Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA466
Rated Cap: 40 ish rugrats
Thomas Bus Demo Question

I want to remove the sidewall sheet metal panels under the windows to insulate with foam board. I will be recovering the sidewalls with wood of some type. The top of the panel seems to wrap horizontally and project under the windows. Can I remove these sheet metal panels without disturbing the windows (leaving the windows in place)?

The photo shows an example of the area I am talking about.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You can either cut it right below the windows, and remove the rest, or not, when you take out the windows, or take them out first and remove it all.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
You can but if you are keeping those single pane non insulated windows then you are going to eventually have to pull all the old caulking around each one to re-seal them cause they are eventually going to leak if not already and the easiest way to do that is to pull the windows frame and all out and clean and start fresh.
Regardless the top of that panel only looks like the window frame holding it in?
It is actually bent back down and forced into a track.
Quickest way to remove it is to take all the screws out , bend the panel all the way up to the windows and use a cut off wheel on a grinder to cut them with a helper if available to hold/catch as you cut.
Look inside of the window tracks for the screws that hold them.
I kept some windows and moved my emergency ones around to where I needed in my build.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
Dealing with this as well with our 1993 thomas, my solution is tin snips for now and dealing with windows later. The furthest ones back are hardest to get the snips behind. A lot of people will say just angle grind but I’m personally hesitant to just go crazy with power tools I’ve never used.

Gloves required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

That insulation behind the tin paneling looks to have held up well. I am thinking I may use 1/2" foam board over the existing tin paneling and some kind of wood work over that. I will lose two inches of interior width but I don't feel that's critical for my needs.

Been sick with a stomach flu for the past week bus should be able to get back to the bus Monday
Old 11-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrubin View Post
That insulation behind the tin paneling looks to have held up well. I am thinking I may use 1/2" foam board over the existing tin paneling and some kind of wood work over that. I will lose two inches of interior width but I don't feel that's critical for my needs.

Been sick with a stomach flu for the past week bus should be able to get back to the bus Monday
IDK if we're looking at the same insulation but the stuff above looks pretty nasty.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmrubin View Post

I'd take it out. I have seen worse pictures than the one you posted, but it's old, looks like it might have traces of mold, and it will not insulate nearly as well as the same space filled with closed-cell foam (either board, or sprayed).

The only reasons to leave it in are to save a few hours of work and a couple of hundred dollars. Those reasons might be necessary for some, but I wouldn't find them compelling ... but it's your bus

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Insulation

Not my bus or photo but a 1993 Thomas bus similar to mine.

I'm not building an Alaska cabin, just a camper to take south for the winter (think Snowbird). Sub freezing temps will be few and far between. I'm not allergic to mold, neither is my wife. I have been working around mold since long before it became a litigious factor. It will also be encapsulated behind the tin which I am going to leave undisturbed. I am going forth with a 1/2 inch of closed cell foam over the tin and then whatever paneling product I choose.

I do thank you all for your opinions and advice.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 78
Here’s another photo of my demo and possibly another reason to re insulate. Just my opinion, I’d be cautious just covering things up in fear of longer term problems like rust or rot. I just see it as a good time to reseal that old body up being that it’s about to turn 25 years old. (Which means no more emissions testing wahoo!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote