Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
I am using Polyiso foam board 1.5" thick to cover most of the walls, its $7 per 4x8 sheet and then Im going to spray closed cell foam on top of that to fill in the areas I couldnt get foam board to cover.

they are both the same type of insulation, I get the factory seconds of the board way cheaper that the spray foam kits. I need to cover a significatnt amount and didnt want to pay for 2 kits at 650 a pop.

for 100 bucks I can get a bunch of board to take up the majority of the volume.

Look at the walls in the pictures, the white squares are the foam board glued to the window areas.
Sounds like a great plan to me.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: IC
Engine: International DT466
Rated Cap: 28
Trying to decide between regular fiberglass insulation and spray foam. I’m not too worried about the r value as I’m only going to use the skoolie as a weekend warrior in the summer time. The place we camp is typically in the shade. What I am concerned about is does the spray foam make the bus sound more solid? Does it “lock” everything in? I’m looking for a solution that offer the most solid feeling bus, esp driving down the road. Any thoughts?
Tmy8ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmy8ster View Post
Trying to decide between regular fiberglass insulation and spray foam. I’m not too worried about the r value as I’m only going to use the skoolie as a weekend warrior in the summer time. The place we camp is typically in the shade. What I am concerned about is does the spray foam make the bus sound more solid? Does it “lock” everything in? I’m looking for a solution that offer the most solid feeling bus, esp driving down the road. Any thoughts?
Are you more concerned with sound insulation than thermal insulation ?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Without a doubt the spray foam will be more solid and have everything "locked in".

We spray foamed the walls in the shop when we built it, which was nothing more then a wooden pole barn with steel siding. The foam job sealed everything up, and made the whole building more rigid and way more quiet in the wind/weather.

We had no issues with chemical off gassing. We let the walls sit open for the time they recommended. And now they're covered you wouldn't be able to tell, especially with the chemicals that are present in your typical shop.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have had two buses spray foamed.

I have been amazed at the reduction in noise and air infiltration.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #46
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCircus View Post
I am using Polyiso foam board 1.5" thick to cover most of the walls, its $7 per 4x8 sheet and then Im going to spray closed cell foam on top of that to fill in the areas I couldnt get foam board to cover.

they are both the same type of insulation, I get the factory seconds of the board way cheaper that the spray foam kits. I need to cover a significatnt amount and didnt want to pay for 2 kits at 650 a pop.

for 100 bucks I can get a bunch of board to take up the majority of the volume.

Look at the walls in the pictures, the white squares are the foam board glued to the window areas.
Did you end up spray foaming over the polyiso? How did it work out? I’m considering doing the same—taking up as much volume with rigid board as I can then encapsulating with spray foam.
cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote