Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84
Tankless LP hot water heaters on the CHEAP!

Anyone have experience with one of these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Marey-LP ... iesQ5fGear $195 Seems very cheap compared to a traditional rv tankless. They have a 3gpm for a $80 more. They say they need verticle ventilation using 4.5". Do you think a double wall 90* elbow right off the top straight to the outside would be ok? Is 2gpm very much? I really am thinking about getting one.

tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2012
Coachwork: Need bus-as-home over RV
Chassis: still looking
Re: Tankless LP hot water heaters on the CHEAP!

No experience with them.

"Hot off the back of a truck!" I wonder if he bought that truckload. >_>

As far as just the claims in the ad however, 2gpm isn't much but it should feed a low flow showerhead. (one of the really misty ones are about 2.5gph, and you mix it with cold so that's enough) Dont think you'll be running a dishwasher or washing machine though - filling it with hot the first time would likely take 30 minutes.

Website says 1.47-2gph depending on temperature http://www.tanklesshq.com/product-specs.html the lowest heat setting is only a 10C rise the highest is 25C and lists "5 liters per minute" flow rate at that. Once mixed with cold to get enough flow rate you may well be seeing a lukewarm shower even starting at room temperature. But that may be all one needs too.

Except their "Below wholesale!" BS doesnt fly when there seem other retailers or bidding outlets selling it for less on the general web with lower shipping to boot.
nearhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I like long, moderately hot showers. I have been considering tankless hot water for years, I just haven't had a failed tank-type to replace. I got a pail and a clock and measured the amount of water I used in the house I lived in in the '90s - it was exactly 2 gallons per minute, with a standard budget shower head. Some of the low-flow heads are closer to one gallon, but I don't think they would give the same satisfying soaked feeling.

The house I lived in after that came with a spray/massage head that used closer to 5 gallons, but there was no need for that much. I would have replaced it, but all the plumbing was a special gold color.

I think the amount of water through these LPG heaters would be OK, depending on the temperature rise needed.

My idea would be to use one, and try and adapt an RV refrigerator vent through the roof for the exhaust. If it requires a certain height stack in order to draw properly, I would try mounting it lower in the bus instead of going higher above the roof. I don't know if an elbow and side exhaust would cramp its style.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84

Thanks for your insight. I ended up buying a brand new scratch and dent 10gal lp/110v heater today. I got it for 50% off new retail price.
tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote