Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The height of a Crown Supercoach

Well, a Crown is above any other, but I mean the physical dimensions. The variable length and fixed width info is available, but I'm having a hard time finding the height. I've found one stat at 6'3" and another at 6'6", but not an "officially" stated measurement. So this is a cry for help from those of you that are fortunate to own a Crown. Which is the standard inside height of a Crown and there are variations per year or model, as it is? Thanks!

Guiomar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiomar1 View Post
Well, a Crown is above any other, but I mean the physical dimensions. The variable length and fixed width info is available, but I'm having a hard time finding the height. I've found one stat at 6'3" and another at 6'6", but not an "officially" stated measurement. So this is a cry for help from those of you that are fortunate to own a Crown. Which is the standard inside height of a Crown and there are variations per year or model, as it is? Thanks!

I just got back from town and while there I measured the distance from the ceiling to the floor at the centerline of the bus and found that it is 75" ceiling to floor. I decided it was time to fire up the bus after all winter without starting. It didn't want to light cold so I fired up the generator (which started real nice), plugged in the block heater and went down the street got gas in the car, got some food to go, and shot the breeze for a bit. Got back to the bus turned it over and it started up fine. It idled rough a little bit but it hasn't run since October maybe. I ran it up till full air pressure. At idle I had 70 lbs oil pressure at idle. no complaints there. Love those Cummins.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Mine was just a hair shy of 77" mid-aisle. I've fiddled with things a bit and now it's 76 3/8". That's a 1990, but I doubt they changed much over the years.

I'm anywhere between 6'2" and 6'3" depending on my mood, and I feel pretty comfortable standing anywhere in the central portion of the bus. Then again, I used to enjoy spelunking and my posture isn't always the best, so my judgement of what's comfortable perhaps shouldn't be trusted
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Crown did apparently quietly add a couple inches to the interior height over the years. I've been driving a 1976 in commercial service that measures at about the 75" (6'3") mark in the middle of the roof. But the later ones appear to be ever so slightly taller. I will make the effort next time I'm at the yard to measure them all and get more accurate data. My personal ones are newer and may have different heights, but I haven't measured them since it's a non issue with me.

I never really notice since I'm not over 6 ft, and have always fit comfortably into the various buses, of all kinds, that I've driven through the years. Keep checking this thread and I'll report back when I have that info. It may take a while since I don't get there all that often, 50 miles, one way, don't 'cha know. Life in the Big City. Where Storage is impossible, and makes working on them VERY difficult.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:34 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I just got back from town and while there I measured the distance from the ceiling to the floor at the centerline of the bus and found that it is 75" ceiling to floor. I decided it was time to fire up the bus after all winter without starting. It didn't want to light cold so I fired up the generator (which started real nice), plugged in the block heater and went down the street got gas in the car, got some food to go, and shot the breeze for a bit. Got back to the bus turned it over and it started up fine. It idled rough a little bit but it hasn't run since October maybe. I ran it up till full air pressure. At idle I had 70 lbs oil pressure at idle. no complaints there. Love those Cummins.
I heard the Detroit 6-71 was a better option than Cummins? Aaaaand, since you shamelessly rubbed it in your Crown time while I still dream about one, I'll share that here in South Texas we are already enjoying the pool, no block heaters needed
Old 04-06-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Mine was just a hair shy of 77" mid-aisle. I've fiddled with things a bit and now it's 76 3/8". That's a 1990, but I doubt they changed much over the years.

I'm anywhere between 6'2" and 6'3" depending on my mood, and I feel pretty comfortable standing anywhere in the central portion of the bus. Then again, I used to enjoy spelunking and my posture isn't always the best, so my judgement of what's comfortable perhaps shouldn't be trusted
Spelunking??
Old 04-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
I heard the Detroit 6-71 was a better option than Cummins? Aaaaand, since you shamelessly rubbed it in your Crown time while I still dream about one, I'll share that here in South Texas we are already enjoying the pool, no block heaters needed
There are a lot of strong opinions on these engines. I think most would agree that Crown didn't put any bad engines in their buses, but people definitely have their preferences.

I have a 6-71 and love anything about it (the sound especially), but I honestly believe that the Cummins would be a better choice if you had the option. Partially because they have more horsepower, but mostly because it would be easier to find a mechanic in the middle of nowhere that could work on it if and when you break down.

There are several folks here who have both, so they'll have better insight on this. But... As Crown Guy mentioned in your other thread, the Crown supply is limited, so know the pros and cons of each engine, but don't pass on a good bus because any one feature isn't your preferred option.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:23 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Spelunking??
We as a community have committed ourselves to spending countless hours inside tiny spaces, contorting our bodies to fit in cramped bathrooms or doing gymnastics to climb over a sleeping partner to get out of bed. I see a lot of parallels with cave exploration
Old 04-07-2021, 01:34 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
My "old Crown" came with the Detroit 6-71 equipped with the turbo. It has always run smooth and got 10 mpg with a top speed of about 65 mph on a good day. On interstate 5 just going over an overpass could drop the speed by up to 10 mph. The grade going North out of Dunsmuir meant going 18 mph in 1st gear and being passed by heavily loaded 18 wheelers.

The "new Crown" (on its only trip up I5, to bring it home) was going 54 mph at the bottom of the grade and 62 at the top of the grade at Dunsmuir. I got about 6 mpg on that trip. The new Crown easily went 70 mph on I5 ( past redline but I didn't know it cause the tach quit working)..

For me my skoolie is a vehicle that I can stay in comfortably while I go traveling. As the primary purpose is a vehicle vs. a home, drivability is important. Part of drivability (to me) is enough power to make the hills and cruise at highway speed getting to the next destination or waypoint. To me both the Detroit and the Cummins sound cool. Based on experience the Detroit was easier to start in real cold weather. I never had a major problem with the Detroit, while I had to replace the Cummins already.

For the moment the scales tip in favor for the Cummins for the sufficient power and maintainability (after all they used them in 18 wheelers).

I won't be driving all the time, or staying in the Crown except when traveling. It is each to their own life style. For those who wish to stay in their skoolie, its all good also. I don't have any negatives to say about anyone else's skoolie as I have not driven or worked on anything but the Crowns.

The beauty of the whole skoolie experience is creating something useful and practical and making use of it when done. Back in the 70s I built three different Harleys and enjoyed riding them when done. I still have the third one (I built from scratch). In some ways those who build skoolies are like those who build custom bikes, we create and make use of our creations in a practical way.

Thanks for reading.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
My "old Crown" came with the Detroit 6-71 equipped with the turbo. It has always run smooth and got 10 mpg with a top speed of about 65 mph on a good day. On interstate 5 just going over an overpass could drop the speed by up to 10 mph. The grade going North out of Dunsmuir meant going 18 mph in 1st gear and being passed by heavily loaded 18 wheelers.

The "new Crown" (on its only trip up I5, to bring it home) was going 54 mph at the bottom of the grade and 62 at the top of the grade at Dunsmuir. I got about 6 mpg on that trip. The new Crown easily went 70 mph on I5 ( past redline but I didn't know it cause the tach quit working)..

For me my skoolie is a vehicle that I can stay in comfortably while I go traveling. As the primary purpose is a vehicle vs. a home, drivability is important. Part of drivability (to me) is enough power to make the hills and cruise at highway speed getting to the next destination or waypoint. To me both the Detroit and the Cummins sound cool. Based on experience the Detroit was easier to start in real cold weather. I never had a major problem with the Detroit, while I had to replace the Cummins already.

For the moment the scales tip in favor for the Cummins for the sufficient power and maintainability (after all they used them in 18 wheelers).

I won't be driving all the time, or staying in the Crown except when traveling. It is each to their own life style. For those who wish to stay in their skoolie, its all good also. I don't have any negatives to say about anyone else's skoolie as I have not driven or worked on anything but the Crowns.

The beauty of the whole skoolie experience is creating something useful and practical and making use of it when done. Back in the 70s I built three different Harleys and enjoyed riding them when done. I still have the third one (I built from scratch). In some ways those who build skoolies are like those who build custom bikes, we create and make use of our creations in a practical way.

Thanks for reading.
No, thank YOU por sharing, the reading was a pleasure.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
We as a community have committed ourselves to spending countless hours inside tiny spaces, contorting our bodies to fit in cramped bathrooms or doing gymnastics to climb over a sleeping partner to get out of bed. I see a lot of parallels with cave exploration
This is one of the few times that I appreciate being a quasi-petite 5'4"!

Tags
crown supercoach