Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Skoolie

Re: Think I found a bus, any thoughts?

Personally 10 grand is a lot of cash to spend on a 22 year old bus. I'm not familiar with MCI's that much, but with the damage and repairs that need to be fixed plus any other repairs that may need to be fixed I would try to lower the price. If ceiling height is the only issue I know that a Thomas high top bus runs with a ceiling height of around 6'6" and you could go with a pusher with under belly storage.

Chris

thesaltydog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Ditto on the high headroom school bus. Not just Thomas - everyone offered some version of "high headroom" up in the 6'5" to 6'6" range. Even with insulation and paneling you'd have room to stand up in the middle of the bus. It's not as easy to recognize high-headroom on other models as it is with Thomas' distinctive roof hump, but the top of the passenger windows will be higher than the top of the door and driver's window. You'll be able to tell from inside either way.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

You won't need a CDL if it's a motorhome.

I suggest the boards at www.busnut.com for more advice...they're the coach experts there.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coaches are definitely a step up in comfort, if you don't need the ground clearance for less improved roads or campground trails. My concern is the extra six inches of width. Although most law enforcement probably doesn't know this, but around here that is supposed to restrict you to interstate highways with certain exceptions, just like double trailers. Keeping it to 8 feet may save you some 'splainin' to a sharp-eyed officer, or one with a bone to pick.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Motorhomes have been 102" wide for many years. The restrictions usually do not apply to motorhomes.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Coaches are the ultimate in cool, but thet don't have a real frame like a truck or schoolie, they use a truss type tube frame that ties the front and rear suspension/power modules together, it is main strength is between the floor and bottom of the windows with some extra stiffness added by the lower storage compartments and roof structure.
Before you buy this or any coach, check for rust and damage at the suspension mounting modules/points, also look real close for relatd damage on the inner structure on this bus, with the damage that the outer subframes show, I'd look real close for more damage in the rear suspension/power module framework.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote