Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
That sounds...awesome! And it won't create moisture or anything? Do u know how big the pex needs to be? Yea I think it is a looping system. I'd really like to do this it sounds cool! The only scary part is what if the hoses ever leak? Does that ever happen? Would I destroy my floor?

Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
PEX can expand to near 4 times its size. The only way I see it cracking is if it froze, and even then most of the time it wont. It shouldn't ever in your case as your radiator fluid should never freeze. If it did you'd be in a world of hurt. It could leak like anything else, but most likely will not. Most of the folks on Skoolie are using PEX for their water systems. More versatile then copper. It's flexible and awesome stuff. Plus you'll only have two open ends on the hose and both will be under your dash. Easy repair if it leaks there. Your bus though. Just think about it because it's a great lititle addition if you're going to be living in a cold climate.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: DT466e
I don't plan on staying in cold climate, but it would be neat. I can always turn it off if I don't want hest going back there when I am driving right?

So here is the question, should the tubing be touching the metal floor, or should it be above the insulation?
Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
I don't plan on staying in cold climate, but it would be neat. I can always turn it off if I don't want hest going back there when I am driving right?

So here is the question, should the tubing be touching the metal floor, or should it be above the insulation?
It will radiate down and it's wasted heat if it's touching the metal. A lot of the skoolie owners who have done it actually put it in the plywood and lay the laminate floor down over that, so the radiant heat has less to travel through. Cutting a track in the plywood is more work, which is why I recommended routing it in the insulation itself. Your choice though.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
What do you figure it costs to put in the pex and distribution system? I'm so tempted to go that way. That almost demands that you also get either a coolant block heater such as a Webasto or you can also use an instant hot water heater system dedicated to the hydronic floor system.

Costs are all over the board on the heating units. I find the same Webasto heating unit (32C) priced from $1,200 to $600, and it fits in well with the one fuel source idea. A small instant hot water heater can heat the floor and costs a lot less, but it does a lot less.