Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 84
Subfloor, glue, screw, or nail?

I've just spent a bunch of time on my hands and knees patching my bus floor. Now comes the time to put the subfloor down, and I really don't want to put any holes in the floor I just finished patching. The bus is not going to have any insulation on the floor (summer time camping bus, not living on it), so the subfloor will be attached directly to the metal.

I'm thinking of either gluing the floor down with Liquid Nails subfloor glue or joining each piece of subfloor to the next and creating a "floating" subfloor. I like the idea of the floating subfloor, but really not sure how well that will work when it comes time to put down walls and cabinets. Does anyone have any experience with this type of install?

Worse case, I can put the plywood down the same way the manufacturer did, using nails.

Here is the floor now:

Piersg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
The only problem with a floating floor is that if you ever fall over, that is a lot of material to fall on you. Make a bad day worse. Personally, I have it in my head to bolt mine down.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
i put 1" foam board down then 3/4 t&g, used ss self tappers. i m o you should rethink the no insulation, 1/2 " is only 8 bucks each, really cuts down on road noise. i have the same bus, cant hear the motor now
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
The only problem with a floating floor is that if you ever fall over, that is a lot of material to fall on you. Make a bad day worse. Personally, I have it in my head to bolt mine down.
I thought about that, but I think with the cabinetry sitting on the floor and fastened to the chair rail, it should stay in place ( I think!)
Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
i put 1" foam board down then 3/4 t&g, used ss self tappers. i m o you should rethink the no insulation, 1/2 " is only 8 bucks each, really cuts down on road noise. i have the same bus, cant hear the motor now
The problem is headroom, I'm 6'4" so every 1/2 inch counts! With the standard flooring, my head just clears the ceiling, add any insulation to the floor and I will be ducking the entire time. I will be using spray foam on the ceiling and walls. I will also be insulating/sound proofing the engine cover.