Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 10:01 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Starting cut on roof raise

Question for those who raised their roofs. Did you have your lifting mechanisms in place before you mad any cuts? I wanted to make cuts on areas like the front and back like around the windows and whatnot, the challenging parts. Would anybody suggest against this?

Thanks

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Question for those who raised their roofs. Did you have your lifting mechanisms in place before you mad any cuts? I wanted to make cuts on areas like the front and back like around the windows and whatnot, the challenging parts. Would anybody suggest against this?

Thanks
Depending on the size of your bus, mine is a 40', I cut all the ribs but left three intact on each side.
Then I placed my lifting structure. You should have this all planned out before you cut.

I raised the roof by myself, no help. Yes it can be done but you need to plan it out really good.
Once I had the spacers made, I placed my lifting structure then cut the last ribs...and up in the air she went!

I used a technique which I call a hat channel slider.
See this thread for more info.

Basically I welded the tops of the square tubing, fabricated a cover for the bottom half so the tubing cannot "pop" out of place.

as you lift the roof, the square tubing slides in place, keeping the roof stable.

I didn't worry too much about level ground as I made "spacers" that fit in the window space. I used 8 spacers. I was able to lift, place the spacer in place and then lower rood to sit on the spacer.

This method insured that the top half of the roof would sit evenly on the bottom half (body) when lowered. this method ensured I had 18" at every window, no matter if the bus was no sitting on flat ground.

There are alot of posts on this subject matter, I would read some of the bus builds here and I'm sure you will get lots of inspiration on how to proceed.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:43 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Thanks. I have looked at tons of threads and approaches on roof raising. Just wanted to get started on the more challenging parts like around the door and driver window. Should have mentioned I have a 38ft dog nose and will be attempting to raise the entire roof with no slant like most do it. I will definitely take a look at your post. Appreciate it
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Here's the video I made on planning out the cuts...for a roof raise like you plan, without the angled transition. It might help you think through your cut plan. I hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/xbVyIsc0nZ4
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
I cut the ribs I was welding the lifting brackets to first, then welded lifting mechanisms in place, then cut the roof behind driver's seat and ribs. There was no turning back at that point!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191129_153407478.jpg   IMG_20191201_152906708_HDR.jpg  
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote