Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Spray paint vs paint brush: Why not the latter?

Hi guys. So, I noticed that everyone seems to use spray paint on the exterior of their bus, but I know full well that spray paint drips and you have less control over the strokes.

What's the reason why no one seems to use a paint brush and a bucket of paint? Does it just take longer or something?

ManWithNoBrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithNoBrows View Post
Hi guys. So, I noticed that everyone seems to use spray paint....
(everyone?)

Many skoolie builers use "Roll on" paint. Oil & especially, elastomeric, not much latex. I brush primered all of my roof patches & some roof touch ups, after sealing seams.

There's a bunch of threads on this subject. Many years of various skoolie builders have testified. You'll short yourself a vast ocean of knowledge, by not using the search feature at the top of the page.

type "Roll on paint", highlight the [skoolie] button, click [search]

What kind of paint are you using?
Painting: floors, exterior, roof?
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
(you noticed everyone?
omnisciens?)

Many skoolie builers use "Roll on" paint. Oil & especially, elastomeric, not much latex. I brush primered all of my patches.

There's a bunch of threads on this subject. Many years of various skoolie builders have testified. You'll short yourself a vast ocean of knowledge, by not using the search feature at the top of the page.

type "Roll on paint", highlight the [skoolie] button, click [search]

Ironic that that's the first thing I did and nothing came up for what I was asking.

Edit: Reported for being combative. Oh, and the word is, "Omniscience". You'd know that if you searched it on Google to spell check it before you posted.

Now, let's get back to the topic in the OP.

Quote:
Exterior, just like I said in the OP.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

There's good info out there

Quote:
Ironic that that's the first thing I did and nothing came up for what I was asking.

Edit: Reported for being combative. Oh, and the word is, "Omniscience". You'd know that if you searched it on Google to spell check it before you posted.

Now, let's get back to the topic in the OP.

Exterior, just like I said in the OP.

I did not use that word
"Omniscience" you changed and added letters to make a new word.

You did not witness everyone.

False witness (2)
That's twice.

Now you call me combative?
I'm not fighting the truth.

I'm trying to help anyone reading to discover the facts. No need to be offended. I didn't read every thread yet, either.

Try perusing these threads below:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/w...ake-27872.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/e...int-27777.html

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/a...ing-36780.html

The last one on murals has some good stuff about the clear coats.

Chill on the Mods. They have enough to edit/delete with, bots, spam, ads and fake accounts. Why bully Admin into extra work, Brah?

Good Luck, no brow man.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
"Reported for being combative"?
I edited my post. No sense on giving free advice to those who don't appreciate it.
DeMac is an incredible source of knowledge. Good job, OP. Well-played lol.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
If by spray paint you mean rattle-can, I sure as hell wouldn't spray paint a bus, though I'm aware some people have. By the time you put down enough paint to satisfy the manufacturer's recommended dry film thickness, the cost of that many cans is going to be ridiculous for the quality you're getting out of the job (low). I haven't done the math but I'd be surprised if you couldn't rent a sprayer and apply much higher quality paint for the same cost as a bunch of cans.

Brush? Again, no thanks. Doable, yes. But why? I would (and we did) use rollers. Some brushing for parts you can't roll, but mostly rollers. Either way, though, you're saving a significant amount of paint by not spraying it.
Much appreciated. It's good to know there isn't some technical issue preventing me from rolling and brushing it on. It's the most relaxing for me and the one I'm most familiar with.

Quote:
"Reported for being combative"?
I edited my post. No sense on giving free advice to those who require it to be sugar-coated.
Woah! Am I really the only one on here trying to make progress and doing something about bullying on here? I'll report you, too. I really wish I didn't have to because you seemed pretty legit until now.

Quote:
I edited my post. No sense on giving free advice to those who don't appreciate it.
DeMac is an incredible source of knowledge. Good job, OP. Well-played lol.
Classy how you can't just stop attacking people. WTF... Did you even bother to read the quoted version of his original post? He changed it to make it less crass, but mine shows the original text he wrote.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

You should check Moses's List. Five things on that list are for our getting along with each other.
False witness is in there with some really bad sh/t. Not cussing, nor bad tone, bullying, not even any of the "____isms". You are falsely accusing and providing False testimony. No? Huh. Well, who am I to judge. I'll just stand outta striking distance.
This is all pre-Christ, most religions & societies of the world practice this list.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You should check Moses's List. Five things on that list are for our getting along with each other.
False witness is in there with some really bad sh/t. Not cussing, nor bad tone, bullying, not even any of the "____isms". You are falsely accusing and providing False testimony. That's like being a rapist, murderer, adulter. No? Huh.
This is all pre-Christ, most religions & societies of the world practice this list.
(Edit away, if you support False Testimony)
For archival purposes when the mods come to assess the situation.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Classy how you can't just stop attacking people. WTF... Did you even bother to read the quoted version of his original post? He changed it to make it less crass, but mine shows the original text he wrote.
Yeah, I read the original, which you quickly quoted with the obvious intent to 'report' as many members here as you can. Not only was there nothing in what you quoted that I'd consider abusive, it also reflects very poorly on your character to purposefully try to get long-term / highly-knowledgable / valuable members of this community in trouble because you couldn't handle the tone the free advice you solicited was delivered in.

I'm not sure how well this strategy is working out for you IRL, but here, people are likely to not be very motivated to help you out if you threaten to report them every time they don't sugar-coat their replies to spare your tender feelings.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Yeah, I read the original, which you quickly quoted with the obvious intent to 'report' as many members here as you can. Not only was there nothing in what you quoted that I'd consider abusive, it also reflects very poorly on your character to purposefully try to get long-term / highly-knowledgable / valuable members of this community in trouble because you couldn't handle the tone the free advice you solicited was delivered in.

I'm not sure how well this strategy is working out for you IRL, but here, people are likely to not be very motivated to help you out if you threaten to report them every time they don't sugar-coat their replies to spare your tender feelings.
I just realized that the reason why you seem to "worship" DeMac so much is because you're most likely using an alt account. It's either that, or you're one hell of a fanboy. Either way it's showing your character.

FYI, DeMac just sent me a couple "Thanks" on my posts, so much appreciated. Glad to see he's changing his behavior, so no need to keep attacking me for standing up to the bully if you happen to not be an alt account.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:32 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Maybe you didn't read the words I wrote in the "Thanks." This is not very helpful to PW or JH.

Take a look at our albums, detective. Many skoolie.net members have met me. Some know my username from over a decade ago.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read the words I wrote in the "Thanks." This is not very helpful to PW or JH.

Take a look at our albums, detective. Many skoolie.net members have met me. Some know my username from over a decade ago.
Awww! DeMac. Much appreciated, and yes I accept your apology. From now on, we can get along better. I didn't mean to make you cry, man. No need to worry. Have a fun day.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Awww! DeMac. Much appreciated, and yes I accept your apology. From now on, we can get along better. I didn't mean to make you cry, man. No need to worry. Have a fun day.
How does thos help your lies about being the victim of a bully? Seems like your accusing others of being you.

We were actually trying to help you. What is your intention here? Do you have a mission? What do you offer the skoolie.net group?

Your last statement about me and what I wrote is the third false testimony in a short span. On Sunday, no less.

To be clear, I do not recant.

I didn't call the Mods. If PW or JH do read through this post, I urge them to seek the truth, (edits & messages included) and act accordingly.
Old 05-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
How does thos help your lies about being the victim of a bully? Seems like your accusing others of being you.

We were actually trying to help you. What is your intention here? Do you have a mission?

I do not recant.

You last statement about me and what I wrote is the third false testimony in a short span. On Sunday, no less.

What do you offer the group?

I didn't call the Mods. If PW or JH do read through this post, I urge them to seek the truth, (edits & messages included) and act accordingly.
No worries, man. You hit the nail on the head as to why you don't have any friends aside from TheHubbardBus. If you keep your religious views private instead of forcing them on others, and you stop attacking people, you might make a new friend. I know you want to improve your life, so keep up the good work of toning it down. FYI, I'm not a religious person, and I'm glad you asked me about that. So, no need to keep talking about that stuff.

Oh, and about your comment as to if it makes you sound like you're nuts when you say that stuff, yes it does. There's no god floating around the sky barking orders at anyone. It's all in your head. It's not your fault, though. You were just brainwashed is all. So just keep a chin up, and you'll do fine.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
and moving on.
my first bus i spray painted primer and finish coat with rattle cans and after 7 years its showing its age.
my second bus i am going to brush and roll with oil base and probably learn how to use an hvlp sprayer for the sides with oil base.
hubbard bus what kind of paint and method did you use on yours.
and how is it holding up?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
and moving on.
my first bus i spray painted primer and finish coat with rattle cans and after 7 years its showing its age.
my second bus i am going to brush and roll with oil base and probably learn how to use an hvlp sprayer for the sides with oil base.
hubbard bus what kind of paint and method did you use on yours.
and how is it holding up?
Much appreciated. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I painted my bus last summer. I used Sherwin Williams industrial enamel paint. I planned to spray it on so I bought the best handheld 'airless' sprayer Home Depot offered. As a fall back I also bought everything I'd need to roll it on in case the airless sprayer failed for whatever reason.

Yea, the sprayer was totally inadequate to the task so I rolled mine. I guess the question of whether rolling (or brushing) does a good enough job is totally dependent upon the observer's definition of 'good enough'. Since my only intent was to cover the yellow so I'd be legal I was OK with what I got. The Sherwin Williams paint is a high quality product but if you decided to spray it, or any other paint of similar viscosity, you'd need a commercial style airless system.

If you're choosing between rolling and brushing I'd you go with rolling. Rolling proved to be pretty fast, much faster than I could have brushed the paint on. How much roller or brush marks show when dry is probably more dependent upon the self leveling qualities of the paint than on the application method.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
No worries, man. You hit the nail on the head as to why you don't have any friends aside from TheHubbardBus. If you keep your religious views private instead of forcing them on others, and you stop attacking people, you might make a new friend. I know you want to improve your life, so keep up the good work of toning it down. FYI, I'm not a religious person, and I'm glad you asked me about that. So, no need to keep talking about that stuff.

Oh, and about your comment as to if it makes you sound like you're nuts when you say that stuff, yes it does. There's no god floating around the sky barking orders at anyone. It's all in your head. It's not your fault, though. You were just brainwashed is all. So just keep a chin up, and you'll do fine.
More lies, anyone can click my profile to see that.

We are all part of a society, we have to live by the rules of society. Most begin with the same list.

Try this thread:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/n...tte-22849.html
And
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/misc....ork&page=rules

Did I mention a religion? Which one?

Notice how you & I have switched rolls from your original assessment. Welcome to the Insane Asylum.

Man with no brows is a liar. Anyone who reads this thread will have beared witness to the truth. Testify to what you see here. This fella is now attacking religion.

Btw, my mechanic's name is Moses.
MOSES AUTO LLC
3968 SW 131st Place Rd Ocala, 34473
Old 05-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
I painted my bus last summer. I used Sherwin Williams industrial enamel paint. I planned to spray it on so I bought the best handheld 'airless' sprayer Home Depot offered. As a fall back I also bought everything I'd need to roll it on in case the airless sprayer failed for whatever reason.

Yea, the sprayer was totally inadequate to the task so I rolled mine. I guess the question of whether rolling (or brushing) does a good enough job is totally dependent upon the observer's definition of 'good enough'. Since my only intent was to cover the yellow so I'd be legal I was OK with what I got. The Sherwin Williams paint is a high quality product but if you decided to spray it, or any other paint of similar viscosity, you'd need a commercial style airless system.

If you're choosing between rolling and brushing I'd you go with rolling. Rolling proved to be pretty fast, much faster than I could have brushed the paint on. How much roller or brush marks show when dry is probably more dependent upon the self leveling qualities of the paint than on the application method.
Agreed on the paint quality. For anyone else who's reading this post, there are some that say they guarantee you only need one coat, and those are more expensive. Presumably, that increased quality should help with auto leveling. I plan to do that anyway, as I just want to paint it once.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
dont worry demac even though we havent met yet we have talked through the forum.
i will be your friend if you need one?
friend request sent.
i dont typically have friends more work aquaitenance men that think i want someone to hang out but never very often and only if i ask for help which is almost never.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint