Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #1

Year: 1966
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 1603
The Big Bitch needs HELP!!! 1966 International Bus Info...

Cheers to everyone...It's awesome to be here! First I wanna tell all y'all how much I F*#&ING LOVE MY BUS!!! I seem to come from a part of the planet that just does not appreciate the fantastic potential of a converted 22' school bus to shaggin' wagon! My mother is the leader of this hate group I speak of, and so I have parked the beauty right in her driveway!! Ha. The joke is on her...and yes, I am an adult (tantrums included)! ;)

So here is my problem, and plea for help: I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS BUS! I don't know what engine is it it, or anything abot a transmission except it's manual, it does have a split rear axel - 2 speed right? I know, I sound like an idiot and yes, to those wondering, I am a girl, I have big boobs, and I do have blond hair most places...

Here is what I know about my bus - her name is Big Bitch. NO - that is not all, thank you...It is a 1966 International Harvester, Model #1603, WB 151. The metal plate thingy (technical term) says Cert. Net Horsepower 182.3 at 3800 RPM ; Cert. Gross HP 196.7 at 4000 RPM ; Max GVW 24000lbs. There is an additional plate explaining the 2speed axle electric shift. The bus is 22' long with a nose. Side and rear door. One driver seat w.seatbelt. It was converted in 1977 by an RV/Motorcoach company and is self contained with the exception of a shower. It has a kitchen running down one side w.4 burner stove/oven, dual stainless sinks, lots of under counter storage and above cabinets. There is the main electrical box on this wall with 4 outlets. Has propane/electric fridge & freezer. Then bathroom w/locking door and medicine cabinet. working lights - no sink or shower in bathroom. Along the other side is a dinette with table and two benches that converts into a bed, closet, and full size built in box frame for bed at the rear. There are cabinets along entire side and under bed and under bench storage. I got it equipped with mirrors at the head and foot of bed, as well as on the ceiling above the bed. Good times....especially finding the folded up nudy pic behind one of the ceiling mirrors. Eewwww. It has two roof top skylight/vent things but only the rear one is a pillow top skylight with interior crank handle to open it. What else???? Okay it has a 60 gallon I think propane tank built in underneath, a hot water heater in a side panel, a wall furnace with thermostat inside, another power outlet underneath one of the benches, septic tank with diverter to sink or toilet - but I dont think has the "grey water" tank cuz that's for a shower,right? It does have room for two batteries under the hood, windows (except for 2 original drop down bus ones) are converted to motorhome windows with a crank that turns to open windows out, and there are light fixtures that use old school car light bulbs that just push and turn to lock. There are lights under cabinets in ktchen, above dinette, two by bed, bathroom, and above driverseat. The body is in excellent condition with no rust or bondo - seems to be galvanized. The paint is terrible - white now, just a crappy peeling job - but you can see on the roof the green it was before and of course the school bus orange-yellow. It has huge side mirrors, lots of round lights on front and back of bus, dual tires in the rear, and must have 6'4 ceilings cuz my friend who is 6'5 has to barely tilt his head!!! I think that is it. I do have all the original manuals and paperwork from the RV custom job - for the range, hot water heater, furnace, etc...and all of it runs great. Oh, it does have the RV plug on the outside, but I am using a converter to run standard 110 and I it is plugged into an extention cord going in through my kitchen window. I will run a space heater, laptop, TV, DVD player and lights with out any problem of power.

So here is my problem. I have no idea what in the hell I just said!!! It hadnt been started for over two years and I bled the brakes (not even from under the bus but just by opening that little screw to let the air out, ya know?), put in some water, and gave her a jump start and she ran like a champ all the way down a steep hill in the rain. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what the engine is in this thing??? I assume the mechanics part are fairly stock. And how much is she worth? I have looked at Skoolies and Bus Nuts and it seems even his thing gutted is worth quite a bit...and then costs a small fortune to do plumbing and electrical. Please, any engine/mechanical info is greatly appreciated, and a price??? What is fair for me to buy it at and what resale would be updated from 1977 to 2010!!! Needs minor cosmetic work inside - some wood panels replaced, paint, cabinets painted or veneered, maybe new curtains and new covers for dinette benches...minor stuff.

Please I beg and plead for ALL advise and knowledge from people who see the diamond in the ruff and not the swamp thing just pulled out of a river death trap!!! Hahaha...sorry mom! =)

naughttiemommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Re: The Big Bitch needs HELP!!! 1966 International Bus Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughttiemommie
to those wondering, I am a girl, I have big boobs, and I do have blond hair most places...
Never mind the bus... howabout photos of YOU!

*Wipes eyes, catches breath*

...But seriously though, welcome to the madness. Sounds like a great find, with the professional conversion and all. If it's in decent shape that alone will save you a ton of work and money. With some paint, maintenance and cosmetic rehab that should turn out to be a Sweeeet RV. Would love to see some pix...of the bus!

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

Yes, send pictures of all of her.........mmmmm........the bus. And you too!! Sounds like an awesome conversion.

I'm sure if you post your location there would be a skoolie convention willing to help with all your needs. cough.... cough!!!
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #4

Hi John - Thanks for the comments...I am in Santa Cruz, California. And it does run on regular unleaded gasoline. Any idea what she's worth? Before conversion and after? Like what would a bus like mine cost still with all the seats in it - totally just a school bus still...? And then like it is now with the plumbing and septic and heat and water and all that...? Granted, it needs some cosmetic revamping to bring her outta the Brady Bunch era, but aside from that, she's cool. My original plan was to do all the remodeling and now it might be to sell and buy a bigger, more livable bus or trailer or mobilehome. I'm sure I got it for a fantastic deal...but If I have to sell her, I could use as much money as possible to go towards the new project. Anyways, any advise is appreciated. I am trying to take some pictures to post - I'm sure that that would help someone determine the value, right? I will work on that

Cheers!

Valerie
Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #5

Hey - I am working on pictures of the bus...in the meantime, this is me. Regards, Val
Attached Thumbnails
0914092311a.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Damn mb
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 345
Rated Cap: 69

naughttiemommie,

I'm happy as-is.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Chaa - Chiing!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

The LP tank is probably a 40 lb tank. My suggestion would be to spend time in the bus before you start changing things. Are you going to full-time in it? Then you may want to put a shower in somewhere. Many campgrounds are starting to not have bathhouses. The mobile home type parks usually don't (the last RV/mobile home park we stayed in didn't have a bathhouse... our current RV park has a bathhouse but it's being "remodeled" and has been for over a year... they are tired of folks trashing the bathhouse and it will not be reopened). BTW, we have fulltimed in a 22 ft Class C since summer 2006.

The advice I gave my daughter (she gets our Class C when we move into the skoolie) was to spend an entire year in the Class C before buying her bus (she wants a skoolie already converted so all she needs to do is tweak it a little). This way she will learn what she NEEDS versus what she wants. It is surprising how much we live outside. We also found that the two of us really didn't need a 40 ft bus. But we ended up with a 40 footer because that was was was available when we were ready to buy. We have a strange outlook in that when we are ready for something (like the bus...it was our "moving van") Fate (or whatever) will place it in our path.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

something makes me think that you will get lots of replies to any of your posts!!
more pictures of the bus? really guys? theres a bus?

welcome to the site, just a warning you might get some ribbing!!
gbstewart
Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #11

Re: The Big Bitch needs HELP!!! 1966 International Bus Info.

hello all...i apologise for taking so long in getting up a picture of my beauty" i ask for help and you are all so kind to offer it and then i take 6months to take a freakin picture. i am not a spaz, i promise...but ihave been told i lack time management. i am starting to see some truth in that Anyways, I am soory to say that i might actually have to sell this Big Bitch as I have no where to put this shaggin wagon, and tho my mother will cry to see her leave the driveway (tears of joy, the bitch) i am not seeing too many options on keeping her. I have done some improvements since the pics - these were taken mid-painting so they are a mess, but i have finished all the paint on the interior and installed new carpet as well. the cabinet fronts are all black now and have lovely silver knobs&hinges. I will take newer pics as soon as i stop sleeping in her long enuf to clean out my crap...but i need some kind of idea what i should ask for her? there isnt enough money in the world to replace her in my heart - but i just dont wanna f*%& myself out of money that i could really use as a single mom of two, full time college student on my way to law school, and jedi. Any thoughts? and should i list it on ebay or craigs list or skoolie.net or what do y"all think? as requested, I have uploaded a current pic of myself in the bus
Attached Thumbnails
bus1.jpg   bus2.jpg   bus3.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #12

Attached Thumbnails
val leopard dress.jpg  
Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Hey Naughty! Finally, something to talk about besides politics. Unless were talking about being politically correct. Luv your bust, Errr I mean bus. I thought of mirrors on my ceiling, but it would scare the **** out of my wife in the morning if I happened to sleep in the nude
I would think you could get a fair price out of her. E-bay/craigs would be a good option. What did you have to give for it? Sounds like all the hard work is done. I would think you could get several thousand out of it with no problem. Anyone looking to do a convertion would see the value of yours having the hard work already done. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

nice ol bus,looks like a wayne conversion will have a 345 for sure,2-speed axle is nice,interior looks good also.Only 22 footer? old cornbinder is a good platform
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #15

I know this thread is old but I recently bought a 66 international 1603 school bus converted into a party bus. If the motor is original and matches the plate you have a 304 (I have the same plate and motor in my bus). Good motor a little underpowered, I can only get about 52 mph out of her with her wound up. I am interested if you kept the bus or sold it. Here is a picture of my bus
bigjakeb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
im betting she worked this forum for its worth and moved on to the next..........
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote