Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissagirl View Post
I don't regret doing the bus. However, if I were to do it again, I would
A. Get a smaller bus
B. Get a newer bus
C. Maybe try a non-skoolie bus for insurance and space reasons.

Another issue is that we didn't really have a good place to work on the bus. We ended up moving it around a lot or working on it where we weren't supposed to. I think if I were to do it again, I would take what I learned from that experience and only get a bus when I have a plan beforehand. The driving force was we were looking for an alternative way to live and saw the bus had come up on auction and just went for it. We sold it because we needed the money and didn't want to pay perpetual storage costs. On the plus side though, it was a blast to drive.
I bet it was fun! The one we bought is a 2004 and is the shorter style. While I imagine there will be times when 'more space' would be nice, I do find it to be a very manageable size and able to house all the necessities (bed, shower space, honeypot, camp stove....). I also see how this is a big project, especially if you are starting from scratch. Was happy to have a little head start on the process...much less daunting. Good luck to you in the future! Cheers!!

tonyvideo2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1951
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: 2000 Chevrolet.
Engine: 400 ci Chev Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvideo2u View Post
Thanks, Johnboy! Was thinking of jacking it up (as much as I could) to put 'something' under each tire. I read somewhere on the forum that hooking a tow chain to the hooks in the back could 'bend the frame.' Too your knowledge is that the case? Cheers! Tony J.
There's no one answer to that; every situation is different.
If the stuck vehicle is only 'moderately' stuck there's not much likelihood of bending the chassis. Having said that, if the driver of the towing vehicle takes a run when towing instead of taking the weight before attempting to move the stuck one, then yes; the sudden jerk could potentially twist the chassis.
The old adage 'Slow and steady wins the race' is true in this circumstance.
Jacking the vehicle up and placing planks/rocks/whatever under the tyres is a good idea too.
I've had machinery weighing 12 ton or more so deep in mud that there has been water in the cab. But I've always got them out.
Sometimes its taken three or four days and a lot of talking to God.
But they've always come out eventually.

Slow and steady.
Not 'rip, tear, and...bust.'
Go at it with a hiss and a roar and you'll bust something.

jb
johnboy is offline   Reply With Quote