Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Thoughts on polyiso with fiberglass facers?

I want to get polyiso boards for some areas, but I've only found them with the fiberglass facers rather than the foil.

I don't really want this, but I do want polyiso. Fiberglass facing just seems like an invitation for mold...

Anyone know of a good place to buy polyiso in the Pittsburgh area?

Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Is it glass batting or glass sheet? If it's batting, then yes there's a potential for mold. If its sheet, there won't be.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
Poly iso isn't my favorite. I've used it, but once water gets into it, it never dries out. If you want to use sheet foam use the pink or green stuff XPS I think. Water doesn't effect it and R value is about the same. In fact as poly iso get colder and older the R-Value drops.

You can also use Comfortboard by Roxul, great sound barrier but harder to find. It doesn't hold moisture, burn, melt or mold. It just does its job.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Don't know. I haven't gone to actually look. There's just a guy in my area that bought up a ton of overstock (new) polyiso insulation that he is selling at good prices. I called up to get details, and he said that it at fiberglass facing.

I'm assuming it's what I've heard other people call 'felt' facing. It's a thin layer, so not what I would traditionally call a batt. Though I'm not sure what qualifies as fiberglass sheet
Old 04-26-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctrembly View Post
Poly iso isn't my favorite. I've used it, but once water gets into it, it never dries out. If you want to use sheet foam use the pink or green stuff XPS I think. Water doesn't effect it and R value is about the same. In fact as poly iso get colder and older the R-Value drops.

You can also use Comfortboard by Roxul, great sound barrier but harder to find. It doesn't hold moisture, burn, melt or mold. It just does its job.

Yea, that would be an interesting choice. R-value isn't bad and the sound insulation is nice for sure, but there is no where anywhere near me that has the comfortboard. The batting is around, but it's all thicker than I want.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Skoolie

Chassis: Sold
The felt/paper faced Poly-Iso is for roofing work. Something for the glue to grab onto. I believe Home Depo can order in the comfort boad, or anyplace that sound proofs. I'm looking to use some on some renovations, I plan to order some extra for the bus.

jctrembly is offline   Reply With Quote