Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
Thomas / Freightliner Data cables, headlight booster?

Good day, skoolies! Hopefully at least one of you has some answers I'm looking for.

1. Data cables - It looks like each data cable to/from the dash, transmission and engine is a set of 3 cables: a black, a white and a metal stranded cable that ultimately ends up at ground. What is that stranded cable for? I originally thought that IT was the data cable, and have spent some time rewiring some that were on their last leg. Is there a big drawback if that stranded cable isn't intact? If it isn't, could that be a source of erratic dashboard gauges?

2. Exploded Diode - on Fuse Panel 4, the one by the main door, one of 2 diodes has exploded. What could cause this? What bad things can happen as a result? I can only assume it's been this way for a while, since I unplugged everything before I got into unwiring the bus. Can I cut the remnants out and solder a new one in place or am I going to have to find a new board?

3. Headlight power booster? The manufacturer is SUREPOWER, INC out of Oregon. Why would power need to be boosted? Is this a battery power conditioner? I plan on installing LED headlights in place of the halogens. Will this system blow those LEDs to pieces?

4. When taking the dashboard apart, I found 2 additional connectors that could hold a switches similar to the Fast Idle and ECU Diag switches, both going to the engine harness under the bus. What could these be? If one is saved for an exhaust brake option and I plugged it up, would it work? Relays and circuit diagrams on the fuse panels show the circuit exists.

RHOMBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

I would unsolder them to try reading numbers. If numbers are not legible, I would get same size or larger replacements. Just solder them in with same polarity.
Dave588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
UPDATE:

1. The stranded metal wire is data cable shielding, connected to ground. Why it needs to be shielded, I don't know. That leaves the other 2 wires to figure out now.

2. On the PCB4 diagram, the diode in question, D4-C, is listed as a 600v 3A diode between ground and ignition. On my board however, the diode D4 is a 6A60, 600v 6A that appears to separate BAT and GND, since D3 on my board looks to be handling IGN to GND. D3 also shows signs of stress. I don't know if this is an old problem or not. Hopefully I can get an online account with Freightliner/Thomas to access their schematics.

3. What I thought was a headlight booster is really a low-voltage disconnect system from SurePower. It is a model SPD1326F-0101C which I can't find any reference to online. At least I know what it is now.

4. I still haven't tracked down what exactly those 2 empty switch connectors are for yet.
RHOMBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHOMBUS View Post
4. I still haven't tracked down what exactly those 2 empty switch connectors are for yet.
My guess would be that the switch connectors are for optional components that weren't installed on your build. Usually the wiring will be standard across the product line. If the customer added a brake retarder to the order they would install the physical brake retarding device and connect it to the standard wiring.

My bus has inactive dash lights for a diff lock and PTO. Doesn't mean it has them, though (I wish it did!) . It also has several connectors behind the dash for hooking up controls for such things.