Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Swapping trans

My bus came with a DT466 and spicer 5 speed. I want to upgrade to a 6 or 7 speed overdrive. Has anyone done this?
I know you need to shorten the drive shaft. I will be getting a new clutch, maybe an easy pedal. Any recommendations on what trans to use? Really not interested in split shifting or anything like that.

bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
I'm looking to do the same thing. The Spicer 7-speed should be an easy upgrade from the 5-speed. Judging entirely from images on the internet the 7-speed appears to be a bit longer than the 5-speed, but the mounts are identical. I've read that the gears are close, though and even experienced drivers occasionally push into the wrong gear.

I'd be ok with a 2-speed differential if I could find one that also had a diff-lock.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
I have that same combo, I can definitely see why you'd want to upgrade. If I wanted to do more road trips with it, I'd be looking into it for sure. How fast can you get going down back roads before you are feeling like you're pushing the engine a little too high in the rpms? I get feeling uneasy passed 55mph. But, I coasted down a big hill going 60-65 and it felt smooth as butter.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Check your gear ratios in the 5 speed, then in the 7 speed.

You may not have any higher speed in the top gear. Many 7 speeds only have less RPM drop between gears, keeping the engine in the peak power when pulling hard.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
You may not have any higher speed in the top gear. Many 7 speeds only have less RPM drop between gears, keeping the engine in the peak power when pulling hard.

Nat
Yep, that's exactly what I'm going for. I'm governed at 105km/h (65mph), which I'm perfectly happy with, but the spread between 4th and 5th gear is too much.
I'd also like to get a lower reverse gear since the one in this transmission is way to high. It's about the same ratio as the 2nd forward gear. I have to constantly slip the clutch so I don't go careening into objects behind me.
Realistically, a 2-speed rear could solve all of my problems. They don't seem as common these days, though. Were they really all that bad?
Old 07-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Bus Geek

The two speed rears were great. I liked them.

It was the lack of people shifting them properly that sucked.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 07-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I've not driven one, but I've read enough that I think I get it. Basically don't be a dumbass and try to shift under load; watch your rpms. Just like every other transmission without synchros. Seems easy enough. As mentioned above, if I stumble across a 2-speed with a diff lock I'll be jumping on it. Actually, I think all those fancy contraptions are within the carrier, no? It'd be prime if I could swap that out, do all the axle seals and retain my brakes (especially since I just ordered a new rotor).
Old 07-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

You will need the whole 2 speed rear.

The electric shifter motor is mounted high on the pumpkin beside where the pinion enters the diff.

The pumpkin has castings that take the shaft and mount the shifting motor.

The down side is most had low gears. Low and vary low.

IMO the 7 speed trans would be a better option.

Nat