Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #41
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,956
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Sounds like a bowthruster might do the trick easier. No more crosswind problems.


John

__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bar Harbor Maine
Posts: 67
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
question everything? yes ! there are no coincidences "Q" ! would parralel park like a dream !
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #43
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 220
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsideJourney View Post
We raised my bus 24". I wanted at least a 12" raise, to account for 2-3 inches of spray foam & wood in the ceiling and floor, plus some headroom for the tall people in my family. My dad convinced me to go the full 24" so there wouldn't be any waste in the sheet metal.

We are also going to raise the floor 12" and put the 200 gal fresh water tanks and 100 gal grey tanks in the floor storage ("floorage") so it won't freeze.
There are several posts that mentioned raising the roof on a Thomas bus is challenging because the sides are canted about 6 deg. Did you have any issues or is this a myth?
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #44
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
There are several posts that mentioned raising the roof on a Thomas bus is challenging because the sides are canted about 6 deg. Did you have any issues or is this a myth?
Its not a myth. They're sloped 6 degrees inward from the top rub rail up.
It adds a little complexity but can be done. Making it look good is the tricky part. Easiest to cut below the window line.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:42 PM   #45
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 220
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Its not a myth. They're sloped 6 degrees inward from the top rub rail up.
It adds a little complexity but can be done. Making it look good is the tricky part. Easiest to cut below the window line.
Was that for certain years? The Thomas owners (that I am aware of) which have raised the roof did not mention having issues with this? For example, watch the roof raise you tube video for “The Bus Life”. I believe their bus is an early to mid 2000 something Thomas Saf-T-Liner Bus. The raise to me did not look any different than one on a Bluebird.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #46
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I don't watch much YouTube bus content. All Thomas buses I've seen have had the 6 degree slope.
The roof can still be raised. It just takes more care.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie
 
RoadsideJourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
There are several posts that mentioned raising the roof on a Thomas bus is challenging because the sides are canted about 6 deg. Did you have any issues or is this a myth?
It was a bit more challenging, but with the help of my mech. engineer brother-in-law, we figured it out. We could have cut below the windows, and that would probably have been a lot easier. I don't remember why we decided against that (it was back in the springtime), but we cut just below the roof, to minimize the slope. We welded in a 1x2 steel tube to the hat channels. We also bolted the tube at the top and bottom as a backup to the welds. To the tube, we welded 1x1 angle iron that we pre-drilled for the rivets. This pretty much mimics the hat channel shape. We didn't add the flanges to the areas that will be cut out for RV Windows.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #48
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 220
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsideJourney View Post
It was a bit more challenging, but with the help of my mech. engineer brother-in-law, we figured it out. We could have cut below the windows, and that would probably have been a lot easier. I don't remember why we decided against that (it was back in the springtime), but we cut just below the roof, to minimize the slope. We welded in a 1x2 steel tube to the hat channels. We also bolted the tube at the top and bottom as a backup to the welds. To the tube, we welded 1x1 angle iron that we pre-drilled for the rivets. This pretty much mimics the hat channel shape. We didn't add the flanges to the areas that will be cut out for RV Windows.
I was looking at "The Bus Life" roof raise on YouTube which they raised theirs 14" and I did not see anything that caused an issue.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie
 
RoadsideJourney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 22
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
I was looking at "The Bus Life" roof raise on YouTube which they raised theirs 14" and I did not see anything that caused an issue.
Yes, their roof raise is what inspired me to do mine. He made it looks pretty easy. I think they may be different in style because his is a rear engine, and mine is a front engine.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #50
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Posts: 220
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsideJourney View Post
Yes, their roof raise is what inspired me to do mine. He made it looks pretty easy. I think they may be different in style because his is a rear engine, and mine is a front engine.
I don't know if they are different but maybe someone else knows? I would be doing a raise on a 40' rear engine 1998 Thomas Saf-T-Liner. It has the air conditioner on the rear part of the roof so there might be issues there.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.