Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2023, 08:33 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Terminating My Subfloor at the Cab: How do I End It?

I'm on the last section of my floating subfloor but I just don't know how to terminate it. I watched Chuck cassady's video where he puts a wooden end cap over it which I like but I don't know what to do between the end of that and the driver cab.
Moreover I've got that patch at the driver side wheel well that is too small to put another small piece of pink foam there because it'll probably squeak. What do I do for insulation there? Did I go up too far with the foam? The final 4ft sheet of plywood is going to stop about 7" short of where the foam is now and I was gonna cut a final small piece of plywood to go over that last bit. Just feeling pretty unsure currently and don't want to proceed further without a plan

Imgur pics

Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:48 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
You could terminate the subfloor with a wood end cap. For the area under the driver seat you will want to keep the floor thickness as close to what it was originally so the brake and gas pedals work and the seat height is correct.

The subfloor under my driver's seat was in great condition so I left it in and brought the foam and subfloor right up to it.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

TJones, if I terminate it with the wood end cap, what fills the 7” gap between there and the cab? How would I insulate that?
Old 03-19-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
TJones, if I terminate it with the wood end cap, what fills the 7” gap between there and the cab? How would I insulate that?
Continue with the foam and plywood to the drivers seat area. If you are using adhesive on you foam and then screwing your plywood down it shouldn't move and squeak.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:37 PM   #5
Skoolie

I plan on building a box around the dog house too. Would I just do that over the plywood?
Old 03-20-2023, 04:22 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Something to consider: I built an insulated bulkhead wall with its own door about 2' behind my driver's seat. Forward of this wall I did not insulate the floor (as its not part of my living space), just bolted down 3/4" plywood directly to the steel. The front of a bus is effectively impossible to insulate properly, or even to seal from airflow, and a bulkhead wall makes this unnecessary as well as making insulating the floor all the way to the front unnecessary.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Something to consider: I built an insulated bulkhead wall with its own door about 2' behind my driver's seat. Forward of this wall I did not insulate the floor (as its not part of my living space), just bolted down 3/4" plywood directly to the steel. The front of a bus is effectively impossible to insulate properly, or even to seal from airflow, and a bulkhead wall makes this unnecessary as well as making insulating the floor all the way to the front unnecessary.
Yeah, I have seen your pics of that and really like the idea. I’m curious how you secure that wall to the floor? Is there foam at the bottom of it?
Old 03-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
Yeah, I have seen your pics of that and really like the idea. I’m curious how you secure that wall to the floor? Is there foam at the bottom of it?
I welded tabs made of angle steel to the floor, walls and ceiling, and then bolted the wall to these tabs. My floor foam board goes right up to the wall and then the wall has foam board on its back side that goes down to the floor foam, so the insulation is continuous and unbroken.

Tags
cab, driver cab, foam board insulation, plywood, subfloor