving it as-is. The only real reason for me would be to treat any surface rust that is living in there. If it wasn't for the rust I wouldn't consider this.
If it's that stuff from a can (which it probably is) then possibly you do have some rust behind there - rust that was caused by the stuff in the can. That foam is single-component which means it requires air to cure properly; without the proper curing it stays wet for a long time and can cause corrosion. The chair rail is made of galvanized steel, though, so in all likelihood it's fine.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
If its spray foam, no chemical will effect it. What I use is a vibrating tool, and scrape it off. Great tool, second only to the angle grinder.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I like the don’t worry about it solution. If you have leaks, worry about that instead. The foam will dry out eventually
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quick Google search says scraping and sanding to remove cured foam. Whether it was closed cell or open cell depends on what the water is doing with it. Open cell will hold water.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: C7 Cat
Break a piece off, if it’s only damp on the outside and dry crumbly inside it’s likely closed cell. If it’s open cell foam it will retain that moisture and more even if you fix the leaks. If it’s closed cell leave it, the surface will dry if not subjected to more water. Unknown rust in there, yes a good chance of that especially coming from Ontario. Without removing the exterior skin you’d likely never get enough out to deal with rust remediation anyway and it would be a massive amount of work. Confirm it’s closed cell and fix the leaks, if it’s open cell foam sell the bus. Just my opinion.
PS say hi to my sister for me, she’s in Milton. Lol
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Dricore | Hitches »