Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #1

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: Freightliner (FS-65)
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 28
Thomas Saf-T-Liner Wiring

On the right side of the Saf-T-Liner (28 passenger) I have a battery box with two monsters, and then a second box which is mostly empty except for a bunch of cryptically labeled relays.

Does anyone know what this is about? (Image Attached I Hope). I was hoping to use some of the original wiring in this bus to set up a separate "house" system, but after opening the panel kind of freaked out, cursed and decided that whatever happens the "house" is going to be 100% separate from the Thomas / Chassis stuff.

Also does anyone know if they pre-wire these buses (2006) for speakers? Mine does not have any in ceiling speakers, but I found a non-terminated wire that looks an awful lot like speaker wire going out of the relay / switch panel.

In any case thanks for any info anyone has in advance.

Image - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3730425/ohtherelays.jpg

-cleaves

cleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaves View Post
On the right side of the Saf-T-Liner (28 passenger) I have a battery box with two monsters, and then a second box which is mostly empty except for a bunch of cryptically labeled relays.

Does anyone know what this is about? (Image Attached I Hope). I was hoping to use some of the original wiring in this bus to set up a separate "house" system, but after opening the panel kind of freaked out, cursed and decided that whatever happens the "house" is going to be 100% separate from the Thomas / Chassis stuff.

Also does anyone know if they pre-wire these buses (2006) for speakers? Mine does not have any in ceiling speakers, but I found a non-terminated wire that looks an awful lot like speaker wire going out of the relay / switch panel.

In any case thanks for any info anyone has in advance.

Image - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3730425/ohtherelays.jpg

-cleaves
Does your bus have A/C? Mine did and it all ran to something that looked exactly like that.
http://www.wildernesswandering.com/t...moving-the-bus
Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas Saf-T-Liner
Chassis: Freightliner (FS-65)
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 28
Hey your conversion site is great. Yes the bus does have the carrier split system. Which seems to work despite the immense rust on the under skirt components. (I think a moderate wack with a screwdriver would equal breakage! That's how rusted things are. It seems like they don't consider where they are putting this stuff or that they deny the existence of road salt.) So these relays are really all AC? It just seemed overly complicated.

I am also thinking that the onboard AC is going to go as it's only good while driving (esp. since idling the C7 is loud, environmentally unfriendly, and even not recommended by Cat.) Though I have thought about the idea of somehow moving the compressor and finding an electric motor to drive it. But then again at that point a dual duct portable AC, or even a mini split system would probably be better.

In any case thanks for the feedback I definitely plan on checking out the rest of your exploits once I'm not at work.

It also looks like your bus came without in-ceiling yell-at-the-chidrens speakers. Have you found any pre-wiring for speakers already in the mass of wire disaster?

-cleaves
cleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaves View Post
Hey your conversion site is great. Yes the bus does have the carrier split system. Which seems to work despite the immense rust on the under skirt components. (I think a moderate wack with a screwdriver would equal breakage! That's how rusted things are. It seems like they don't consider where they are putting this stuff or that they deny the existence of road salt.) So these relays are really all AC? It just seemed overly complicated.

I am also thinking that the onboard AC is going to go as it's only good while driving (esp. since idling the C7 is loud, environmentally unfriendly, and even not recommended by Cat.) Though I have thought about the idea of somehow moving the compressor and finding an electric motor to drive it. But then again at that point a dual duct portable AC, or even a mini split system would probably be better.

In any case thanks for the feedback I definitely plan on checking out the rest of your exploits once I'm not at work.

It also looks like your bus came without in-ceiling yell-at-the-chidrens speakers. Have you found any pre-wiring for speakers already in the mass of wire disaster?

-cleaves
Thanks!

Here is a stand alone picture of the relay. It was in the back of the bus, and the entire thing was dedicated to the A/C. I basically ended up removing every single wire from it. It was powering 3 large evaporators, 2 skirt condensers and 2 engine compressors.

The choice on the A/C system was a hard one, lots of things to consider. but if the condensers are in rough shape that might be the deciding factor for you. They are not cheap to replace.

Speaker wires? all sorts of wires. so many wires.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
keep the A/C.. school busses put out a TON of engine heat while driving unless its an RE bus.. otherwise your little units will choke while driving... unless you dont mind sweating on the road.. then add other A/C for when you are parked... much smaller units are needed for when parked..

yes that is a carrier wiring panel.. and rust on the condensors isnt abnormal and with a little cleaning of the coils and such will work fine.. the fan motors are replaceable easily if one of them is bad or squeals.. ive restored more than one of those systems... carrier no longer makes mobile Air, however when things go bad, compressors and condensors are pretty much generic...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, mystery, relays, thomas short bus