Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #21
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,989
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd rather go get 2 or 3 buses and triple my money on each one than constantly be getting buses for a percentage profit.
But you're enjoying yourself so knock yourself out man.
I'm not greedy, I'm just an educated seller.
Hows that working out for you?
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #22
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,184
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Fine when I get around to doing it.

Glad we're not bidding against each other that would suck.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #23
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 312
Coachwork: In the market
When I was pushing wholesale furniture I delivered to a new account that was buying half a dozen sofa sets a week whereas established furniture retailers were getting one or two at a time and not necessarily every week. He said the sales rep asked him how he was moving so many so fast and he said he was only charging X% over his cost, not MSRP. The sales rep scolded him for selling them so cheap because other retailers will think he's undercutting them and he said, "We're all buying the same thing from you so whatcha gonna do - stop selling 6 a week to me so you can continue selling 3 a month to them?" The sales rep STFU and cashed the commission checks!

Its not a question of if you can can charge more per unit if you make it up on volume!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:20 PM   #24
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,878
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
When I was pushing wholesale furniture I delivered to a new account that was buying half a dozen sofa sets a week whereas established furniture retailers were getting one or two at a time and not necessarily every week. He said the sales rep asked him how he was moving so many so fast and he said he was only charging X% over his cost, not MSRP. The sales rep scolded him for selling them so cheap because other retailers will think he's undercutting them and he said, "We're all buying the same thing from you so whatcha gonna do - stop selling 6 a week to me so you can continue selling 3 a month to them?" The sales rep STFU and cashed the commission checks!

Its not a question of if you can can charge more per unit if you make it up on volume!

An old advertising slogan comes to mind "Stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap", and let's be honest, isn't this the business model of many Big Box Stores? WalMart didn't get to be a world leading retailer by letting Target and Kmart sell more goods at a slightly lower price.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #25
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 312
Coachwork: In the market
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
An old advertising slogan comes to mind "Stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap", and let's be honest, isn't this the business model of many Big Box Stores? WalMart didn't get to be a world leading retailer by letting Target and Kmart sell more goods at a slightly lower price.
True but I think the principle at work in that analogy is the volume discount and Wal-Mart simply had the buying power no one could beat. I think by the 90s Wal-Mart was attempting to dictate to their vendors what they would charge Wal-Mart for buying their product and some of them didn't appreciate that. The documentary I saw used Vlasic as an example and for a long time you couldn't buy Vlasic pickles in Wal-Mart because Vlasic wasn't going to be told what price they will sell it to Wal-Mart below other customers. So unless Marc starts moving the kind of volume in buses that gives him that leverage over his suppliers I'm not sure if its an exact correlation. I don't think he's 'stocking them deep' at all, it sounds like he's shopping and purchasing on behalf of individual buyers for a reasonable markup and is very upfront about it. If CB gets into the same biz we can pit them against each other to see who can get us the lowest price just like car dealerships!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #26
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,184
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I just buy em occasionally when they're cheap and I want a "new" bus. I then sell one and keep the nicer one. Its my way of always moving up.
Started with a 444/545 shorty, then a leaky 466E shorty, now I've got a nearly pristine extremely low mile shorty.
I'll pick up another one in 2020 for the hell of it and sell one again.
I could sell one or ten. I'd still charge out the nose since the only local competition is charging insane prices.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #27
Almost There
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Corvallis Oregon
Posts: 71
Well weíre the buyers of Marcís bus! Had a great time meeting Mark, looking over the bus and learning more about it and how it functions. Were so happy to find out it has air ride! Rides smoothly and purrs along beautifully. We were grateful that he stuck to his price even though he found out it was a rebuild from us! Hit Garson Alabama tonight and headed to Shreveport tomorrow. Hadnít ever heard of title jumping(?). We got a ways to go to make it home to Corvallis, Or!
Couple of newbie questions. We canít get the key out of the ignition. How do you remove the key
What do you all think is the best rpm to run a shortie on on the highway? Weíre at 2600 running at 60mph on the highway? My husband remembers being told to keep rpms to 2200. Would it be more economical to change gearing so we could run at lower rpms For gas milage? Is it less wear and tear on the engine to run at lower rpms?
By the way, I LOVE this forum. We were so nervous going into this adventure. Thanks so much for answering all my million questions and to Don, Plfking who was following up on us to make sure we were aware of some details and helped us walk through some fears. Grateful to Marc who gave us a great price, showed us where to put the gas, oh yeah, diesel;)! Nice to see your bus in the making Marc, looking great!!!
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 AM   #28
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,878
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
Well weíre the buyers of Marcís bus! Had a great time meeting Mark, looking over the bus and learning more about it and how it functions. Were so happy to find out it has air ride! Rides smoothly and purrs along beautifully. We were grateful that he stuck to his price even though he found out it was a rebuild from us! Hit Garson Alabama tonight and headed to Shreveport tomorrow. Hadnít ever heard of title jumping(?). We got a ways to go to make it home to Corvallis, Or!
Couple of newbie questions. We canít get the key out of the ignition. How do you remove the key
What do you all think is the best rpm to run a shortie on on the highway? Weíre at 2600 running at 60mph on the highway? My husband remembers being told to keep rpms to 2200. Would it be more economical to change gearing so we could run at lower rpms For gas milage? Is it less wear and tear on the engine to run at lower rpms?
By the way, I LOVE this forum. We were so nervous going into this adventure. Thanks so much for answering all my million questions and to Don, Plfking who was following up on us to make sure we were aware of some details and helped us walk through some fears. Grateful to Marc who gave us a great price, showed us where to put the gas, oh yeah, diesel;)! Nice to see your bus in the making Marc, looking great!!!

Mine's geared 5.38 with a 1:1 top gear in the trans (manual 5-speed) and I get ~55 at 2600 RPM. I plan to regear it to the 3.91 (or numerically lower) range as I feel it would cruise happily under 2000. It's a short bus about the size of yours but an IH with the T444e engine. And yes, that should improve your fuel economy and promote engine longevity though with a recent rebuild, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out anytime soon.



I've not driven a Freightlugger bus but is the key removable at any point? Some switches have an "accessory" position if turned "backwards" from what is normally "Off" (handy for listening to the radio without all the ignition stuff and gauges drawing from the battery).


"Title Jumping" (I've not heard this phrase before but I'm familiar with the practice) is when, for example, I buy a vehicle, have the seller sign the title but omit the date, an "open" title as it's sometimes called. I may have the vehicle for weeks or months in a legal and registration limbo until I resell it, at which point the new buyer gets the title, with the new date and their signatures. Usually the authorities have no way of knowing I ever had the vehicle and for honest sellers it's not usually a problem (even though it *is* technically against the law). The main reason it's illegal is, for an example, if the vehicle is used in a crime and abandoned anywhere, since the criminals know the cops have no way to trace the car back to them; they will investigate the last known owner (and for this reason, I always get the buyer's name/signature for my own records).


Dealers can transfer the car and title more than once (which is why they don't sign as buyer), most titles have provisions for this and dealers are registered with their respective states, they have rules to follow, paperwork to file and maintain, and have responsibility to know who's driving their cars, either as test drives, for service, fueling, to/from auctions, etc.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:47 AM   #29
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,184
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
Well weíre the buyers of Marcís bus! Had a great time meeting Mark, looking over the bus and learning more about it and how it functions. Were so happy to find out it has air ride! Rides smoothly and purrs along beautifully. We were grateful that he stuck to his price even though he found out it was a rebuild from us! Hit Garson Alabama tonight and headed to Shreveport tomorrow. Hadnít ever heard of title jumping(?). We got a ways to go to make it home to Corvallis, Or!
Couple of newbie questions. We canít get the key out of the ignition. How do you remove the key
What do you all think is the best rpm to run a shortie on on the highway? Weíre at 2600 running at 60mph on the highway? My husband remembers being told to keep rpms to 2200. Would it be more economical to change gearing so we could run at lower rpms For gas milage? Is it less wear and tear on the engine to run at lower rpms?
By the way, I LOVE this forum. We were so nervous going into this adventure. Thanks so much for answering all my million questions and to Don, Plfking who was following up on us to make sure we were aware of some details and helped us walk through some fears. Grateful to Marc who gave us a great price, showed us where to put the gas, oh yeah, diesel;)! Nice to see your bus in the making Marc, looking great!!!
YEah, I'd regear it. Don't like running anything at redline all day.
I'd shoot for 60 at 2000 rpm +/-.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 AM   #30
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,184
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Mine's geared 5.38 with a 1:1 top gear in the trans (manual 5-speed) and I get ~55 at 2600 RPM. I plan to regear it to the 3.91 (or numerically lower) range as I feel it would cruise happily under 2000. It's a short bus about the size of yours but an IH with the T444e engine. And yes, that should improve your fuel economy and promote engine longevity though with a recent rebuild, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out anytime soon.



I've not driven a Freightlugger bus but is the key removable at any point? Some switches have an "accessory" position if turned "backwards" from what is normally "Off" (handy for listening to the radio without all the ignition stuff and gauges drawing from the battery).


"Title Jumping" (I've not heard this phrase before but I'm familiar with the practice) is when, for example, I buy a vehicle, have the seller sign the title but omit the date, an "open" title as it's sometimes called. I may have the vehicle for weeks or months in a legal and registration limbo until I resell it, at which point the new buyer gets the title, with the new date and their signatures. Usually the authorities have no way of knowing I ever had the vehicle and for honest sellers it's not usually a problem (even though it *is* technically against the law). The main reason it's illegal is, for an example, if the vehicle is used in a crime and abandoned anywhere, since the criminals know the cops have no way to trace the car back to them; they will investigate the last known owner (and for this reason, I always get the buyer's name/signature for my own records).


Dealers can transfer the car and title more than once (which is why they don't sign as buyer), most titles have provisions for this and dealers are registered with their respective states, they have rules to follow, paperwork to file and maintain, and have responsibility to know who's driving their cars, either as test drives, for service, fueling, to/from auctions, etc.
I think its more to do with the gov't missing out on the taxes from the lack of legal transfer to the seller. The gov't doesn't like missing out on tax money.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #31
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,878
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think its more to do with the gov't missing out on the taxes from the lack of legal transfer to the seller. The gov't doesn't like missing out on tax money.

Well, yeah, there's that too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #32
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 1,406
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Title jumping is when you buy and resell a vehicle without having the title ever in your name.

Yes, the gov't misses out on their piece of the action, which is why they're upset with it.

It's also a ploy used by people looking to buy and resell vehicles for profit without obtaining dealer licensing, or paying taxes on it. They're also not limited to a certain number of vehicle transactions per year like a private individual would, since the vehicle is never in their name.

Any buyers in this scenario would also not have any consumer protections that would typically be available to someone buying from a legitimate dealer.
__________________
Don't feed the trolls.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
Bus Nut
 
WIbluebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 734
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
An aqaintance of mine owned a welding shop on a major throughfare in his town. For years he would pick up cheap vehicles and park them on the front lot with for sale signs. The guy would title jump and did not get a dealer license. Several times he got warning letters from the state DMV.

Years later when he went to sell the property the state confiscated most of the money from the sale, leaving the dude completely broke. He ended up committing suicide a few weeks later.

Curbstoning is illegal and people can and do get prosecuted for it.
WIbluebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #34
Bus Nut
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 902
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
LMAO

That's called title jumping, and it's a felony in all 50 states. Usually something done by shady people avoiding taxes or selling junk to unsuspecting buyers.
Oh wow, I'd never heard of this. That kind of helps explain that wretched and problematic Buick I owned in the 2000's.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #35
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,989
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I think its more to do with the gov't missing out on the taxes from the lack of legal transfer to the seller. The gov't doesn't like missing out on tax money.
It's around $200 to transfer title to my name and it takes weeks to get the title. In the meantime my bus sits in limbo and I can't sell it. Especially when it's bought from out of state and sold to someone out of state, my state needn't be involved just for their dollar.
__________________
I Thank God That He Gifted Me with Common Sense
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #36
Almost There
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Corvallis Oregon
Posts: 71
Key and window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Mine's geared 5.38 with a 1:1 top gear in the trans (manual 5-speed) and I get ~55 at 2600 RPM. I plan to regear it to the 3.91 (or numerically lower) range as I feel it would cruise happily under 2000. It's a short bus about the size of yours but an IH with the T444e engine. And yes, that should improve your fuel economy and promote engine longevity though with a recent rebuild, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out anytime soon.



I've not driven a Freightlugger bus but is the key removable at any point? Some switches have an "accessory" position if turned "backwards" from what is normally "Off" (handy for listening to the radio without all the ignition stuff and gauges drawing from the battery).


"Title Jumping" (I've not heard this phrase before but I'm familiar with the practice) is when, for example, I buy a vehicle, have the seller sign the title but omit the date, an "open" title as it's sometimes called. I may have the vehicle for weeks or months in a legal and registration limbo until I resell it, at which point the new buyer gets the title, with the new date and their signatures. Usually the authorities have no way of knowing I ever had the vehicle and for honest sellers it's not usually a problem (even though it *is* technically against the law). The main reason it's illegal is, for an example, if the vehicle is used in a crime and abandoned anywhere, since the criminals know the cops have no way to trace the car back to them; they will investigate the last known owner (and for this reason, I always get the buyer's name/signature for my own records).


Dealers can transfer the car and title more than once (which is why they don't sign as buyer), most titles have provisions for this and dealers are registered with their respective states, they have rules to follow, paperwork to file and maintain, and have responsibility to know who's driving their cars, either as test drives, for service, fueling, to/from auctions, etc.

Thank you! Combination of excited/tired. Woke up this am and retried getting let out like you suggested and got her out. Whistling driver seat window now propped closed with dowel and weíre on the road again!
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #37
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,878
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's around $200 to transfer title to my name and it takes weeks to get the title. In the meantime my bus sits in limbo and I can't sell it. Especially when it's bought from out of state and sold to someone out of state, my state needn't be involved just for their dollar.

No it's not, it's $18 for title transfer in GA. The remainder of that is registration cost (which includes the equivalent of sales tax), which can be skipped if you're not going to drive it (you'll have to sign a "I won't be driving it" form, though). True, the title does take a couple weeks to arrive.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #38
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 20,184
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Here we get the title right then and there once we pay em.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #39
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,096
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Title jumping is when you buy and resell a vehicle without having the title ever in your name.

Yes, the gov't misses out on their piece of the action, which is why they're upset with it.

It's also a ploy used by people looking to buy and resell vehicles for profit without obtaining dealer licensing, or paying taxes on it. They're also not limited to a certain number of vehicle transactions per year like a private individual would, since the vehicle is never in their name.

Any buyers in this scenario would also not have any consumer protections that would typically be available to someone buying from a legitimate dealer.
I met a gent that made his living "title jumping" buying and selling cars. He always met buyers in a parking lot somewhere and pretended to be the person on the title. He changed his phone number regularly.

I think that he may still be in jail...
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #40
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,623
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in ohio its illegal to buy a vehicle even if for resale and not pay the taxes on it.. (licensed dealers have provisions).. if I buy a bus from someone and title jump its a trip to the jailhouse.. i thuink they can even nail you for tax evasion if they want..



when I buy a vehicle, I go to the title agency do a VIN verification pay the sales tax and receive a title right then and there..



im guessingthe authorities arent looking for the person who sells a car a year or so..



however flipping busses is at some point going to catch someone's eye.. esp if it ends up being more than just a few a year.. if nothing else than for lack of paying income taxes on the money made...



I think flipping busses for cheaper than dealers is a fantastic idea I just dont want to see anyone get popped for it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×