Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 05:07 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
bingo

Hi East Coast CB long time I agree with you completely 10000 lbs lighter than what its max GVWR is. A newly rebuilt 545 with a large auxillary oil cooler with a thermostatic valve and a fan on the oil cooler on a thermoswitch in the return line. Not to forget the parasitic drag on a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick.. I drove my shorty up an over the grape vine from bakersfield it got hot but i was suprised to be doing 45 mph at the top and all of that airbrake on a shorty and the brick shape was no problem all the way down to LA . I will let you know when I do Tioga pass.

Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee View Post
I was trying to simplify for the sake of the post. Let me start by saying I’ve worked for him for over 10 years and he is a genuinely good guy. The business is coming into a lump sum of money and he wants to help me.. it really is that simple. He gave me a raise 2 years ago. We talked about more money for me starting next year but with Covid and him getting older... the business is going in a slightly different direction. His offer to help me this way is simply a way to save me income tax and use business resources to get the bus done quickly and efficiently. I still have full control... he just suggested a newer bus because he thought it would be better and that it was just a question of budget. I still think I want to stick with the 2003 ish bus plan but just want to make sure that I’m not missing a good opportunity to get a newer bus... thank you for your insight.. it seems you think I should stick with the original.. older bus idea.
sorry if my post bothered you.
it does sound like a good chance.
as others have said 2004 early year or older and depending on what size you want and what you want your house to look will actually decide dog nose,pug nose,flat front front engine or rear engine.
WAS NOT trying to discourage you but have seen many people bitten by taking the boss mans help as PAY.
if you trust him and both of you are comfortable and honest with each other then go for it.
wish you luck with your decisions sir.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeBee View Post
Basically it would be in lieu of a raise I was supposed to get but things got a little tight due to Covid. He could give me the cash now but I would pay income taxes on it. His idea is to help with the conversion and then give me the title.

I would feel a little more comfortable going with what I already researched... but I want to make sure I'm not missing a good opportunity to buy a newer bus if that would be a good idea and it outweighs the emissions issues. But you are right... the repair costs would be mine and mine alone. Also.. if my budget is 25k.. I would have more to spend on the inside if I went with the 2002ish model. I am having a hard time finding one though.
Apprise your benefactor of the diminishing returns that Newer buses represent. A lot of humans believe newer is better. Not in the bus kingdom in my opinion. Newer means one is more enslaved to the dynamism of planned obsolescence.
Old 02-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Sorry if this sounds like we are whipping a dead horse here and I'm not saying your boss isn't a decent guy but you are potentially opening a big can of worms with this deal. If he wants to help you that's great but this has all signs of going sideways on you. One thing you mentioned earlier on and nobody seemed to notice was that you said when it was all done he'd "give you the title" that's a huge problem for me, is he now buying the bus for you? He's holding the title? In the business name?
What happens if the business has trouble and the collectors show up? Don't laugh that idea off, I once had a mechanic from a snowmobile shop give me a call to come get my sled out quick because the bailiff's were coming to seize the shop.
Tread lightly here and exercise your common sense.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:53 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Apprise your benefactor of the diminishing returns that Newer buses represent. A lot of humans believe newer is better. Not in the bus kingdom in my opinion. Newer means one is more enslaved to the dynamism of planned obsolescence.
Brant! man I havent see you on in YEARS brah!

The way you stated that- man... that's so well said!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #26
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Start at the basics:
- Are you enough DIY to work on your drivetrain? If not - you might want to spend some of the new found wealth on finding a GOOD bus (from somewhere without salt and rust) and GOOD service history....
- IF you do your own work - you might want to look for something less computerized - maybe a 8 liter Cummins and a Allison 2000 (the 6 speed - with the chance to open up the 6th), maybe not a REAL Skoolie, but a "Activity Bus" - and go from there...
I just would spend a little more on finding a REALLY good base, not worrying too much about the year.... and rather spend more on better quality build-out...
Hotwater heating, Solar, House-batteries, Fuel, Water, Grey-water, Black-water, etc....
Raise the roof, maybe a slide-out...., spend the money on quality...

Even consider a truck instead of a bus.... something like a 3-axle fullsize International Panel truck - 40 feet long....likely bit more money than a Skoolie, but could be a better choice overall.... - already has a high roof, all truck parts will fit perfectly....

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #27
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
OP, with all due respect, your benefactor has no experience in this bus community and has no inkling how flawed their thinking is. You should tell them that anyone in the know will tell them an older diesel will be much more reliable and durable than any '08+...

Especially Navistar. Most newer Navistar stuff is junk, and they were sued nearly to the point of bankruptcy for the problems their newer products incurred. I personally know a school bus driver that has been playing musical buses every couple months ever since the VT365 and MaxxFarce showed up. One has been sitting at a local truck repair shop for six months because of as-yet undiagnosed fuel system issues.

Most anyone here will tell you to avoid some 04+ diesels, and any 08+ diesel. It is, after all, YOUR vehicle and YOUR time going into this, you shouldn't have to change your plan just to get help. I have, however, messaged you with info on a unit I had to pass up that is perfect for your situation... All demo is complete, roof raise done, insulated, and some mechanical reconditioning as well -- a perfect blank canvas to start with, for a very reasonable price. Check your PMs.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:37 PM   #28
Bus Nut

And with the correct rear end you could have done 65 all the way.��
Old 02-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Brant! man I havent see you on in YEARS brah!

The way you stated that- man... that's so well said!
What up EastCoastCB? Every now and then I check back in to check the status of the IQ....seems a bit crazier than ever. Never have so many known so little. But ain't that Merica? Still got my Black Crown and a few other odds and ends. All turn key and ready to go as soon as we put COVID in the rear view.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210219-012640~2.png   FB_IMG_1613731971450.jpg   FB_IMG_1611744333524.jpg   00k0k_4kyF5cbp5Anz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg   FB_IMG_1613536209497.jpg  

mokibrabrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
What up EastCoastCB? Every now and then I check back in to check the status of the IQ....seems a bit crazier than ever. Never have so many known so little. But ain't that Merica? Still got my Black Crown and a few other odds and ends. All turn key and ready to go as soon as we put COVID in the rear view.
Beautiful!

I've got a lot of things to do too, once covid is in that rear view!

You still have that shorty fishbowl?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:07 PM   #31
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Bus

Hey Veebee,

PM incoming.
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
..Still got my Black Crown and a few other odds and ends. All turn key and ready to go as soon as we put COVID in the rear view.
Are those your firetruck campers? I have a C700 project, have not seen any of them as campers.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:31 AM   #33
Bus Nut

They are:. And they are awesome.
All mechanical and all with the Detroit 6V92TA and lots of ground clearance.��
Old 02-24-2021, 12:48 AM   #34
Bus Nut

I've got a lot of things to do too, once covid is in that rear view!

You still have that shorty fishbowl

Nope. All I have is posted above. But I'm always looking. I thought, well knew, that eventually my years in the Crown Kingdom would go away. But I never thought that the buses I once looked at with disdain, you know those pre 2000 rides, would look as good as they do today in the context of the absolute trash they make today. I mean it was routine for buses to have a 15 year life cycle. Crowns and Gilligs would literally last decades in service.

But now I long for those mechanical Cummins and those C8.3's and those DT466's. Not to mention Detroit two strokes and Big Cam 3's and 10 speeds. It's bleak out there.

And I think if I see another youtube Sprinter conversion I'll throw up in my mouth. I liked the gig when it was lonely. When there were no gurus and no place to go. Now it's just a free for all. Non conformist conforming. Little League, Soccer and Turtle tops and Sprinter Vans. Just seems like the heart has fallen out of the whole thing.
Guess things are not always as they seem. But it doesn't seem that way.��