Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Thoughts on bumper gaskets?

My bus came with a thick gasket (about 2" high and 1" thick) screwed into the base of the rear panels and resting on top of the top of the bumper. This was aftermarket (or whatever they call post-purchase mods in the school bus world) not from the factory. As far as I can tell, factory buses never have a gasket like this (it seems normal to have a gap between the bottom of the back and the top of the bumper) and it's only ever done by sellers trying to hide rust.

I'm finishing up rebuilding my rusted-out back corner, so I'm wondering whether I should put a new gasket like this on (it would hide a bit of unevenness in the bottom of the new panels) or do something else, like perhaps a small 1/2" gutter (like what's above the battery hatch).

Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm putting mine back on, it cleans up the transition and keeps dirt from cluttering that opening. I made new corners for mine and they are a bit longer than the stock ones and are just missing the bumper, no room to plug that trim in, so I have some cutting to do.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'm putting mine back on, it cleans up the transition and keeps dirt from cluttering that opening. I made new corners for mine and they are a bit longer than the stock ones and are just missing the bumper, no room to plug that trim in, so I have some cutting to do.
Do you know of any place that sells the stock ones? Or wheel well trim, stuff like that?
Old 08-27-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My bus came with a thick gasket (about 2" high and 1" thick) screwed into the base of the rear panels and resting on top of the top of the bumper. This was aftermarket (or whatever they call post-purchase mods in the school bus world) not from the factory. As far as I can tell, factory buses never have a gasket like this (it seems normal to have a gap between the bottom of the back and the top of the bumper) and it's only ever done by sellers trying to hide rust.

I'm finishing up rebuilding my rusted-out back corner, so I'm wondering whether I should put a new gasket like this on (it would hide a bit of unevenness in the bottom of the new panels) or do something else, like perhaps a small 1/2" gutter (like what's above the battery hatch).
Every IC I've owned or seen came with that lame rubber stuff.
I just rip it out and fill the screw holes. It traps moisture and dirt, contributing to the rear end rust.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Every IC I've owned or seen came with that lame rubber stuff.
I just rip it out and fill the screw holes. It traps moisture and dirt, contributing to the rear end rust.
My local school system runs ICs (just like mine only newer) and none of them has the gasket. Are these factory and some people remove them, or are they always aftermarket?

I don't understand the thinking behind the gaskets. When you're stationary, rain will drip off the back and onto the bumper with or without the gaskets, and when you're moving you'll get spray up there with or without the gaskets.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My local school system runs ICs (just like mine only newer) and none of them has the gasket. Are these factory and some people remove them, or are they always aftermarket?

I don't understand the thinking behind the gaskets. When you're stationary, rain will drip off the back and onto the bumper with or without the gaskets, and when you're moving you'll get spray up there with or without the gaskets.
They were just a cheap easy way to fill the little gap as far as I can tell.
IDK if they came on every IC but my Ward, my AmTrans, and my IC all had em.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:30 AM   #7

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter body
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 6 Window 20 Pass.
Hey musigenesis,
Did you ever find out if those bumper strips were factory or aftermarket? I just had a hitch welded on and the guy that welded it, took the bumper off to get easier access to weld to the frame and when he went to put the bumper back on, half of that strip broke off (its a 1995 carpenter) because its old and brittle. I was wanting to replace it for cosmetic reasons as well but can't find it online ANYWHERE. Any suggestions or alternative rubber trim that could be used? Thanks a lot.
sjsjgs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsjgs14 View Post
Hey musigenesis,
Did you ever find out if those bumper strips were factory or aftermarket? I just had a hitch welded on and the guy that welded it, took the bumper off to get easier access to weld to the frame and when he went to put the bumper back on, half of that strip broke off (its a 1995 carpenter) because its old and brittle. I was wanting to replace it for cosmetic reasons as well but can't find it online ANYWHERE. Any suggestions or alternative rubber trim that could be used? Thanks a lot.
I just went searching for that stuff again and found nada except this: https://www.unityparts.com/inat350-c...-rear-of-body/ which isn't rubber, of course. I'm not sure how this attaches to a bus - seems to screw up into the bottom of the body, which wouldn't work on my bus.

Let me know if you find anything, please!
Old 12-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

I saw that on Unity. I've actually got all my lights and brackets and lenses from unity. I can't find anything else. I was thinking about using some sort of pre-made caulking type stuff used for bathrooms around tubs and stuff. We'll see how it goes if we decide that route. I wouldn't even worry about it if it wasn't for the cosmetic aspect of it.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
I believe the metal one above is for a BB. This one below is for ward/amtran/ic

https://midwestbusparts.com/index.ph...ducts_id=11336

(Edit) Same supplier, rear bumper trim
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
I believe the metal one above is for a BB. This one below is for ward/amtran/ic

https://midwestbusparts.com/index.ph...ducts_id=11336

(Edit) Same supplier, rear bumper trim
Typical, why does it seem parts are always a lot cheaper for BBs?
Old 12-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #12

I checked that website but I searched for bumper trim, not trim above bumper. my stupid mistake. Thank you so much for the link. Just ordered it and now debating if I should put it on when it arrives or wait till the spring when we paint the bus. Its too cold here now to do any painting outside so we have to wait