Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Super Coach II, 36 Ft. RE
Engine: Cat 3208T, MT643
Re: Thomas Saf-T-Liner, or Crown Super Coach II. Which one?

Air suspension confirmed in communication with the school district. They say that it decompresses over time while parked, but once the engine is started it comes right back up. Well, we'll see about that on Saturday.

Children drink kOOlaid, adults drink T.E.A.

Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Skooli ... +Coach+II/
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #22
Skoolie

Well, I had to let the Thomas go. I've been watching the bidding over the past few days, and it wasn't until this afternoon that it even went over $1000. But the bidding picked up in the final hours and minutes until the final bid at $4376.00. Just incredible. Especially when you consider that this is the third time this bus has been auctioned at Public Surplus, and the previous two times I think it went for somewhere in the neighorhood of $1800 to $2500. Apparently the previous winners flaked out and they had to relist it.

If I am interested in bidding on an auction, I always try to only bid once, right at the end. But since this went waaaayy over what I expected, I didn't even submit a bid. So I'll try my luck Saturday on the Crown.

Here's the Thomas listing if you'd like to have a look:

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auctio ... auc=455606

Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #23
Skoolie

Yay, I won the auction for the Crown bus! It was only $1700.00. But now I gotta tell SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). Had to drive the car home so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. This photo is a capture from the auction website so it'll disappear in a week or so. I'll try to get my own pictures up soon.

I had a Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moment this morning when I found out that the only reason it didn't start on Tuesday was because the battery switch was turned off. Today one of the staff was showing me around the bus. After he threw the switch it fired right up. Seems to run pretty well. Once the air pressure came up the bus leveled itself too. After turning it off I did hear an air leak under the bus so I'll have to troubleshoot that.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #24
Skoolie

Thanks, John. Yeah I do feel like I got a good deal. Of course there were some add-ons: Buyer's premium, weight tax, license, sales tax, title transfer, etc. Came to over $2k after all the smoke cleared. But still.

Yep, it has foglights.

Tow hooks front and rear. They look like they were made originally with that flat spots.

The seat seems comfortable enough, and it's an air suspension seat. This bus needs it. The front end can really be bouncy.

There does seem to be a slow and audible air leak somewhere which lets the right side down in about an hour but not the left. Will have to troubleshoot. Don't know what kind of switch it has.

A parts manual, service record, some extra green vinyl, and two boxes of parts (mostly red and amber light housings) came with the bus.

I just got back from driving it home. To get there I had to take two buses, a cross-Sound ferry, and ride my bike about ten miles on hilly country roads. That was a bit of a workout that my legs are still feeling.

The bus seems to ride fine, but there is a slight rattling somewhere in the steering linkage or front suspension. I can feel it in the steering wheel and hear it too.

2800 RPM puts me at 60 MPH. But there's a problem. After about 20 minutes of freeway driving between 55 and 60 MPH, the temperature light and buzzer come on. This happened twice (after stopping to cool down the first time. This seems odd because the temperature gauge (coolant) was only about halfway between 100 and 180 degrees F. The Transmission temp was at about 220 F. From there the temp continued to rise to about 180 (coolant) and 230 (transmission). I was under the impression that those are normal operating temperatures. Another thing to troubleshoot.

On the way home I also noticed something I hadn't earlier: some rust just above the windshield on the passenger side. Looks like it's blistering up from under the paint. Not sure what to do about that yet.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Regarding the rust above your windshield- if it's right up to the gasket, then my advice would be to remove the windshield, remove/treat the rust, touch up the paint as you see fit, and re-install the glass. I'm assuming it is right at the gasket (and under it, and all around in there), because it's a pretty common occurrence. Good luck, and have fun. It looks like a nice bus, and it sounds like you got a good deal, even after all the hidden charges.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #26
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-ted
Regarding the rust above your windshield- if it's right up to the gasket, then my advice would be to remove the windshield, remove/treat the rust, touch up the paint as you see fit, and re-install the glass. I'm assuming it is right at the gasket (and under it, and all around in there), because it's a pretty common occurrence. Good luck, and have fun. It looks like a nice bus, and it sounds like you got a good deal, even after all the hidden charges.
I'm probably going to have to remove one winshield anyway, just to get stuff in and out of the bus. I could hardly get my bike in through the main passenger entry door (it's a single in-swing about 20" wide), let alone get appliances like fridge and range in. When I do remove it for better access of materials and so forth, I'll look into rust mitigation. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: ford
Engine: 406 Ford
Rated Cap: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
I'm probably going to have to remove one winshield anyway, just to get stuff in and out of the bus.
Well, two birds w/ one stone! I'd never considered that aspect (of only having the narrow front door on a bus), and am glad to have a full width door in the back o' the bus. It sounds like it would be worthwhile to fabricate a second door somewhere- especially if you're prone to remodel, or collect stuff you that find along the way, or have a very 'large' relative.
Well, you've got your work cut out for you for the next good bit of time. Have fun, be safe.
bus-ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #28
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus
I'm probably going to have to remove one winshield anyway, just to get stuff in and out of the bus.
Well, two birds w/ one stone!
I wouldn't suggest doing that with a stone

Quote:
Get whatever you can from the district, because West Coach is no longer in business
That's horrible news, they were the place to go for anything Crown. Another sign of how much the bus industry is changing...

Congrats on the bus. I have to admit I'm just a teeny bit (read "extremely") jealous.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #29
Skoolie

Thanks, everyone. I was originally looking for a 40 footer, but now that it's parked, it turns out to be the perfect length at 36' for the parking spot I graded and landscaped for it. Leaves room for the mirrors and for walking around it.