Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 366 Gas
Texture on the ceiling

Has anyone texture the ceiling????? I was thing about doing it but. 1. I don't know if it would stick...And 2. If I could paint it with automotive paint. Our could I paint it with latex. What do you think???????PS I have started adding photos to the gallery under Road Trip.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
Hey, Kirby!

I haven't done anything with my ceiling yet, so I'm not speaking from experience.......

I doubt that the popcorn paint would be very satisfactory. Even in a tall ceiling bus, there are too many things (like hands) that seem to be attracted to the ceiling.

One thing that might work is the fiberglass sheeting that they sell for bathroom walls. It has a textured surface, and it bends pretty well, too. It ain't cheap, though, at about $40US locally.

Of course, wood is a texture.... ;)
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I have thought about texturing the walls. I would mix up some drywall mud powder with cheap latex paint instead of water. Of course it would probably need to be thinned with water to spray properly. To protect hands, heads and anythign else that hits the ceiling I would use an oragne peel texture. Of course this is my idea and the decorator (wife) probably has another.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
Skoolie

I was thinking of a lite texture. Just to off set all the screws.......What kind of texture would stick to metal?? That stuff in a spray can get hard I thinking that would be the best.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Getting it to stick to metal is not a big problem. I have seen many basements where they sprayed texture right on the exposed duct work. The problem in a skoolie is the metal vibrates like crazy. That is why I am considering mixing latex paint in with the texture. If the powdered mud is too thick I will just use latex paint. If it is not thin enough for the sprayer to handle I can add some water.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I don't know how well joint compound would hold up on a roof, but when we did the walls on our stairway in the house we took a rather easy approach. We took joint compound and put it on board so we could dab it with a big, heavy bristle paint brush. We would get a little on it, and then tap it against the wall. After a large enough area was done we LIGHTLY dragged a big putty knife over it to take out the points. The end result was a neat, cheap texture that was safer to skin than popcorn paint. Maybe it might be worth trying on a piece of sheetmetal and just driving around with it....see how it holds up?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
I mixed the paint for the outside of my roof with ceramics:

http://www.hytechdistributors.com/

While I'm yet to be convinced as to it's effectiveness as an insulator it does give the paint a nice sandpapery finish and it makes it tougher. It's a good non-slip surface too, keeps me from falling off the roof.

There are textured wallpapers that you could apply to the ceilig and paint, I'm planning of something like this:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_walls_other ... 62,00.html

http://www.creativewallcovering.com/art ... ilings.php

Cheers,
Old 03-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I looked at some of that textured wallpaper. It is very interesting, and very pretty. I particularly like the kind that looks like old tin ceilings.

Fortunately, I'm nowhere near ready to start on my ceiling, so I am going to be thinking about this a lot before summer starts.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
Skoolie

Well I got some of that texture in a spray can and tried it. When it's dry you have a hard time sanding it off. I think at this point I think thats what I going to do.I let you know how it turns out...I got to try something just leaving it plan is not for me.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #10
Bus Nut

One thing that I am thinking about, although it may be prohibitively expensive, is that copper foil that they use for roofing. Mostly it's used for flashing, and it comes in rolls about 10 inches wide. It's not very thick, so it probably shouldn't be used in high traffic (hands on ceiling) areas, but it would make a nice accent in places, perhaps.

The stuff costs many American dollars.