Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Suspension noise?

New to the forum and really appreciate all the great info here.

I'm hoping to buy a bus for conversion in the next few days. It feels like I have some good options, but I have a question about one of the buses that's beyond my knowledge base.

I was told that one of the buses occasionally pops or squeaks -- not the engine but the suspension. Was told the bus runs great but that's what older buses do by a school district rep. Curious if others could share their experience here.

If it does have an actual suspension issue, I'm curious what it might cost to fix it.

Thanks all!

chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
It could be anything from worn bushings or pins in the suspension, to just needing grease. It's also possible it's not the suspension but something near the suspension.

Suspension repair costs can be all over the place, especially depending on how much rust is on the bus and design. I was quoted a rough $500 to replace the rear air bags in one of my buses. I paid the same shop $700 to rebush the front leaf springs and align the front end on my F-250. At the same time I live in a very affluent area and labor costs tend to be inflated, I've seen $130 an hour for independent auto shops.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Truthseeker. Very helpful.
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Could be any number of things. Spring and hangers, steering related, kingpins and bushings, or even brake related. My bus has rear air ride and will leak down after sitting a few minutes, producing some unsettling popping, "groaning" and hissing sounds as it does (but otherwise harmless). I will eventually replace the air bags and leveling valve. I've driven large vehicles that made occasional suspension sounds for months with no apparent ill effect. However, I did inspect for any obvious safety problems (and found nothing noteworthy).
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote