Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd rather go get 2 or 3 buses and triple my money on each one than constantly be getting buses for a percentage profit.
But you're enjoying yourself so knock yourself out man.
I'm not greedy, I'm just an educated seller.
Hows that working out for you?

Old 01-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Fine when I get around to doing it.

Glad we're not bidding against each other that would suck.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
When I was pushing wholesale furniture I delivered to a new account that was buying half a dozen sofa sets a week whereas established furniture retailers were getting one or two at a time and not necessarily every week. He said the sales rep asked him how he was moving so many so fast and he said he was only charging X% over his cost, not MSRP. The sales rep scolded him for selling them so cheap because other retailers will think he's undercutting them and he said, "We're all buying the same thing from you so whatcha gonna do - stop selling 6 a week to me so you can continue selling 3 a month to them?" The sales rep STFU and cashed the commission checks!

Its not a question of if you can can charge more per unit if you make it up on volume!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
When I was pushing wholesale furniture I delivered to a new account that was buying half a dozen sofa sets a week whereas established furniture retailers were getting one or two at a time and not necessarily every week. He said the sales rep asked him how he was moving so many so fast and he said he was only charging X% over his cost, not MSRP. The sales rep scolded him for selling them so cheap because other retailers will think he's undercutting them and he said, "We're all buying the same thing from you so whatcha gonna do - stop selling 6 a week to me so you can continue selling 3 a month to them?" The sales rep STFU and cashed the commission checks!

Its not a question of if you can can charge more per unit if you make it up on volume!

An old advertising slogan comes to mind "Stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap", and let's be honest, isn't this the business model of many Big Box Stores? WalMart didn't get to be a world leading retailer by letting Target and Kmart sell more goods at a slightly lower price.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
An old advertising slogan comes to mind "Stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap", and let's be honest, isn't this the business model of many Big Box Stores? WalMart didn't get to be a world leading retailer by letting Target and Kmart sell more goods at a slightly lower price.
True but I think the principle at work in that analogy is the volume discount and Wal-Mart simply had the buying power no one could beat. I think by the 90s Wal-Mart was attempting to dictate to their vendors what they would charge Wal-Mart for buying their product and some of them didn't appreciate that. The documentary I saw used Vlasic as an example and for a long time you couldn't buy Vlasic pickles in Wal-Mart because Vlasic wasn't going to be told what price they will sell it to Wal-Mart below other customers. So unless Marc starts moving the kind of volume in buses that gives him that leverage over his suppliers I'm not sure if its an exact correlation. I don't think he's 'stocking them deep' at all, it sounds like he's shopping and purchasing on behalf of individual buyers for a reasonable markup and is very upfront about it. If CB gets into the same biz we can pit them against each other to see who can get us the lowest price just like car dealerships!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #26
Bus Geek

I just buy em occasionally when they're cheap and I want a "new" bus. I then sell one and keep the nicer one. Its my way of always moving up.
Started with a 444/545 shorty, then a leaky 466E shorty, now I've got a nearly pristine extremely low mile shorty.
I'll pick up another one in 2020 for the hell of it and sell one again.
I could sell one or ten. I'd still charge out the nose since the only local competition is charging insane prices.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Well we’re the buyers of Marc’s bus! Had a great time meeting Mark, looking over the bus and learning more about it and how it functions. Were so happy to find out it has air ride! Rides smoothly and purrs along beautifully. We were grateful that he stuck to his price even though he found out it was a rebuild from us! Hit Garson Alabama tonight and headed to Shreveport tomorrow. Hadn’t ever heard of title jumping(?). We got a ways to go to make it home to Corvallis, Or!
Couple of newbie questions. We can’t get the key out of the ignition. How do you remove the key
What do you all think is the best rpm to run a shortie on on the highway? We’re at 2600 running at 60mph on the highway? My husband remembers being told to keep rpms to 2200. Would it be more economical to change gearing so we could run at lower rpms For gas milage? Is it less wear and tear on the engine to run at lower rpms?
By the way, I LOVE this forum. We were so nervous going into this adventure. Thanks so much for answering all my million questions and to Don, Plfking who was following up on us to make sure we were aware of some details and helped us walk through some fears. Grateful to Marc who gave us a great price, showed us where to put the gas, oh yeah, diesel;)! Nice to see your bus in the making Marc, looking great!!!
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
Well we’re the buyers of Marc’s bus! Had a great time meeting Mark, looking over the bus and learning more about it and how it functions. Were so happy to find out it has air ride! Rides smoothly and purrs along beautifully. We were grateful that he stuck to his price even though he found out it was a rebuild from us! Hit Garson Alabama tonight and headed to Shreveport tomorrow. Hadn’t ever heard of title jumping(?). We got a ways to go to make it home to Corvallis, Or!
Couple of newbie questions. We can’t get the key out of the ignition. How do you remove the key
What do you all think is the best rpm to run a shortie on on the highway? We’re at 2600 running at 60mph on the highway? My husband remembers being told to keep rpms to 2200. Would it be more economical to change gearing so we could run at lower rpms For gas milage? Is it less wear and tear on the engine to run at lower rpms?
By the way, I LOVE this forum. We were so nervous going into this adventure. Thanks so much for answering all my million questions and to Don, Plfking who was following up on us to make sure we were aware of some details and helped us walk through some fears. Grateful to Marc who gave us a great price, showed us where to put the gas, oh yeah, diesel;)! Nice to see your bus in the making Marc, looking great!!!

Mine's geared 5.38 with a 1:1 top gear in the trans (manual 5-speed) and I get ~55 at 2600 RPM. I plan to regear it to the 3.91 (or numerically lower) range as I feel it would cruise happily under 2000. It's a short bus about the size of yours but an IH with the T444e engine. And yes, that should improve your fuel economy and promote engine longevity though with a recent rebuild, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out anytime soon.

I've not driven a Freightlugger bus but is the key removable at any point? Some switches have an "accessory" position if turned "backwards" from what is normally "Off" (handy for listening to the radio without all the ignition stuff and gauges drawing from the battery).

"Title Jumping" (I've not heard this phrase before but I'm familiar with the practice) is when, for example, I buy a vehicle, have the seller sign the title but omit the date, an "open" title as it's sometimes called. I may have the vehicle for weeks or months in a legal and registration limbo until I resell it, at which point the new buyer gets the title, with the new date and their signatures. Usually the authorities have no way of knowing I ever had the vehicle and for honest sellers it's not usually a problem (even though it *is* technically against the law). The main reason it's illegal is, for an example, if the vehicle is used in a crime and abandoned anywhere, since the criminals know the cops have no way to trace the car back to them; they will investigate the last known owner (and for this reason, I always get the buyer's name/signature for my own records).

Dealers can transfer the car and title more than once (which is why they don't sign as buyer), most titles have provisions for this and dealers are registered with their respective states, they have rules to follow, paperwork to file and maintain, and have responsibility to know who's driving their cars, either as test drives, for service, fueling, to/from auctions, etc.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:47 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
YEah, I'd regear it. Don't like running anything at redline all day.
I'd shoot for 60 at 2000 rpm +/-.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:49 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Mine's geared 5.38 with a 1:1 top gear in the trans (manual 5-speed) and I get ~55 at 2600 RPM. I plan to regear it to the 3.91 (or numerically lower) range as I feel it would cruise happily under 2000. It's a short bus about the size of yours but an IH with the T444e engine. And yes, that should improve your fuel economy and promote engine longevity though with a recent rebuild, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing it out anytime soon.

I've not driven a Freightlugger bus but is the key removable at any point? Some switches have an "accessory" position if turned "backwards" from what is normally "Off" (handy for listening to the radio without all the ignition stuff and gauges drawing from the battery).

"Title Jumping" (I've not heard this phrase before but I'm familiar with the practice) is when, for example, I buy a vehicle, have the seller sign the title but omit the date, an "open" title as it's sometimes called. I may have the vehicle for weeks or months in a legal and registration limbo until I resell it, at which point the new buyer gets the title, with the new date and their signatures. Usually the authorities have no way of knowing I ever had the vehicle and for honest sellers it's not usually a problem (even though it *is* technically against the law). The main reason it's illegal is, for an example, if the vehicle is used in a crime and abandoned anywhere, since the criminals know the cops have no way to trace the car back to them; they will investigate the last known owner (and for this reason, I always get the buyer's name/signature for my own records).

Dealers can transfer the car and title more than once (which is why they don't sign as buyer), most titles have provisions for this and dealers are registered with their respective states, they have rules to follow, paperwork to file and maintain, and have responsibility to know who's driving their cars, either as test drives, for service, fueling, to/from auctions, etc.
I think its more to do with the gov't missing out on the taxes from the lack of legal transfer to the seller. The gov't doesn't like missing out on tax money.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I think its more to do with the gov't missing out on the taxes from the lack of legal transfer to the seller. The gov't doesn't like missing out on tax money.

Well, yeah, there's that too.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Title jumping is when you buy and resell a vehicle without having the title ever in your name.

Yes, the gov't misses out on their piece of the action, which is why they're upset with it.

It's also a ploy used by people looking to buy and resell vehicles for profit without obtaining dealer licensing, or paying taxes on it. They're also not limited to a certain number of vehicle transactions per year like a private individual would, since the vehicle is never in their name.

Any buyers in this scenario would also not have any consumer protections that would typically be available to someone buying from a legitimate dealer.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
An aqaintance of mine owned a welding shop on a major throughfare in his town. For years he would pick up cheap vehicles and park them on the front lot with for sale signs. The guy would title jump and did not get a dealer license. Several times he got warning letters from the state DMV.

Years later when he went to sell the property the state confiscated most of the money from the sale, leaving the dude completely broke. He ended up committing suicide a few weeks later.

Curbstoning is illegal and people can and do get prosecuted for it.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
LMAO

That's called title jumping, and it's a felony in all 50 states. Usually something done by shady people avoiding taxes or selling junk to unsuspecting buyers.
Oh wow, I'd never heard of this. That kind of helps explain that wretched and problematic Buick I owned in the 2000's.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
It's around $200 to transfer title to my name and it takes weeks to get the title. In the meantime my bus sits in limbo and I can't sell it. Especially when it's bought from out of state and sold to someone out of state, my state needn't be involved just for their dollar.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #36
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Key and window

Quote:

Thank you! Combination of excited/tired. Woke up this am and retried getting let out like you suggested and got her out. Whistling driver seat window now propped closed with dowel and we’re on the road again!
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
It's around $200 to transfer title to my name and it takes weeks to get the title. In the meantime my bus sits in limbo and I can't sell it. Especially when it's bought from out of state and sold to someone out of state, my state needn't be involved just for their dollar.

No it's not, it's $18 for title transfer in GA. The remainder of that is registration cost (which includes the equivalent of sales tax), which can be skipped if you're not going to drive it (you'll have to sign a "I won't be driving it" form, though). True, the title does take a couple weeks to arrive.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 AM   #38
Bus Geek

Here we get the title right then and there once we pay em.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Title jumping is when you buy and resell a vehicle without having the title ever in your name.

Yes, the gov't misses out on their piece of the action, which is why they're upset with it.

It's also a ploy used by people looking to buy and resell vehicles for profit without obtaining dealer licensing, or paying taxes on it. They're also not limited to a certain number of vehicle transactions per year like a private individual would, since the vehicle is never in their name.

Any buyers in this scenario would also not have any consumer protections that would typically be available to someone buying from a legitimate dealer.
I met a gent that made his living "title jumping" buying and selling cars. He always met buyers in a parking lot somewhere and pretended to be the person on the title. He changed his phone number regularly.

I think that he may still be in jail...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
in ohio its illegal to buy a vehicle even if for resale and not pay the taxes on it.. (licensed dealers have provisions).. if I buy a bus from someone and title jump its a trip to the jailhouse.. i thuink they can even nail you for tax evasion if they want..

when I buy a vehicle, I go to the title agency do a VIN verification pay the sales tax and receive a title right then and there..

im guessingthe authorities arent looking for the person who sells a car a year or so..

however flipping busses is at some point going to catch someone's eye.. esp if it ends up being more than just a few a year.. if nothing else than for lack of paying income taxes on the money made...

I think flipping busses for cheaper than dealers is a fantastic idea I just dont want to see anyone get popped for it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote