Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Skoolie

Storage closet plan in your conversion?

I have not got a bus yet but I was wonderiing how many of you plan enough storage space when you done your conversion? I got this feeling that I should commit say four to six feet for carrying bicycles and musical insturments. Is this thought practical? What have those of you that have used your converted buses found? Please let me know what you might have done different in your plans if you had to do over again.

Train-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't have NEARLY enough storage space. Some of the issue is just from not finishing building the space, some of it comes from the fact that the ONE compartment I have underneath is rusted shut, and a lot of it just comes from not listening when people told me to plan for twice as much space as I thought I would need.

Just the small stuff like basic tools, filters, and belts or condiments, paper plates, cups, etc....you wouldn't believe how quickly you run out of space! Some people are really crafty at finding storage space in otherwise wasted spaces. If you're crafty you might be able to work the storage around the floor plan. Otherwise, it's not a bad idea to work the floor plan around storage! I know I sure wish I could go back and change a few things. I'll save the knowledge gained for my next bus.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International Loadstar 1803
Engine: IH 392 gas V8
storage space

We're not done with our bus yet but one area that turned out pretty well for storage so far is our "captains" bed that we built. We put our queen size bed sideways at the very back of the bus and built a 2 foot high base underneath of it that has access doors from either the inside hallway or from the emergency door in the back. We are able to store lots of totes, tool boxes etc under there with no problem. Having plenty of storage is a big issue for us so we are going through and planning as much as possible. I hope to have pics soon but my camera crapped out on me.
jterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Right from the begining I designed plenty of storage into my plan. I did have to compromise on the hall closet...wound up turning it into a smaller size pantry as I didn't quite figure things out perfectly... hard to do when you start with a drawing... I put in plenty of cabinets, double closets in the bedroom, plus more cabinetry back there too...and the queen bed will lift up and has nice deep storage under there as well.

Added a small section for a linens in the bathroom (or at least left space for it, I'm not quite that far along with it yet).... Kitchen has more cabinets and drawer units than my current TT....and I have increased my overhead cabinets from a total of 4 of them in the TT to 10 of them in the bus...

I built my own under belly storage, not as big as I'd have hoped...but it's big enough...

If you need storage, work it out in your planning stage before you start the work... Good planning is the key to a great conversion!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28
Re: Storage closet plan in your conversion?

Haven't started my conversion yet gathering advise, ideas, and materials first!
MOstly cash first!!!
my idea is use the standard storage under the bed, bedroom in rear. a wall with a door.
then the space with the wheel humps will be double closets, then the bathroom on the left the shower on the right of the isle, a door
then the kitchen, living room, driving area.
The biggest part of my storage will be compartments built under the bus.
I am also planning at the head of the bed having storage above our heads and to the left and right as well. kind of an upside down u shape with our heads sticking in the center. also storage bulit over the drivers head as well. not sure if that one will work yet though
dale
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28
Re: Storage closet plan in your conversion?

hey if anybody has tried my closet idea and doesn't like it let me know please
dale
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote