Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I am going to get Alcoa's . (And new tires for the matter!)

They do look fantastic! But (for the benefit of others reading this) you'll most likely need to change the studs to longer ones. We've seen several instances of aluminum rims on buses with studs, designed for steel wheels, which are too short...and then the nuts aren't fully engaged with thread.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Just do it like Ray Ban.

https://youtu.be/3NVpBF1eRBg

I bet this was someones million dollar idea and yes you can buy still one. I'm sure these are used by every used truck sales lot to make the rims pretty.

https://tiremask.com/

Ted
Thank you for the links, Ted. That is an interesting solution to a painting problem. I'd use masking paper and tape, but if I had a set of those $160.00 pre-made masks ... I would use it!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Thank you for the links, Ted. That is an interesting solution to a painting problem. I'd use masking paper and tape, but if I had a set of those $160.00 pre-made masks ... I would use it!
The video had randomly popped up on my you tube after this thread started. I would also just mask off the tires with tape and paper. These would be handy for fleet maintenance.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Playing cards make good masking material for the perimeter of the rims, because you can tuck/jam them a little bit in between the tire and the rim. Masking tape also works here, but it's harder to get it into that curved space to keep tires completely paint-free. Playing cards seem faster to me...just jam them in around the edge and, if you need, tape and plastic or paper can go farther out to cover the rest of the tire. Just a thought based on having sprayed quite a few with different techniques.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
A variation on the playing card theme: cut some strips of stiff tag board (like sand paper sheets are packed in), tape them together, circle them around the edge of the rim, clamp with a paper clip and spray away. I've been using the same piece of card board for about 20 years now.

While I'm at it, while I wouldn't slather paint on the lug nut/wheel contact surface, a little paint won't make the wheels fall off. After all the wheels come from the manufacturer painted or powder coated. Besides, by the time you torque the lug nuts to their 400 to 500 foot pound requirement a light coat of paint will be all but squeezed out. That along with your normal regular attention to lug tightness and you'll be good to go.
Jack

I dragged out my old masking shield and slapped it on an old T-bird hubcap just to show it off.

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:11 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Since I’m just painting while on the bus I don’t worry about the mating surfaces. I have Dayton’s so getting a pro to paint my rims would only be a part of it. The shield I made I just hold up and move as I go around the wheel. Quick and easy and it lasts usually a year or so and then I touch up again
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote