Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 06:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Struggling with a layout

We purchased a bus to convert. 11 window Thomas conventional. We have been racking our brains with possible layouts to get everything we want inside. Our needs are queen bed, shower, conventional toilet and bathroom vanity, L shaped sofa, plenty of counter top space, 7.5 cu ft fridge, and a drop down dining table/desk for two. The part we are really having trouble with is working around is the wheel wells. Don’t really have the means or finances for a roof raise and I’m 6 ft even and the bus has a 73” ceiling height in the center. Anyone in the community that has over came this struggle please share ideas.

Ercflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Also we don’t want a composting toilet, no solar needs, and we plan on just weekend camping with it. It’s not a live in skoolie. Just a replacement for our travel trailer
Old 07-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
I do not fully recommend putting the composting toilet over the wheel well cause it’s kinda annoying but that’s what kinda made my design click for me. If you’re only weekending the composting toilet with a good fan won’t smell at all and it solves lots of plumbing issues and pipe locations.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
11 windows should be plenty of space for what you want to do. Check out my build thread, starting here or so, I guess. I'm really only using 10 windows of space (about 24' long) but I have room for a cot along with washer and dryer (all in a space in back that could easily accommodate a queen instead), toilet and shower stall, full kitchen with a 6' long counter on one side, fold-up kitchen table, fold up 53" long desk and a near full-length couch with storage ottomans.

The wheel wells are really not a problem at all with this layout. The large kitchen sink is over one of them and the long countertop/cabinet is over the other, so all they really cost me is some storage space.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks you very much!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'd add that my layout is center aisle (some people call this "bowling alley") which seems to be greatly disliked by most skoolie builders. I personally think it just makes total sense - especially when you're not doing a roof raise and the ceiling is tallest down the center. My ceiling is 6'7" down the center, though (6'3" after insulating the floor and ceiling) and I'm also 6' even. Living in a bus as low as yours might be kind of tough unless you're a big sloucher.