Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 02:33 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: CAT3126b
Rated Cap: 64
Tint, metal wall, and the mysterious port

Hey guys!

I finally got some time off work to work on my build. I started working on Sunday and have finalized my basic idea and set to it. I got the seats out, the old ceiling stuff down, and stuff ready to start building.

Question 1: window tint

What kinda tint did you use? I have been looking at it and want to tint my windows for privacy reasons as well as thermal reasons. I was thinking like 5% VLT but what did you guys do? What kind of finish when viewed from the outside? Mirror? Green? Black? What do you think?

Question 2: metal walls

I have the side walls all unscrewed but I can't get the interior skin off. It's free on three sides but the top side is still on there. It's like folded back over a lip or something. Is there a trick to that or just get some gloves and apply some M x A and hope for the best?

Question 3: the mysterious port.

I found an odd plug thing on the front dash by the door that looks kinda like an Ethernet port had a baby with an USB. It has a small red blinking light when the bus is off. What is dat?

Question 4: where might be an idea to source emergency roof hatch parts. I may have yanked on the hatch a little harder than I meant to when it was in vent mode and broke the hinge plastic part.

I'm super grateful for everyone's comments and how to posts so far. This really is a kick @ss community.

Keep turning wheels.

Alpha4005

Alpha4005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha4005 View Post
Question 2: metal walls

I have the side walls all unscrewed but I can't get the interior skin off. It's free on three sides but the top side is still on there. It's like folded back over a lip or something. Is there a trick to that or just get some gloves and apply some M x A and hope for the best?
They're probably tack welded under the windows. Pop the windows (which will also make tinting easier), and break the welds or cut below

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
That little port is an obdll connector, or on board diagnostics. It is how you connect to read codes, sensors, etc.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha4005 View Post
Question 3: the mysterious port.

I found an odd plug thing on the front dash by the door that looks kinda like an Ethernet port had a baby with an USB. It has a small red blinking light when the bus is off. What is dat?
If its not an ODBII port, pictures might help.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've been very happy with my SolarGard tint film. FYI about film and back lighting: even if you do 5% VLT "limousine" film, at night when there are lights on inside a person viewing from the outside will be able to see through to some degree. Silhouettes at the very least. It'll probably be a good idea to clarify what "privacy" means to you as far as lighting conditions and acceptable outside-to-inside view.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote