Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Chassis: International
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
Question Stripping NSBY paint, spot treating, then painting on original primer?

Since the original primer has not worn off, even in spots where the paint has worn off, I'm thinking of keeping it.

Why spend time and money stripping off durable and time-proven 40 year old primer, where there's no bubbling or other signs of oxidation under it, only to prime with faux-eco modern primer, which won't be as durable as the old-school primer you just removed? I would rather prime over the original primer after proper prep.

Why do i want to strip the yellow paint? I'm going to be boondocking remote and want to make touch-ups easy after natures pinstriping, not having yellow mixed in with black purple.

Durability is my #1 consideration when it comes to my mobile dwellings exterior metal coatings.

What does everybody think about stripping the NSBY paint, spot treating rust spots, patching in missing primer, and painting over the original primer?

Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Expensive, time consuming, messy , and not necessary. Sand the whole thing down with a DA to give it tooth and shoot new primer.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Coachwork?
Engine: CAT 3208 Marine Diesel
I'll be using the most time-efficient methods for removing the top paint (including factoring in the hours worked at my job to pay for supplies). Mainly a combination of grit power washing, DA sanding, and that orange goop paint stripper. Still, I expect it to take workweeks of my life.
Inner Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Chemical paint stripping a bus will be a Herculean task! It will also remove the "good" primer you want to keep.

I second what 01marc says and go from there...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I third not to strip the paint! Power wash, sure, it will really get in some nooks and crannies and blow out some of the moss and hidden dirt. Sand, definitely. But just enough to remove the loose stuff that comes off easy. If the paint and/or primer is sticking well, leave it. There's a good bond there. This much I know.

From there, well, I'm not sure about wiping an entire bus (especially a 40') down with acetone.

I'd like to hear from others about how offensive it would be to suggest after sanding to simply rinse it down with water and a towel, then let it dry in the sun. Maybe compressed air along all the seam areas?

Or, is it really vital to use something like acetone?

Tags
durability, old-school, original primer, paint, primer