Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Tire Options

Just wondering...

Are there aggressive tires for skoolies, like an all terrain?

How about putting on the larger military tires?

Is it feasible to convert the rear dualies into single tires like the above, or the ones I see on big rigs (Super Singles)? I imagine they are probably very expensive.

Just thinking.

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:13 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
Just wondering...

Are there aggressive tires for skoolies, like an all terrain?

How about putting on the larger military tires?

Is it feasible to convert the rear dualies into single tires like the above, or the ones I see on big rigs (Super Singles)? I imagine they are probably very expensive.

Just thinking.

Yes usually they are marketed towards construction or mining/logging for the more aggressive types. In the ballpark of an all terrain to mud terrain. Usually a lower top speed though.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Skoolie tires are largely interchangeable with big rig and other commercial vehicle tires so there is a good amount of selection including more aggressive treads if you have a common size.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:19 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
And yes, you can convert the rear tires to the wide "super singles" ... at no small cost. Tires are about double the cost of the regular tires, but you only need two instead of four.
Pros - they look cool, save weight.
Cons - if you blow a tire, you're not going anywhere. Rims usually get trashed when this happens. Inability to swap tires for a "spare". Not all shops keep these tires in stock if you need road service.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
Bus Nut

After reading about the super singles, I think I'll stay with the regular ones.

I'm going to check out some of those industrial tires.

By lower top speed, what do you mean? I can't imagine wanting to do more than around 60-65 in a bus.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Some commercial tires such as those intended for log trucks are marked for a 55 MPH top speed. It's probably not due to the belts or sidewall construction, but the deep tread might "squirrel" about under a heavy load at high speeds, causing unexpected handling for a driver not expecting it.
Then again, I could be wrong. Anyway, just look for some suitable drive tires which you should be able to find easily enough.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
And yes, you can convert the rear tires to the wide "super singles" ... at no small cost. Tires are about double the cost of the regular tires, but you only need two instead of four.
Pros - they look cool, save weight.
Cons - if you blow a tire, you're not going anywhere. Rims usually get trashed when this happens. Inability to swap tires for a "spare". Not all shops keep these tires in stock if you need road service.
If it happens you might just flop on your side. This is why NO ONE puts super singles on single axles trucks. ONLY used on tandem truck and tandem trailers.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut

GREAT POINTS!

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
If you can find them, the Dynacargo Y601 tires are a good compromise between highway suitability (and good load capacity) and off-road use. We put them on a Freighliner "expedition" rig conversion and have been super happy with them. I actually went looking for more, recently, but it seems they're out of stock in all the usual places...maybe because they're Chinese imports? Who knows...but I highly recommend them.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
If you can find them, the Dynacargo Y601 tires are a good compromise between highway suitability (and good load capacity) and off-road use. We put them on a Freighliner "expedition" rig conversion and have been super happy with them. I actually went looking for more, recently, but it seems they're out of stock in all the usual places...maybe because they're Chinese imports? Who knows...but I highly recommend them.

Thanks.
Will look into that.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #11

Year: 1972
Coachwork: International
Engine: 555 Cummins
Im Still Working On My Bus, But I Do Have A Question, About The Super Single Tires..
I'd Like To To Place Them In The Front, Like A Dump Truck Or Crane Truck.

Wondering If Anyone Has Done This, And What Kinda Clearance Issues Did You Have In Fitting The Tire?
The Wandering Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Wandering dragon. Tell us why you want to do this. Do you have a weight problem on the front axle? Or just looks.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

They might work...if you never planned to turn the steering wheel! Super singles take the place of dually tires in the back and are, essentially as wide as two tires with a gap. If you put those on the front, you'd have serious interference issues. And, of course, you couldn't legally do that anyway. Those are drive tires, not steer, so they can't be put on the front...and shouldn't.

We did bump up tire size on a Freightliner ambulance conversion, to the Y601 DynaCargos I mentioned above. That required new rims which are wider...I think 9 inches...and some minor lift. It looks awesome and adds some ground clearance. Those are all position tires and they've been off road and 1000s of miles on the highway. They are speed rated to 85 mph, if I remember right...or at least to highway cruise speeds. But that's as "aggressive" as I'd dare on a bus or other big vehicle.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Here's what that looks like, by the way...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Expo Rig.png
Views:	28
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	52707
Old 01-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Like others have asked, why? Those dump trucks and cement trucks run the wide fronts because the want the surface area to not get stuck in soft soils. That, and they can load more weight with them, but they typically have an axle that will support the additional weight.

Your bus axle doesn't, so the extra weight capacity of the wide tires won't be utilized because of the axle limits.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #16

Year: 1972
Coachwork: International
Engine: 555 Cummins
Looks And I Was Hopin For Better Handing...

I Have A Car Going In The Back Of The Bus, But I Have A Ton Tag Axle Added In So Back Weight Is Not A Problem..
The Wandering Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I need new tires too. I knewI would need new ones soon, but I found myself stupidly trying to clear this muddy hill in the dark. I found myself up on a berm after try 4 because I wasn’t able to see how I was backing. But there you go, muddy hill, bald tires and obstinate stupidity got me stuck. I had to dig out the next morning and have my buddy yank me out with a chain after airing up the drivers rear tires. Seems I was running on a flat inboard tire.

So I too am looking for AT’s. I want to be able to keep a 75 MPH top speed if I can. Any recommendations (aside from the obvious one of not being a knucklehead)?
Attached Thumbnails
B70E4A9A-A356-4F78-8450-BB6B299C6C83.jpg  
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I like the BF Goodrich all terrains. Should be good for a shorty with 16" wheels. Have used them for years on my pickups. Not real good in deep mud, but great for all other stuff and snow.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I'll second the BF Goodrich all terrains. Been running them for decades. But I think I'll be switching to cooper's next time. BF Goodrich has discontinued the tri guard sidewalls. You might want to think about a locking differential in a unit like that with the heavy rear end they will pull you through. When I had the shop my wrecker and service truck both had them and it made all the difference in the world.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I'll second the BF Goodrich all terrains. Been running them for decades. But I think I'll be switching to cooper's next time. BF Goodrich has discontinued the tri guard sidewalls. You might want to think about a locking differential in a unit like that with the heavy rear end they will pull you through. When I had the shop my wrecker and service truck both had them and it made all the difference in the world.

Locking diffs are nice, have one in my bus, and my pickups I have had at least a limited slip or locker in them .
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote