Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2022, 08:32 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Thomas bus, what is the hp?

Just picked up a 2005 Thomas safe t liner hdx, with a Mercedes 906 diesel. On the engine tag it says 260hp. On the info above the drivers side windshield it gives the model as mbe906210. I had the idea 210 is the hp. Most of the buses Iooked had mbe906210, and a few had mbe906190. This where I got the idea the last 3 numbers are hp. Which is correct? I am assuming the engine tag would be, but wondering if Thomas can derate them? And if so how to return it to the factory hp mercedes says it should be?

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I'm just guessing but I think you are correct. The engine is probably capable of 260 HP but it is not uncommon for them to be derated assumingly for fuel economy. The Mercedes engines are kind of rare so you're going to have fun finding a shop that can work on them but if you can find one I'm sure they can reprogram it and give you the full potential of the engine. Since Thomas is a Freightliner brand I would probably start by looking for a Freightliner dealership.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I'm thinking along the lines that you are, in that an mbe906210 would mean 210 hp. The tag in the bus might be wrong, or they swapped engines sometime along it's life. Anyone's guess really. But if the serial number on the data plate, and serial number on the motor plate match, I'd say someone got their wires crossed somewhere.

But if the data tag on the engine says 260 hp, I'd really question what it actually has. Logging into the ecu would tell all, as the ecu is what determines it. But not too often do the engine tag hp and ecu hp numbers differ. I'd say it's much more common to see bus tag numbers to differ vs what was really installed.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Since Thomas is a Freightliner brand I would probably start by looking for a Freightliner dealership.
Hey Ronnie,

When you reach out to the Freightliner dealership, be sure to call them first and not just drive in. Verify specifically that they'll work on the Mercedes engines. Unfortunately, our two closest Freightliner dealership/service centers won't work on a Freightliner with a Mercedes engine. That seems kind of crappy, and it's causing issues for a customer here, but it's apparently pretty common.

They are great engines, though. Do you have (want?) the Mercedes 166-page troubleshooting manual?
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:15 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey Ronnie,

When you reach out to the Freightliner dealership, be sure to call them first and not just drive in. Verify specifically that they'll work on the Mercedes engines. Unfortunately, our two closest Freightliner dealership/service centers won't work on a Freightliner with a Mercedes engine. That seems kind of crappy, and it's causing issues for a customer here, but it's apparently pretty common.

They are great engines, though. Do you have (want?) the Mercedes 166-page troubleshooting manual?

I do not have the troubleshooting manual, it would be good to have.

Will check serial numbers and see if they match, and go from there
Old 12-24-2022, 04:56 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Thomas B2B
Chassis: 281TS
Engine: MBE 926 7.2L 211HP
Rated Cap: 29,000 LBS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Just picked up a 2005 Thomas safe t liner hdx, with a Mercedes 906 diesel. On the engine tag it says 260hp. On the info above the drivers side windshield it gives the model as mbe906210. I had the idea 210 is the hp. Most of the buses Iooked had mbe906210, and a few had mbe906190. This where I got the idea the last 3 numbers are hp. Which is correct? I am assuming the engine tag would be, but wondering if Thomas can derate them? And if so how to return it to the factory hp mercedes says it should be?
Hey Ronnie, I think you are right with the HP being derated to 210. I have a MBE926 with the 7.2L engine and the shop told me that I had 211hp. I asked them if I could increase it however he said that it wouldn't make that much of a difference. My speed will still max out at 75 mph and I don't have any issue climbing hills with the 211 hp. I had looked online and saw that 926 could have as much as 330 hp. I have rolled with the 211 hp for the past 6 years and can't complain.
Tarheel Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 09:47 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 6.4 liter Mercedes MBE 900
Rated Cap: 48 passenger
I have a '05 Freightliner FS-65 Thomas with the MBE 906 engine. It's tagged as 210 HP. Fortunately, they'll work on it at Valley Freightliner, just down the highway in Mount Vernon WA.
HP is adequate, certainly no racecar.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

As it is currently it is adequate, good way to say it. I do tend to believe 210 is what it is set at, based on comments, and the way it feels driving.

A friend of mine can connect to the computer and find out. So I will go see him, and he has someone that can unlock 6th gear. This will make it a real nice highway cruiser, not bad the way it is though.