Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
The Pig FLYS!!!

Greetings,
This has been a busy, exciting and ultimately satisfying week!
Spent early part finishing small details and checking, then re-checking lights, brakes, tires, systems, etc.
Went to my insurance company and said I wanted insurance on a 35' International MotorHome.
They wrote the policy and issued a temporary insurance card.
I finished the preparations on Wed and had a Dr. appointment midday on Thursday.
After $$ for Dr. and some antibiotics, I headed home - still early.
I checked with a truck weigh station and inspection station in the county seat about 20 miles away and they said they could weigh and inspect the bus.
The AC was ran on shore power for a while before we left, so it was pretty cool in there already.
I unplugged from shore power, plugged into the genset plug and went inside.
We cranked up the genset, fired up the AC, loaded the GPS software up on the laptop, turned on the FM and headed out........after the air brakes pumped up, of course....
The drive on the way over was smooth after the tires warmed up a little and got less square!
Drove right up on the scales.
Final weight with about 30 gallons of water, 2 full LP tanks, and 65 gallons of gas is 15,550.
With a GVW of 26K, I have a little over 5 TONS to spare!
This bus was empty otherwise except for about 80 pounds of tools in case of problems.
After the weighin, the inspector did a walk around of the bus, checked tires, lenses, lights, etc., then we took a drive around the block with the inspector onboard, he asked for a demo of the air brakes and I complied - in case you didn't know, a big old bus slows down pretty quickly when you step on them brakes!! then we drive up to the front of the inspection station, I had to demonstrate lights, signals, horn, wipers, and he walked off to his desk wrote the inspection sticker and stuck it on!
I paid my bill of 17.50 and drove off into the sunset - no, wait, that's ANOTHER story.
Wow, that was easy.....

I drove the bus over to the Court House, parallel parked on the street right next to it and removed the old plates. Got a few funny looks while doing this. The wife sat in the bus with the genset running and AC going while I went in - she said she was quite comfortable there.
Only in a small Texas town where you grew up for 50 or so years.....maybe?
They required 5 things:
Insurance
Old Plates,
Photos - I took 5 - 5 x 7's, they kept 2 - one outside, one inside to show it is livable, I guess?
Weight Certificate
My old title
After some paper shuffling, I pay more money.
A little more here than at the last stop!
I left here with a new set of plates, a window sticker and a title that says MH in the box.
Went outside, grabbed the tools and installed the new plates while the wife installed the new windshield sticker.
Cranked up, eased out of town and headed toward home.
Made it easily with only a few misses early when the engine didn't like some of the old gas.
As we were approaching the turn to the house, the motor was humming and I asked the wife if she wanted to cruise on over to the little town about 20 miles away for the insurance company to photo the MOTORHOME!!
We were planning on doing that on Friday, but it was still early, so........
Away we went.
Another smooth trip....
I showed them the title that said Motorhome, they took their photos with a polaroid and issued me a new card for FULL COVERAGE.
We left and headed towards home once again.
We stopped and filled up and checked milage.
It looks like about 5.5 MPG running 60 with the genset on.
The genset has 5 hours on it, so it probably drank a gallon or two of that.
Drove into the driveway, backed into her spot, shut down AC and genset, plugged back into shore power and locked up.
WOW, what a week and I still have a day left!

Enjoy.

https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 02:41 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Congratulations! Glad to hear everything went smoothly with the registration and chaning of the vehicle class.

Your conversion is an inspiration to me for my own. You have done a beautiful job on it.
My Bus Blog (hasn't been updated in a LONG time)
AK-Brando is offline   Reply With Quote