Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Good Lord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Not an F-250, Siverado, and not a bus,but you get the point. I'd rather be the semi driver.

That is horrendous.

TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Crazy. I read about that accident. Silverado driver was killed. Part of a multi car crash. Listen guys, when it is your time to go, it is time to go. Freak things can happen in any vehicle.
As my mom used to say about older people... "They ate their bread"!
The Silverado cut in front of the semi, taking away the safe zone, just before the big thing in front of the Siverado stopped. A prime example of the person running into the back not being at fault. Without video or witnesses, hard to prove. You can see the blood dripping on the ground, no way anyone lived through that.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #83
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
You sound like my Econ professor who tried to teach that SUV's and pickups were more dangerous than cars. I took him to task on that. The DATA shows that yes, more people die in accidents involving SUV's and pickups. That's all he wanted to hear. However, the DATA also showed that the ones dying were the ones in the unsafe little cars. Not surprising considering the laws of physics.
Yes, at the time I drove a 7,500 pound "one ton" Dually GMC. That truck had been rear ended 5 times in the "big city", sometimes while my 2,000 pound slide in camper was in the bed. In EVER CASE me and mine continued our trip while the other vehicle was towed.
I now drive an 8,500 pound empty F350 with a 9' utility bed. I no longer havce to deal with big city idiot drivers so it hasn't been hit but the laws of physics say I'm better off and so are mine.
And here's the bottom line..... ME AND MINE are my concern, you and yours are your concern. I drive big trucks because ME AND MINE are going home if you hit us. If you and yours go home that would be nice but I REALLY don't care because that's ON YOU.
Call me selfish if you like, I've been called worse, but it's not at all short sighted. The safe continuation of my genetic makeup is far more important for me to ensure than the continuation of yours....that's your job and pretty much EXACTLY what "natural selection" is all about. That's hardly short sighted unless the goal is a political rather than natural one.

Have you heard of the LAWS OF PHYSICS?

The F250 may have air bags but it's got far less mass and is substantially lower. It will NOT fare well in a collision with a 40' pusher. It will go UNDER in a side impact. It will basically stop dead in a rear impact once it finds the engine. And in a front impact it's going to be fatal at highway speeds even with the air bags as the F250 will stop in about 3 feet and then be heading backwards. The human body can withstand a LINEAR deceleration from 55mph to zero over a distance of 59 feet. Anything less and the internal organs are ripped from their attachments, arteries, etc. The F250 driver is going to decelerate in MAYBE 10 feet.....which equals death. Those in the BUS with over 3 times the mass will suffer a significant impact and likely suffer injuries due to restraints but the buss WILL NOT STOP and will instead push the F250 perhaps hundreds of feet as it decelerates. Those in the bus can survive.
That's how the LAWS of PHYSICS work in the real world.
SO yes, a 30,000 pound school bus is safer than an F250

Yes, it's about making money. No that's not the ONLY CONCLUSION.
There are many MANY variables. Safe construction is but one factor
Other MAJOR VARIABLES factor in:
CREDIT RATING - a general indication of your societal responsibility

DRIVING RECORD - an occasional speeding ticket is no biggie. Reckless driving, running stop signs, accidents....that's a red flag

CRIMINAL RECORD - a propensity for illegal or shady dealings increases liability.

DRIVING EXPERIENCE - a great driving record with 2 years "experience" is expensive or even uninsurable when stepping up to a huge rig.
AGE - until you hit 25 or 27 you're a high risk, especially if you're male.
So true. I could care less about your baby on board sticker, you are the one who needs to pay attention to the little crumb cruncher.
😀
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
So true. I could care less about your baby on board sticker, you are the one who needs to pay attention to the little crumb cruncher.
😀
I brake checked this woman riding my ass, almost sent her off the road. She pulled up at the next intersection going bat sh*t crazy Yelling "I have a baby on board". Really, why are you driving like that then, putting your baby in danger.
BTW, my brake checks are just lights, I stay in the gas.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Don’t get me started about other drivers lol
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:40 AM   #86
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
😀
But but but.....the children!
Now, in the interest of full disclosure, if a child.....an actual child not a teenager that should know better...... is involved of their own doing, I'll try to minimize their damages. I'll bang up my rig, blow a tire, hit a hedge, etc. but NOT if it means injury to me and mine. ME, maybe. But never mine, they are sacred above ALL others.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:41 AM   #87
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I brake checked this woman riding my ass, almost sent her off the road. She pulled up at the next intersection going bat sh*t crazy Yelling "I have a baby on board". Really, why are you driving like that then, putting your baby in danger.
BTW, my brake checks are just lights, I stay in the gas.
"ya should have thought of that lady"
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Indeed, you can buy a fully functional motorhome for $8k with low miles.
Go ahead, put your family in some winnegarbage el-cheapo death trap that crumbles into fiberglass and wood shards at the slightest incident on the road.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #89
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Quote:
The point here is making fun of someone building a Skoolie 'wrong' is the pot calling the kettle black. Having to do a roof raise at all is..."wrong".

FYI many here have Shuttle buses not school buses, and our favorite contributor does not have a Skoolie at all.
"...and our favorite contributor does not have a Skoolie at all..."
Aw, shucks [ blushes modestly ].
You are just too sweet!
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #90
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IH
Chassis: IC SB CE-300 39ft
Engine: DT466 w/Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 29500
Quote:
Let's try this again. When someone says "My kids safety is most important"
So they buy an old School Bus to DIY Convert into a motorhome to haul said kids around.
Not a Factory Motorhome because it is made of sticks-n-staples and will fall apart in a wreck. First off they don't make them of sticks-n=staples since the 1980's
They use aluminum tubing and fiberglass. Si whoever says that is already comparing a 1974 motorhome to their old School Bus. They still make sticks-n-staples TRAILERS.

What is safer is having a truck towing a trailer. The trailer has no kids in it. It does not need crash testing. It could be made of peanuts and glue sticks as a matter of kids safety. The truck has people in it. It has crash tests to test how safe they are, because that is what matters. So when "safety is most important" you would get a trailer. Well if safety is your "highest priority", you would not be living in a bus or trailer at all, you would live in a house rather than living on a freeway, and when you travel you would take an airplane. But that is going to far for safety.

With that settled, we can ask is a steel school bus safer than an aluminum-n-fiberglass motorhome? A steel school bus is very top heavy. They are prone to tipping over. You see this again and again they tip over when in accidents. This is just straight physics, the same physics used to say they are safer because they are made of steel.
Now let's take that top heavy bus and raise that heavy roof 24 inches. Safer?
And now add a rooftop deck. Safer?

Let's move on to DIY vs Factory made. How many times have I seen propane tanks INSIDE the bus? How many people really know how to do wiring correctly and safely?
How many times do we see generators with fuel tanks tacked on the back bumper?
The emergency exits closed off, the emergency exit windows closed off or removed.
Safer?

So when SAFETY IS MOST IMPORTANT you are lying to yourself that a DIY Motorhome made from an old School Bus is the best approach.

I did not even mention what is safer to everyone else, which is yet another point,
but it doesn't address 'my kids are most important' issue.
Because obviously driving around a structurally modified increased speed 25,000 lb vehicle in which you have no training or license can do huge amount of damage to those around you.

Insurance companies are already backing off here. But when a family's converted school bus catches on fire and the kids are killed, the government may step in,
and prevent everyone from DIYing motorhomes.
Dude, you need to STFU and just walk away. Your "arguments" are pathetic and all you are doing is convincing everyone how much of a clown you are.
Zork is offline   Reply With Quote