Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner/Thomas FS65
Engine: Cat C7
The alarm won’t stop! Help!

I bought a 2004 Freightliner/Thomas FS65 72 passenger bus yesterday. When the ignition switch is in the off position and the doors are open, the interior lights cut on and the horn won’t stop blowing. How do we stop it?!

cmstrick654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Do you have a vandal lock? This would be a small lock on the outside, usually above and to the right of the passenger door (takes a separate key than the ignition).
Old 04-25-2020, 01:36 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Could be a "Leave No Child Behind" alarm. When we were looking at buses at a Midwest Transit lot they told us we could start them up (but not drive them). I started a few. One of them, when I shut it off, had the horn alarm that you're describing. I walked away whistling when I couldn't figure out how to shut it down.

A maintenance worker came by and fixed it, and explained to me that there's a switch or button in the back of the bus that you need to hit after you shut the bus off. This feature is to make sure the driver walks the length of the bus to make sure no kids have been left on the bus. I don't know the details or the process, but it could be the issue you're having.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Could be a "Leave No Child Behind" alarm. When we were looking at buses at a Midwest Transit lot they told us we could start them up (but not drive them). I started a few. One of them, when I shut it off, had the horn alarm that you're describing. I walked away whistling when I couldn't figure out how to shut it down.

A maintenance worker came by and fixed it, and explained to me that there's a switch or button in the back of the bus that you need to hit after you shut the bus off. This feature is to make sure the driver walks the length of the bus to make sure no kids have been left on the bus. I don't know the details or the process, but it could be the issue you're having.
I agree that’s most likely what’s going on right now.
On my Thomas the reset button is right beside the rear door latch side. Be very careful if you attempt to disable the alarm in the fuse panel as you may cause a no start issue. I was able to disable mine but just can’t remember exact procedure right now. Will try and have a look at it again and see if I can help.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
On my Thomas the reset button is right beside the rear door latch side. Be very careful if you attempt to disable the alarm in the fuse panel as you may cause a no start issue. I was able to disable mine but just can’t remember exact procedure right now. Will try and have a look at it again and see if I can help.
That would be really helpful. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Do you have a vandal lock? This would be a small lock on the outside, usually above and to the right of the passenger door (takes a separate key than the ignition).
Sad world we live in when this sort of thing is needed on a school bus... Not that I haven't seen it before.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn Sutton - Two Laps - Cheerio.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	43791
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:39 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstrick654 View Post
I bought a 2004 Freightliner/Thomas FS65 72 passenger bus yesterday. When the ignition switch is in the off position and the doors are open, the interior lights cut on and the horn won’t stop blowing. How do we stop it?!

Call Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation in Gaffney, SC with your VIN handy.

They may be reached at 800-385-4357.

This is the Freightliner help number ... very handy to have if your bus does not start too. This is the company that made your bus. They can also send you schematics and even your bus floorplan. They might even be able to set up a login to the DTNA site and the TBB portal so you can get information at any time.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:10 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate that Native
Old 01-22-2021, 01:22 PM   #9

Year: 2010
Quote:

Did you by any chance look to see how you disabled this feature? We thought we had disabled ours, but I just turned the bus on a d now each time I try removing the key the horn honking and light flashing starts. Any assistance you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
sue.sheffer@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Because I triggered the "no child left behind" several times on my bus (IC CE300) without being able to cancel it despite following the sequence in the owner's manual (everytime had to disconnect/reconnect the batteries), I got the feature permanently disconnected at an International dealership (pretty cheap $33), because I could not figure out the wiring on the bus panel clear enough to attempt any disconnect myself.
Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:54 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue.sheffer@gmail.co View Post
Did you by any chance look to see how you disabled this feature? We thought we had disabled ours, but I just turned the bus on a d now each time I try removing the key the horn honking and light flashing starts. Any assistance you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated.
Sorry for the delay in replying. When I picked up my bus from auction the alarm for the no kid left behind was screaming non stop even when the button was pushed. For the trip home I unplugged the alarm unit complete(white clip under unit) and a second alarm that was plugged it to the flasher relay slot( see pic) this stopped the screaming without any affect on my ignition. I have not traced the issue any further than that. Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	53337
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb1 View Post
Because I triggered the "no child left behind" several times on my bus (IC CE300) without being able to cancel it despite following the sequence in the owner's manual (everytime had to disconnect/reconnect the batteries), I got the feature permanently disconnected at an International dealership (pretty cheap $33), because I could not figure out the wiring on the bus panel clear enough to attempt any disconnect myself.
Thank you for the information. Friday I just opened the electrical panel and unplugged anything that showed in the diagram as being for emergency exits and emergency exit buzzer. If I can't get it to start again I'll take it to an international shop.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in replying. When I picked up my bus from auction the alarm for the no kid left behind was screaming non stop even when the button was pushed. For the trip home I unplugged the alarm unit complete(white clip under unit) and a second alarm that was plugged it to the flasher relay slot( see pic) this stopped the screaming without any affect on my ignition. I have not traced the issue any further than that. Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck. Attachment 53337
Thank you, that is exactly what I ended up doing yesterday when I couldn't get it to stop. I haven't tried restarting the bus since then. I had just been out doing some work during my lunch hour. And today it was down in the 20's too cold to do any work on it.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:59 PM   #14

puh thanks guys, saved my day!
James42 is offline   Reply With Quote