Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
sun block for tires...

Anyone have suggestions for covering their tires on their busses? I live in sunny Florida & am concerned with the sun beating on the tires that it may cause premature damage... Any suggestions of what anyone is using to block the UV?
Thanks!
Jonathan

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: sun block for tires...

Commercial tire covers are available at most RV stores. However, a cheaper solution may be to buy some foil-backed foam board, cut it to fit up into the wheel well, and be done with it. It won't pack as small as a fabric cover, but it will pack flat and give you the added bonus of providing a wind block for the wheel wells - which, if you block around the rest of the bus, will help save energy when air conditioning it .
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Bus Nut

There are those tire covers that you can get. I just did a google search for "Bus Tire Covers" and the very first one mentions a size cover for buses, but doesnt seem to carry them...

I have seen people use plastic, drywall, plywood, and my favorite, folding metal.

The metal one but a cutout that was just big enough to fit into the wheel well, but had arms that folded out at the bottom for better support. I think it had latches attached to it and the body of the vehicle to latch it in place on top, but I cant be sure as I only saw it once and that was several years ago. Paint it to match your bus...

I have an idea for something simular, but it would involve having a metal box mounted to an old wheel hub. When you park in one location for awhile, you take the tires off and put these on. They wont care about the sun, but they might rust.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54

Armor-All or a similar product works great for protecting rubber from UV deterioration.

-Adam
arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Man, you know global warming is real when we need to apply sunscreen to our tires.

I think if you're going to be constantly on the go and only staying in one place for a few days at a time, no need to worry. Few weeks/months at a time, wheel covers. If we're talking years, then I like the idea of blocking it off.
josetann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I think I will put Amour All on them first...tires are just way too expensive not to take care of. My bus is parked in a place that gets sun all day, every day!

We have some left over roofing from the new metal roof on the house... Thinking I may cut it to size, just gotta decide how to keep it in place. After I posted this I remembered SeanF has covers on his bus, gotta ask what he used. I hate to buy something as there are always other options with things laying around the house that will work just as well & are, well free!
Thanks for the input so far!

Jonathan
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Bus Nut

josetann:

I hear ya! "Man, you know global warming is real when we need to apply sunscreen to our tires."
Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

I use the coated fabric ones from the RV store. After 3 years, they're looking rough but still intact and doing the job.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

How about making wheel covers from the seat fabric. I'm useing 1/2 sheets of treated plywood--but I saved enough back seat covers to sew something up (if I ever get around to it).
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote