Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

states to stay away from

Good afternoon everyone,

I would like peoples opinion on what states to stay clear of when I am looking to buy a bus. After looking for a while i know to stay away from jersey, so much rust that you could see it eve in crappy pictures.

Thanks

jacob McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
You can LOOK at any bus anywhere but be very careful buying in any state that salts it's roads during winter. If you look at medium duty chassis buses it's easy to get under them. Throw down a tarp and crawl under with a good flashlight, camera and a cup of coffee and make a very thorough inspection.

I bought a bus in NJ that is very solid underneath but the interior floor was rusty due to the salty schmutz tracked in by the kiddies. I probably spent half and hour or 45 minutes under my bus before I bought it, just poking around. I also had my neighbor who is a heavy equipment mechanic for the state spend some time under it too just in case I missed anything.

What neither of us could see was the rust that was working it's way down from the inside because that salty schmutz soaked into the 3/4" rubber membrane covered plywood floor where it never dried - a BAD THING. Let the buyer beware. I stayed away from anything that was low enough that I couldn't easily crawl under it without jacking it up - for several reasons.

I might also add that floors rusting from the top down isn't a problem exclusive to states like NJ. If I recall correctly someone here mentioned they bought a bus in Texas that also had rusty interior floors due to a membrane covered plywood floor.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Divide the country into quarters and stay away from the North East quarter.